Genetic Testing - Myriad - Only Patent - ISSUES if true - $3,200

lasimpson
lasimpson Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Please review the 60 minutes segment that ran last night.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/01/60minutes/main6354069_page4.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

It appears that insurance companies, including mine, will pay a portion of the genetic test but the Myriad does not except insurance payments. In addition, due to the patent it appears that further research maybe limited. Since I am adopted and do not know any family history, I provided a blood sample to Myriad this past Friday to determine if I will have a bi-lateral mastectomy. Other discussion threads show that other companies provides this service. However, 60 minutes states that Myriad is the only patent company.

I am more confused than before and will find my bottom line cost for this test today before they actually do the testing.

Good luck and I hope others can provide recent experiences/feedback. XOXOXO
Laurel

Comments

• scorpio37
    scorpio37 Member Posts: 20
    denied
    Mine was denied at first but then it was paid for. I also don't know who my mother is.
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    My insurance paid for all
    My insurance paid for all but $800, and Myriad has a payment plan where you can take several years to pay. It is unfair, and confusing to me, that Myriad can "patent" the genes. Don't they belong to the human race? Myriad didn't create the genes. My husband told me that there is a court case right now that is trying to change this.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    scorpio37 said:

denied
    Mine was denied at first but then it was paid for. I also don't know who my mother is.

Thanks for posting this. I
    Thanks for posting this. I missed 60 minutes! We were still celebrating Easter!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    JanInMN said:

My insurance paid for all
    My insurance paid for all but $800, and Myriad has a payment plan where you can take several years to pay. It is unfair, and confusing to me, that Myriad can "patent" the genes. Don't they belong to the human race? Myriad didn't create the genes. My husband told me that there is a court case right now that is trying to change this.

Yes, there is a court case
    However it will take time to open Myriad's patents. I am going to see genetic counsel tomorrow (April 6). I will greatly appreciate any suggestions how to approach insurance company to pay.Please any tips on insurance coverage for BRAC-1 and 2.
    Thanks
  • TulsaMomof3
    TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105

Yes, there is a court case
    However it will take time to open Myriad's patents. I am going to see genetic counsel tomorrow (April 6). I will greatly appreciate any suggestions how to approach insurance company to pay.Please any tips on insurance coverage for BRAC-1 and 2.
    Thanks

My insuarance paid for all
    My insuarance paid for all but $675.00 and they are going to let me pay that out over 24 months if I need to
  • New Flower

My insuarance paid for all
    My insuarance paid for all but $675.00 and they are going to let me pay that out over 24 months if I need to

Curious to find out if my PPO plan will cover genetic testing
    I just came back from genetic counseling. Yes the Myriad Genetic is the only one at this point. They hold patents for this procedure, including DNA isolation and genes identification. There are three types of testing Comprehensive BRACAnalysis (around $3,000.00) and two abbreviated: Single Site and Multisite 3 ($500 -$700). While for most insurance plans the Standards of care cover BC patients under age 50 with family history, or Eastern European decent, some specific plans negotiated by employers could exclude genetic testing. Myriad usually works with insurance to provide risks factors making them to pay.
    My doctor will write letter of medical necessity, I also signed a form stating that Myriad will not process my sample until my coverage is identified.
    New Flower
  • lasimpson
    lasimpson Member Posts: 15

Curious to find out if my PPO plan will cover genetic testing
    I just came back from genetic counseling. Yes the Myriad Genetic is the only one at this point. They hold patents for this procedure, including DNA isolation and genes identification. There are three types of testing Comprehensive BRACAnalysis (around $3,000.00) and two abbreviated: Single Site and Multisite 3 ($500 -$700). While for most insurance plans the Standards of care cover BC patients under age 50 with family history, or Eastern European decent, some specific plans negotiated by employers could exclude genetic testing. Myriad usually works with insurance to provide risks factors making them to pay.
    My doctor will write letter of medical necessity, I also signed a form stating that Myriad will not process my sample until my coverage is identified.
    New Flower

Genetic Testing Update
    The out of pocket cost for me for this test is $3,400. This is due to the very high deductible insurance plan I chose. Unfortunately, being unemployed I selected a high
    deductible not thinking I would have something like this happen.
    I have decided to cancel the testing and now I am trying to figure out what to do. I must have a mastectomy but not sure if I want to have both removed.
    Any suggestions? I have been reading posting on this site and am still trying to figure it out.
    Thanks.
    Laurel
  • New Flower
    lasimpson said:

Genetic Testing Update
    The out of pocket cost for me for this test is $3,400. This is due to the very high deductible insurance plan I chose. Unfortunately, being unemployed I selected a high
    deductible not thinking I would have something like this happen.
    I have decided to cancel the testing and now I am trying to figure out what to do. I must have a mastectomy but not sure if I want to have both removed.
    Any suggestions? I have been reading posting on this site and am still trying to figure it out.
    Thanks.
    Laurel

will your insurance pay for prophylactic mastectomy
    Sorry for your financial situation. First of all, I guess you need to find out if your insurance will pay for prophylactic mastectomy (non-affected side), Than if it will pay for both sides reconstruction. I guess you have you pay your deductible anyway for your surgery.
    Based on a lawsuit against Myriad Genetic the price would go down if they loose appeal.
    I was given a table by geneticist which shows probability based on age, family history, original, decent. Mine is 24.8%. I decided to pay for abbreviated test $500. myself

Very personal decision, difficult choice. Talk to your oncologist.
    Good luck with your decision,
    New Flower
  • kathyDDD
    kathyDDD Member Posts: 34
    had mine
    I had my genetic test done after my double mastectomy because I was concerned about my sister and first cousins. Yes, there is only one lab in Utah that handles this test. Because I already had cancer, my insurance company paid for the entire test. It took 4 weeks for my results to come back. I tested negative for both the BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 genes. However, they did tell me that my sister could still test positive. They also told us that since I had cancer, she would only have to pay $675 instead of $3200 for the test. Her insurance would not cover it because she was healthy. She did get the test and was also negative. Good luck.

Kathy