Does anyone ever say no. . .

Options
heidijez
heidijez Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
to surgery? I have gone through six rounds of chemo, now am being told left breast has to be removed. What if I don't want to have it removed? I had a couple of biopsies, one before treatment started, one during. It took over two months to heal from the infection I got from the second biopsy. I am scared that I will not be able to go through that again. Any advice/words of encouragement you can share with me?

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    You might have a heart to
    You might have a heart to heart talk with the surgeon. If you had the second biopsy during chemo that could be why it took so long to heal. Tell him/her your fears. Let them explain. Usually that helps.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Heidi,
    You need to know the "whys" of what is going on in your situation. a mastectomy after chemo is pretty standard practice, especially if there is residual cancer after treatment. Even if there isn't, you'd want to at least remove the tumor bed. Your tumor might have been too big for a lumpectomy, or there might be other issues, like a bit of cancer left after chemo. These are all good reasons for mastectomy. You've gone through difficult treatments to erdicate the cancer. You don't want to undo all that hard work and considerable suffering by leaving cancer in your body (if that's the case). It is ultimately your decision, but get all the facts first. Ask your doctor why you need a mastectomy; what the biopsies showed and what would happen if you didn't take the surgery. Also mention your fears of infection. Many people have surgery without infection, even if they have had them in the past. Good luck. You're going through a lot right now, but please get all the information you need to make an informed decision.

Mimi
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Options
    I agree
    Heidi,
    I agree with the others. Get all of the information to understand why the surgeon wants to do the mastectomy. Tell him/her your fears. Ask if you have to make a decision quickly or if it's OK to take some time. Have someone go with you to take notes and help you ask everything you need to. Or take a list and tape recorder. We always get more information than we can absorb. Get a second opinion if you have any doubts. It is your breast and ultimately your decision whether it stays or goes. So, make an informed decision that you can live comfortably with.
    Nothing about this nasty disease is easy--even if everything goes according to plan. I've learned that when they go through that list of possible complications that I might actually have some of them. I am so sorry your battle hasn't gone as smoothly as you (and we) would hope. Lots of positive thoughts coming your way!
    Hugs, El
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

Heidi,
    You need to know the "whys" of what is going on in your situation. a mastectomy after chemo is pretty standard practice, especially if there is residual cancer after treatment. Even if there isn't, you'd want to at least remove the tumor bed. Your tumor might have been too big for a lumpectomy, or there might be other issues, like a bit of cancer left after chemo. These are all good reasons for mastectomy. You've gone through difficult treatments to erdicate the cancer. You don't want to undo all that hard work and considerable suffering by leaving cancer in your body (if that's the case). It is ultimately your decision, but get all the facts first. Ask your doctor why you need a mastectomy; what the biopsies showed and what would happen if you didn't take the surgery. Also mention your fears of infection. Many people have surgery without infection, even if they have had them in the past. Good luck. You're going through a lot right now, but please get all the information you need to make an informed decision.

Mimi

I assume your surgeon and
    I assume your surgeon and oncologist want you to have a mastectomy to remove the cancer and some surrounding tissue to be sure you get clean margins. From what I know, chemo is usually done beforehand to try and shrink the tumor. Is that the case with you? Is a lumpectomy an option for you? I hope that you will continue some treatment, even surgery, if it removes the cancer from you. Why else go thru the chemo? Good luck in making your decision.

Sue :)
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options
    Yes, you have the right to say, "No".
    You do have the right to say, "No". Only you have the right to control your body. You also need to fully know and understand the consequences of your decision when you say, "No". In addition, you must be able to accept the responsibility of your decision to say "No" if the consequences turn on the dark side.

The advise all the sisters have given you is sound advice. You need to talk to your doctors/surgeons, tell them your conerns and fears, and ask them to explain so you totally understand why they are suggesting/recommending the mastectomy.

My attitude is, "What's a breast? The body is more important than the breast." What do you value? Though, I am a lot older than you. I was 65 with a speck of cancer (not a tumor) and my margins were not clear (O Stage DCIS). I became extremly aggressive and opted to have both breast removed because I also wanted breast reconstruction.

There are so many tough decisions to make. Gather all your facts.

By the way, I had 3 infections. The first infection came after the second surgical biopsy to give me clear margins. The second infection was 5-1/2 weeks after the mastectomy and 7-1/2 weeks after the mastecomy. The 2nd and 3rd infections called for the tissue expanders to be removed. The infections were more like a Pain in the A**. They just delayed the mastectomy and then the breast reconstruction.

Here I am now. Two good reconstructive breasts.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle