juicing nutrition

zenmonk
zenmonk Member Posts: 198
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was reading another post about nutrition and a question came to mind. What is the actual nutritional value of the juice that we make? If you were to take a whole carrot and analyze the nutritional value of it and then juice same carrot and analyze the nutritional value of the juice what would be the difference?

Comments

• Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    I remember
    reading something Scouty posted about how 2 juiced carrots is equalled to a bag of carrots! I may be wrong, but juicing more, was eating less veggies, it's all in the juice, maybe she'll come and answer this better, even Emily.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    I think
    the electricity from the juicer zaps the juice and makes it better for you.
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Not sure if you are serious or not, just in case if you are
    Over the years that I've been on this board I've been called names a few times for not being to tell if someone is being serious or trying to be clever and/or silly with their posts.

zenmonk, you have a pretty cool name so I'll bite and answer your questions the best I can.

If you do any research on raw diets you will read all about the live enzymes that are in fresh fruits and veggies and how wonderfully helpful they can be to building up someone's body quickly.

As you can imagine, there isn't much juice in a single carrot so to get any kind of a decent serving size you have to juice several of them. In the summer I really like to drink straight carrot juice and depending on how big they are I juice 6-8 of them. I can't say that I have ever eaten 6 carrots at once. So you are getting loads of great healthy liquid that your body can use instantly. There is no need for the stomach or liver to have to digest anything and it also gives the digestive tract a break without losing any nutrition.

When you juice, the live enzymes that comes from it will die off fairly quickly (almost 50% in 15 minutes) so you want to drink it right away and that is why juice is so much better fresh then store bought.

Yes you lose the fiber benefit of the produce but that just means you make it up elsewhere. I firmly believe in maintaining an alkaline pH within your body. pH can be measured by blood, saliva, and/or urine with test strips. Cancer and many other disease thrive within bodies whose fluid system are too acidic. If you're interesting in seeing a list of acidic versus alkaline foods/drinks/etc. google chemical pH balance of foods. You should get a great list for free, DO NOT pay for one.

Back to juicing, when you juice a carrot it actually becomes more alkaline by 2 levels (there are 7 levels on the pH scale ranging from most acidic to most alkaline)!!!! So if you are really into helping your body fight, keep it alkaline.

Hope that helps you some.

Lisa P.
  • zenmonk
    scouty said:

Over the years that I've been on this board I've been called names a few times for not being to tell if someone is being serious or trying to be clever and/or silly with their posts.

zenmonk, you have a pretty cool name so I'll bite and answer your questions the best I can.

If you do any research on raw diets you will read all about the live enzymes that are in fresh fruits and veggies and how wonderfully helpful they can be to building up someone's body quickly.

As you can imagine, there isn't much juice in a single carrot so to get any kind of a decent serving size you have to juice several of them. In the summer I really like to drink straight carrot juice and depending on how big they are I juice 6-8 of them. I can't say that I have ever eaten 6 carrots at once. So you are getting loads of great healthy liquid that your body can use instantly. There is no need for the stomach or liver to have to digest anything and it also gives the digestive tract a break without losing any nutrition.

When you juice, the live enzymes that comes from it will die off fairly quickly (almost 50% in 15 minutes) so you want to drink it right away and that is why juice is so much better fresh then store bought.

Yes you lose the fiber benefit of the produce but that just means you make it up elsewhere. I firmly believe in maintaining an alkaline pH within your body. pH can be measured by blood, saliva, and/or urine with test strips. Cancer and many other disease thrive within bodies whose fluid system are too acidic. If you're interesting in seeing a list of acidic versus alkaline foods/drinks/etc. google chemical pH balance of foods. You should get a great list for free, DO NOT pay for one.

Back to juicing, when you juice a carrot it actually becomes more alkaline by 2 levels (there are 7 levels on the pH scale ranging from most acidic to most alkaline)!!!! So if you are really into helping your body fight, keep it alkaline.

Lisa P.

thanks scouty
    Yes, I was being serious. I just wonder about stupid things sometimes. I just see all this stuff that comes out the back of my juicer and was just wondering what the difference in nutritional levels were. To me its not even close when it comes to how I feel. Juicing always gives me that zap of energy as opposed to eating a raw carrot stick. I was just curious.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    zenmonk said:

thanks scouty
    Yes, I was being serious. I just wonder about stupid things sometimes. I just see all this stuff that comes out the back of my juicer and was just wondering what the difference in nutritional levels were. To me its not even close when it comes to how I feel. Juicing always gives me that zap of energy as opposed to eating a raw carrot stick. I was just curious.

been wondering too
    I've been wondering this same thing too. I admit I haven't juiced anything in almost 3 weeks, but I have been trying to eat more of the fresh veggies. I know both are good, but now you've answered my questiona and given me reason to get the juicer out and going again! Especially re. the alkaline level actually changing from regular carrot to carrot juice- interesting! I've been drinking water that has a low ph. I haven't gotten any ph strips- I guess I should. Any suggestions of where to find them?

Lisa
  • bidi
    bidi Member Posts: 11
    scouty said:

Lisa P.

Would like to know more about your cancer status
    I have been reading furiously about alternative therapies when my 50 yo sister was diagnosed with Stage 4 stomach cancer in mid-April. I now understand the value of alkalization, oxygenation and the live enzymes in fresh vegetable juices.

I have seen several messages from you about juicing so I am assuming you have had some positive effects from juicing. I was curious to know whether you are a cancer survivor and your history of trying to deal with the disease. I would love to hear about your case history.

Take care.
  • zenmonk
    bidi said:

Would like to know more about your cancer status
    I have been reading furiously about alternative therapies when my 50 yo sister was diagnosed with Stage 4 stomach cancer in mid-April. I now understand the value of alkalization, oxygenation and the live enzymes in fresh vegetable juices.

I have seen several messages from you about juicing so I am assuming you have had some positive effects from juicing. I was curious to know whether you are a cancer survivor and your history of trying to deal with the disease. I would love to hear about your case history.

Take care.

not sure who you are asking bidi
    Not sure if your asking me or scouty
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    zenmonk said:

not sure who you are asking bidi
    Not sure if your asking me or scouty

Great Benefits - Juicing
    You can click on Scouty if you want more info, or search her name and 2bhealed, they have both posted a lot of information on the benefits of juicing, they are both over 5 year survivors. 2bhealed had no chemo and scouty had some.