Need your opinion....

annyo
annyo Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
At our local breast center, there is some controversy about whether a surgeon should be involved in a woman's case prior to any biopsy. In view of the fact that over 80% of biopsies have a negative result, what is your opinion on the following question: After having a workup which indicates a need for biopsy, would you prefer to have, after consultation with a breast navigator/advisor, the option of having a biopsy done as soon as possible (same day or in the time span of your choice) or would you prefer to be required to schedule a consultation with a surgeon prior to biopsy?

Comments

• mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    I would prefer to have the
    I would prefer to have the biopsy done asap rather than have to have a consultation with a surgeon prior to biopsy. I am not sure what the latter would achieve nor thebenefit of it.

I had the mammo and ultra sound, then was asked to come back for a biopsy scheduled two days later. Two days after that I had the results. Then I had the appoinment with the breast advisor, then surgeon. Personally I liked the way this was done.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member

I would prefer to have the
    I would prefer to have the biopsy done asap rather than have to have a consultation with a surgeon prior to biopsy. I am not sure what the latter would achieve nor thebenefit of it.

I had the mammo and ultra sound, then was asked to come back for a biopsy scheduled two days later. Two days after that I had the results. Then I had the appoinment with the breast advisor, then surgeon. Personally I liked the way this was done.

I had the mamogram and
    I had the mamogram and ultrasound done after my gyn found the lump. Went to surgeon next and she did the biopsy the same day to comfirm cancer. She assigned me a nurse navagator but I only talked with her on the phone once. Not much help from her. I felt good having my surgeon do the biopsy instead of a tech doing it.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Never thought about it.
    I had my appt with my PA in the morn, was at radiology by 1 for a mammagram which led to a sonogram and biopsy that afternoon (Thurs). Had the results Friday morn and saw the surgeon on Monday. Saw both chemo and rads Dr later that week and startd chemo 18 days after DX..

I really didn't have a lot of choices (or time) but I guess to me, that it makes sense to have confirmation of rather or not there is cancer there before seeing the surgeon. I'm sure there are many other scenarios but I've only lived my own.