Question for those who did RAI anad Thyrogen

4butterfly
4butterfly Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
Hello, I am going to undergo RAI soon just waiting for my Thyrogen shots to come in. After I take the shots, what happens? Do I just go in 3 days later for the RAI? Plus I have 22 month old twins as well as 10 year old twins at home. I have told my doc I prefer to do the RAi in the hospital...he said since the radiology dept has to watch over me and I'm not sick, they don't encourage "inpatient stays" He did say He'll look into it. WHich leads to my other question, for thos who have done the RAI in the hospital, did your insurance cover it?

Thanks

Comments

• MLG
    MLG Member Posts: 52
    I think it depends on what
    I think it depends on what you are having done and how much of the RAI.
    For ablation after thyroid cancer removal it will be a high dose and you will have to stay away from people.
    If they are just doing a body scan w/a low, low dose it is different.

For me,to see if my cancer has returned, I had thyrogen injection 2 days in a row...felt fine afterwards.
    Third day went in for RAI. Mine was a low dose tracer so you don't need to be hospitalized because they aren't afraid of you giving it to anyone.
    Two days after that I had my body scan.

1 1/2 yrs ago when I had my TT, 6 weeks later my RAI and ablation, the RAI was a much, much higher dose and I had to stay away from people for 5 days.
    Because my children are older I didn't need to stay in the hospital because they knew not to come by me. My husband slept on the couch and they told me they had to stay 5 feet away.

It is a concern if people have small children that wouldn't understand and were still in the house, then the person would go in the hospital.

Hope this helps.
  • 4butterfly
    MLG said:

I think it depends on what
    I think it depends on what you are having done and how much of the RAI.
    For ablation after thyroid cancer removal it will be a high dose and you will have to stay away from people.
    If they are just doing a body scan w/a low, low dose it is different.

For me,to see if my cancer has returned, I had thyrogen injection 2 days in a row...felt fine afterwards.
    Third day went in for RAI. Mine was a low dose tracer so you don't need to be hospitalized because they aren't afraid of you giving it to anyone.
    Two days after that I had my body scan.

1 1/2 yrs ago when I had my TT, 6 weeks later my RAI and ablation, the RAI was a much, much higher dose and I had to stay away from people for 5 days.
    Because my children are older I didn't need to stay in the hospital because they knew not to come by me. My husband slept on the couch and they told me they had to stay 5 feet away.

It is a concern if people have small children that wouldn't understand and were still in the house, then the person would go in the hospital.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Thanks for the quick reply. My nurse called an hour ago to let me know that the Thyrogen will be in their office tomorrow, so I can take the first shot Monday, then she wasn't sure if I'm going to do a body scan first..is that the norm? My endo had told me 2 days of Thyrogen shots and the 5th day RAI. Unfortunately the hospital is a no go. I am so bummed I really don't want to stay home.
  • MLG
    MLG Member Posts: 52

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Thanks for the quick reply. My nurse called an hour ago to let me know that the Thyrogen will be in their office tomorrow, so I can take the first shot Monday, then she wasn't sure if I'm going to do a body scan first..is that the norm? My endo had told me 2 days of Thyrogen shots and the 5th day RAI. Unfortunately the hospital is a no go. I am so bummed I really don't want to stay home.

Is this to see where the
    Is this to see where the cancer is at or ablation?

If it is only for a body scan and you get a small dose there is no need to go in the hospital. You can be around people right afterwards with no problem.
    Like I said, it all depends on the amount.

If it is a larger dose and you have to stay away from people do you have family that your little twins can stay with part of the time?

My daugther was 14 and developmentally delayed. I put a TV tray in the entrance to the living room and she knew she couldn't go past that. Your 10 yr old twins would probably be fine with something like that.
    When I wanted to go into another room I made sure she went into another room.
    She was also in school all day and when she came home either my mom was here or her dad.
  • 4butterfly
    MLG said:

Is this to see where the
    Is this to see where the cancer is at or ablation?

If it is only for a body scan and you get a small dose there is no need to go in the hospital. You can be around people right afterwards with no problem.
    Like I said, it all depends on the amount.

If it is a larger dose and you have to stay away from people do you have family that your little twins can stay with part of the time?

My daugther was 14 and developmentally delayed. I put a TV tray in the entrance to the living room and she knew she couldn't go past that. Your 10 yr old twins would probably be fine with something like that.
    When I wanted to go into another room I made sure she went into another room.
    She was also in school all day and when she came home either my mom was here or her dad.

The endo had said he'll give
    The endo had said he'll give me 100mci. I talked to his nurse today and asked about the body scan, but she's not sure if he's doing that first. This is all new and alien to me, I read so much, but this brain fog or memory loss is unbelievable. My parents are coming to stay with the kids.

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions..I just want to know from someone who'se been through it..thanks!