just found this network so I'm new to this

Penney
Penney Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I found this network because I was searching the web to help me with all these feelings of what to do next. My younger sister at 35 dx and was cancer free for 10 years; just got dxed again in other breast, in chemo now. She had the BRACA1 and it's +; so my youngest sister (39) and me (52) just got tested a little less than a week ago. We don't have a strong family history actually my sister is really our only real family hx. (A great grandmother dx supposively at 42 and died in 70's from stomach) Both of my parents are very healthy people mom is 71 and dad is 76.

I'm just struggling with what to do with my results once we get them. Yesterday, my youngest sister (39) and I went to the breast surgeon because GYN found a small nodule last week in my sister's breast. Breast Surgeon said under normal circumstances he would have done needle biospy but since we are awaiting results for BRACA1 he wants to wait to see the results and then he said we will have a discussion.

Between my youngest sister and me we have 4 daughters; and my brother has 1 daughter. My girls are 23 & 20 so I'm really struggling with how to handle my results if positive. I know I'm jumping the gun here but I'm just trying to prepare myself for what may be ahead.

Anyway. . . I'm waiting on these results. . . I'm so grateful that my sister had the test to be able to give us the ability to at least make better decisions with the information.

Comments

• laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hi Penney
    I wish you and your sisters well. There's alot of waiting and worrying! But we get through it. Hoping for good news for you all. I also have 2 daughters, 17 and 20, and I worry about them too.
  • Penney
    laurissa said:

Hi Penney
    I wish you and your sisters well. There's alot of waiting and worrying! But we get through it. Hoping for good news for you all. I also have 2 daughters, 17 and 20, and I worry about them too.

thanks
    Thank you for your well wishes. . . if it were just me I'd do what I have too but my daughters and nieces just makes it so much harder.

My sister with BC now is providing my youngest sister and me a very positive outlook; and how she is dealing with it now for the second time much more empowered than her first. I think partly because knowing that this was a mutated gene and not her fault has helped.

I think to have to realize that our children may have to make decisions regarding their own future, is where it is really overwhelming.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Penney said:

thanks
    Thank you for your well wishes. . . if it were just me I'd do what I have too but my daughters and nieces just makes it so much harder.

My sister with BC now is providing my youngest sister and me a very positive outlook; and how she is dealing with it now for the second time much more empowered than her first. I think partly because knowing that this was a mutated gene and not her fault has helped.

I think to have to realize that our children may have to make decisions regarding their own future, is where it is really overwhelming.

I am on my second primary
    I am on my second primary and I do not have the gene. but I think there are ones out there that remain undiscovered. I worry about my two daughters as well. one step at a time, gather your info and make your decisions.
  • Penney
    carkris said:

I am on my second primary and I do not have the gene. but I think there are ones out there that remain undiscovered. I worry about my two daughters as well. one step at a time, gather your info and make your decisions.

what does that mean your on
    what does that mean your on your second primary? you are dealing with a second type of bc?
  • Penney
    carkris said:

what does that mean your on your second primary? you are dealing with a second type of bc?
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Penney said:

2nd primary
    I'll answer the question regarding a 2nd primary. My sister had a 2nd primary. It's a 2nd breast (in this case) cancer that is totally unrelated to the 1st breast cancer (also not metastasis or recurrance). For example, my sister was diagnosed at 30 and had a left mastectomy. She was diagnosed again at 55 and had a right mastectomy. That's why I had them both taken off the 1st time around.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    laurissa said:

Hi Penney

Hey Penney and Welcome!
    Hey Penney and Welcome! Praying for good news for you and your sisters!