Can't Believe It (Off subject)

BlownAway60
BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Yesterday when I came home about 4 pm I noticed a dog under my husband's truck. I mentioned it to him and he said that it had been around the neighborhood for a few days. We live on a very busy street, with a 1/2 acre lot and a big fenced in back yard. He said that the dog would probably get run over. About 8 pm he passed me in the hall and said "Do we have any dog food?" I said "No". We haven't had a dog for about 8 years. I should say hadn't had a dog. I asked him "Did you put that dog in the fence?" I already knew he probably did and now he wants to feed it. He said "I can't let it get run over." The only thing I had even close to dog food was a can of beef stew. Which of course we fed to the dog. It was gone in a second. I guess she had not eaten in a couple of days. Next thing I know we are off to the pet store for more food. Not only does he get food but he got a 40 lb bag of food, a dog dish and flea shampoo. I added some dog bones, just to balance it out. $70 dollars later we go home with the goodies for the dog which he is now calling Lucky. He says "Lucky she found him." It's a cute dog. Very friendly. Must have had puppies recently. Looks to be about a year old. Now he is talking about the vet and shots and tags and getting her spayed and everything else. She wasn't skinny so had not been put out for very long. I guess we now have another dependent. I wonder if I can claim her on my taxes?????

My husband tries to pretend he is a bear but I know better.

Donna

Comments

• pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    How sweet
    and how "Lucky" she found you both! You sound like you will be great doggie parents!

Enjoy!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    pattimc said:

How sweet
    and how "Lucky" she found you both! You sound like you will be great doggie parents!

Enjoy!

Exactly Lucky to have found
    Exactly Lucky to have found you . We know your husband is a sweetheart the way he has taken care of you !!!!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Congratulations to you and
    Congratulations to you and your husband on your new "Lucky". I can already tell you will be great parents. Good lucky!!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Congratulations to you and
    Congratulations to you and your husband on your new "Lucky". I can already tell you will be great parents. Good lucky!!

That's so kind and sweet.
    That's so kind and sweet. One never knows who is going to enter your life. Enjoy lucky
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Can Relate..
    I've taken in so many strays over the years, I've lost count......A cat that the vet estimated to be at least 16 years old.........an English sheepdog......who proceeded to eat up my new "mother's day" hammock.........she destroyed the pump to our pool.... ....she hadn't been spayed so when she went into heat our male dog tore up the carpeting in our den trying to dig his way out of the house to the back yard...haha....that cost a fortune to be repaired....home owners didn't cover it...an abused horse.....now that was interesting..it goes on an on......Sad to say we are now pet free and intend on staying that way......I love animals but I no longer want the emotional attachment or the work involved........I'd say "Lucky" goes both ways..........
    Best wishes
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    There Is Always A Reason
    There is always a reason for what enters into our lives. Lucky entered into your life as well as the dog's life. It was meant to be. If you are accurate about how old Lucky is, she's going to be around for a long time.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Lucky for all 3 of you!
    We just added a puppy to our life and what a diversion from so many things! Joyful! I hope things go well during the 'getting to know each other' time.

Sue
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    That's how we got our dog
    That's how we got our dog too. She was just 8 to 10 weeks old so someone dumped her. We were going to find her a home but ended up keeping her and it's been 10 years! I have to say she is a good dog (she has her quirks tho) and everyone loves her. BTW we used to have a cat we called Lucky because he was lucky he got caught. He was a stray kitty.
  • susanleeann
    susanleeann Member Posts: 58
    if you get tired of him, let
    if you get tired of him, let me know. you gota love a man with a heart that big. sounds like you have a big heart too.
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    He Sounds Like
    He sounds like my mom. She is always caring for strays. We are now taking care of 6 strays and she has 3 cats of her own. We have cared for dogs, cats, birds, chicks, bunnies, turtles, squirrels, to name a few. I am glad Lucky has a good home.

P
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    What a sweet story! You both
    What a sweet story! You both are kind, and giving people.
  • Flakey_Flake
    Flakey_Flake Member Posts: 130
    I am a dog lover ... can see
    I am a dog lover ... can see where you Hubby is coming from. I think you are too. (c'mon ... just admit it) My last dog was just too good to replace. I climbed a tree that stretched out over the river I live next to, and the dog tried to follow me. I don't think there has ever been any person who loved me as much as that dog. My boyfriend has a couple of large dogs, so I visit them when I need a dog fix. One is a great dane who tries to sit on your lap. Enjoy Lucky. I think you may have found a live-long friend ... just happens to be a different species.

Contratulations Donna! You are the proud mew mama of another member of the family!
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    I have been searching everywhere for you
    Donna,

A few days ago I got an e-mail about a dog named Lucky. I copied the story for this site, but for you in particular. Since I couldn't find this posting and since I could not remember your name, I named my posting "To the Couple Who Adopted Lucky and To Those Who Love Their Pets" in the hopes that you would see it and read it.

Well, just now I found you. So please look for my posting which I did especially for you. Presently it is on Page 2.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851

I have been searching everywhere for you
    Donna,

A few days ago I got an e-mail about a dog named Lucky. I copied the story for this site, but for you in particular. Since I couldn't find this posting and since I could not remember your name, I named my posting "To the Couple Who Adopted Lucky and To Those Who Love Their Pets" in the hopes that you would see it and read it.

Well, just now I found you. So please look for my posting which I did especially for you. Presently it is on Page 2.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

Thanks Sooo Much
    I read it and it was a beautiful story. We are having issues with Lucky. She does not want to stay in our fenced in back yard. She is still looking for the family she lost. She comes to attention with every passing car. The first time she got out was when she heard the kids across the street playing. I think the family that abandoned her must have had chilren. We cannot keep her in the back yard and I am fearful she will get hit by a car. She is such a sweet dog. I am really at a loss as to what else to do.

Janelle thanks again for the story. It did bring a tear to my eye.

Hugs back at you

Donna
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

Thanks Sooo Much
    I read it and it was a beautiful story. We are having issues with Lucky. She does not want to stay in our fenced in back yard. She is still looking for the family she lost. She comes to attention with every passing car. The first time she got out was when she heard the kids across the street playing. I think the family that abandoned her must have had chilren. We cannot keep her in the back yard and I am fearful she will get hit by a car. She is such a sweet dog. I am really at a loss as to what else to do.

Janelle thanks again for the story. It did bring a tear to my eye.

Hugs back at you

Donna

Donna,
    She may not be

Donna,
    She may not be looking for her family. She may just be an escape artist and that is how she came to be with you. We had neighbors that had a terrible time confining their dog. It was always escaping and they also worried about him being hit by a car. I am not sure what to suggest. My dogs were the opposite. When we first moved into this house we had this little 3 foot fence between the sideyard and the front of the house. They were lab mixes and never even tried to go over it. We eventually put in the larger fence so they were secure. But they would scale the 6 foot chain link fence that separated their dog run from the main back yard. Go figure. I hope you can find a solution to her Houdini act. Have you posted her picture or notified your local shelter in case her family is looking for her.
    Stef