chemo and rosacea

tally
tally Member Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my first chemo treatment about a week and a half ago- TAC - and did really well. My question is I have Rosacea and I am going through a really bad breakout. It may just be from stress. Does anybody have this problem and if you have any tips it would be helpful. Also, did your chemo make it worse. Thanks.

Comments

• cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Tally
    I've never been diagnosed with Rosacea, but after I read your post I looked it up, and think that might be what I noticed during my chemo. I had some red patches on the sides of my temples that became pretty prominent during chemo. They have since subsided quite a bit, but I still notice them a bit when I'm having a hot flash (my last chemo was 2/17).

I'm sure it will get better after the chemo, but talk to your doctor to see if there's something to help in the meantime.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Tally
    I've never been diagnosed with Rosacea, but after I read your post I looked it up, and think that might be what I noticed during my chemo. I had some red patches on the sides of my temples that became pretty prominent during chemo. They have since subsided quite a bit, but I still notice them a bit when I'm having a hot flash (my last chemo was 2/17).

I'm sure it will get better after the chemo, but talk to your doctor to see if there's something to help in the meantime.

Take care,
    Cindy

I had a rash all over my
    I had a rash all over my face, and it felt like sandpaper, I used lindi cream, but mostly it resolved after a few weeks off chemo. It was a taxol rash. I guess it looked like acne too.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    carkris said:

I had a rash all over my
    I had a rash all over my face, and it felt like sandpaper, I used lindi cream, but mostly it resolved after a few weeks off chemo. It was a taxol rash. I guess it looked like acne too.

Hi Tally
    During each chemo, after a week or so, my face would break out with a big old rash that would resemble pimples with no head, but a few would get whiteheads on them. It would last a week or two. But it went away afrer the last chemo. But it's been since Dec and I still have some red dots on my cheeks. Not raised or anything, kinda like tiny red scars. Fortunately make-up covers them up. But during chemo, it was hard to cover up. Just another little side gift of the Beast.

Just keep a lot of good moisturizer on your skin and ask your onc about when you have your next appt.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    I didn't have chemo but I do
    I didn't have chemo but I do have rosecea and yes stress can create breakouts. I use metrogel (prescription) and when it gets bad or affects my eye I use tetracylcline. That seems to resolve it. Sometimes I am on the antibiotic for several weeks until it clears. I have had this for many years and it comes and goes and stress sometimes gives me an outbreak. I would not be surprised to hear that chemo makes it worse. Ask your oncologist if it could be from the chemo and what you should use. you don't want to use something that is contraindicated with your chemo. I always had a clear complexion in my teens. Now I am a 61 year old with zits. LOL
    Stef
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    carkris said:

I had a rash all over my

It is probably from the
    It is probably from the chemo, but, stress could be adding to it. Talk to your oncologist and your dermatologist about it. I am hoping it will be gone by the time you finish chemo, if not sooner. I am sure they can give you something to use in the meantime. Good luck!

Sue :)
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    fauxma said:

I didn't have chemo but I do
    I didn't have chemo but I do have rosecea and yes stress can create breakouts. I use metrogel (prescription) and when it gets bad or affects my eye I use tetracylcline. That seems to resolve it. Sometimes I am on the antibiotic for several weeks until it clears. I have had this for many years and it comes and goes and stress sometimes gives me an outbreak. I would not be surprised to hear that chemo makes it worse. Ask your oncologist if it could be from the chemo and what you should use. you don't want to use something that is contraindicated with your chemo. I always had a clear complexion in my teens. Now I am a 61 year old with zits. LOL
    Stef

I had really oily skin and
    I had really oily skin and pimples after my first AC. It went away after a month but once I started Taxol pimples and rash came back.
    Deb
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    carkris said:

I had a rash all over my

I didn't have chemo, so, I
    I didn't have chemo, so, I can't answer this. But, just hoping that it gets better for you.

Hugs, Debby
  • Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571
    Chemo and Rosacea
    I am checking the breast site from the uterine cancer site. I had chemo and radiation after hysterectomy. I have rosacea and had a flare up on the end of my nose. I attributed it to when my counts were down my body couldn't fight off the rosacea. I use Finecea 0.15% cream and that helps. One thing I noticed is when my counts were low and actually all during chemo and radiation my face wouldn't get red after I was in a warm shower---which it typically did before I started chemo. I am now 3 months post chemo and my face turns red after I get out of the shower just as before. Something else...since I have had cancer treatments I now love spicy foods which I know isn't good for roscea. Another thing is I think that the Decadron (steroid) IV that I got as part of my prep for Taxol and Carboplaten helped to keep my roscea in check even when my counts were low. A funny story...while I was getting radiation the radiologist/oncologist and my gyn/oncologist both commented on how beautiful my skin was. I told them if they took chemo and radiation like I did their skin would glow also! LOL
    Lori