I did it, I dyed my own hair

Kat11
Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I could not stand it any longer. I have always been a blonde or brownish color with blonde highlites. This white and gray just was not me.I have always dyed and and added highlites myself so I thought what could happen. I went to Sally's and bought a bottle of Miss Clairol and a small bottle of 10 volume developer. All is well, gray and white is gone. I was told by my hairdresser that to be careful with the color dye you use over gray. She said make sure that the word golden or red is in the color or I would come out to be a darker gray or very ashy. I used a light golden brown. It came out great, but I wish I had gone to a medium golden brown I did not want to have this light of hair while it is so short. I figure darker hair shows up better. So I guess if you do not want it to light and your covering gray then pick one shade darker than you want to be. My hair is still soft and feels the same as it did before except it's one inch long with no gray or white. Happy Coloring !!

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Sally's is a girl's best friend, isn't it?
    Yay for you, Kat!

(though I think you should have gone with blue or green or pink -- you know, in honor of springtime and Easter!)

:-) :-) :-) Traci
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    TraciInLA said:

Yay for you, Kat!

(though I think you should have gone with blue or green or pink -- you know, in honor of springtime and Easter!)

Hey Kat, thanks for the
    Hey Kat, thanks for the coloring tips...Mine is white too and I keep buying color , but I'm afraid to use it...good thing since it probably wouldn't have worked anyway...I got a really light blond... I think I'll try a darker golden blond...although I do kinda like Traci's idea..:)
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

Hey Kat, thanks for the
    Hey Kat, thanks for the coloring tips...Mine is white too and I keep buying color , but I'm afraid to use it...good thing since it probably wouldn't have worked anyway...I got a really light blond... I think I'll try a darker golden blond...although I do kinda like Traci's idea..:)

I was dirty blond with foils
    I was dirty blond with foils that covered a few strands of gray. now the hair is growing back dark with gray. (alot) dont love it!!!! too short to uncover let alone dye it but I will when I can. Glad it turned out well.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Yay for you, Kat!

I bet you look great Kat and
    I bet you look great Kat and feel great too! You ought to post a pic for us.

Hugs, Debby
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Cool.
    You go on with you bad self. I left my hair gray as sort of my Red Badge of Courage. I may die it sometime later. I am still on chemo.

Take care.

P
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Way to go, Kat. I had mine
    Way to go, Kat. I had mine colored, too, but I didn't have the guts to do it myself. It really does make you feel a little better, doesn't it? Enjoy!!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    aztec45 said:

Cool.
    You go on with you bad self. I left my hair gray as sort of my Red Badge of Courage. I may die it sometime later. I am still on chemo.

Take care.

P

Happy for you Kat!
    Happy for you Kat!
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    MyTurnNow said:

Way to go, Kat. I had mine
    Way to go, Kat. I had mine colored, too, but I didn't have the guts to do it myself. It really does make you feel a little better, doesn't it? Enjoy!!

Love Sally's!!
    I have done my own hair color all my life~and love going to sally's for all my goods! Glad everything turned out well. We feel good when we got our "color on"~ Amen?
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    I am so glad to have my hair back also.It is a white with gray now and a little black.It looks like I high lighted it.I get alot of compliments.Like you I miss me aulburn colored hair.I am 53yrs. old.I think if I were older I would leave it like this.But I probly will dye it one day.Good luck.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Join the club!
    It took me 3 tries to get rid of the "silver!" My hair came back in silver/dark on top and the sides but the back was dark like my natural color......I used semi-permanent the first two times......really made the silver a mousy brown.......gray/silver I found is hard to cover.....third time I used Nice and Easy.......a permanent color.......worked GREAT! Now my 2 1/2 to 3 inch hair looks like it did before chemo.......and it is CURLY.......and I do mean curly...like ringlets! Never had this before but my oncologist said it is called "chemo curl" and that it will more than likely revert back to it's pre-chemo state in 12-18 months...but I am enjoying the curls for now....easiet hair I have ever had......baby soft.....I just wash it, put GOT TO B GLUED in it and let it air dry...in the morning, I just wet my hands and run it through the curls.......that reactives the "glue" and away I go!

I find myself just running my hands through my hair.......so nice to have it once again! For those of you who "aren't there yet," be patient....once it starts growing back, it seems to grow like a weed!
    I wish all of well!
    Nancy
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Love Sally's!!
    I have done my own hair color all my life~and love going to sally's for all my goods! Glad everything turned out well. We feel good when we got our "color on"~ Amen?

Good for you Kat!

Good for you Kat!
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    how long
    How long has it been since you finished treatment?
  • helenmae
    helenmae Member Posts: 6
    Great job!
    Way to go Kat. As a retired hairdresser going thru all of this I refused to be anything but a redhead. Been one all my life so I found my color to be my saving therapy!! Peolple still ask me if it my own color and of course I say yes, "Look good feel better" is not just a phrase. Keep up the good work.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

how long
    How long has it been since you finished treatment?

mwallace
    I finished treatment in November 09, except for herceptin which I have to continue.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Kat11 said:

mwallace
    I finished treatment in November 09, except for herceptin which I have to continue.

Good for you Kat! When can
    Good for you Kat! When can we see the pic of your new hair color?

Sue :)