Anyone with fibromyalgia have breast implants after mastectomy?

mrsed
mrsed Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello everyone.
I am new to the board and haven't even done my profile information yet.
I was daignosed 3 weeks ago with invasive ductal carcinoma left breast. The first surgeon I saw wanted to do lumpectomy with radiation. The second opinion Doctor, ( who I am staying with)laid out options of mastectomy, mastectomy with implant, also mentioned Brachytherapy.

I live and hour from any hospitals so 7 weeks of radiaiotn sounds exhausting to me.

I saw a plastic surgery who would do implant or implants.

I see a radiation oncologist on Wednesday, then back to surgeon on Friday to make my final decision. Right now I don't have a clue what to do.

I've had fibromyalgia badly for 20 years. Because of the pain in my neck and shoulders I haven't benn able to wear a bra for some time. Just a soft tank top with some foam cups stuck in to give a little shape, but no lift.

I am not large busted but being 61 and nursed some babies, I am sagging.
I am seriously thinking about the implants because I then wouldn't have to worry about lifting my breats,(breast). In some ways it would be a blessing in disquise.
BUT I am afraid the implant surgery would cause additional pain and just not sure what to do at this point.
I also fear the radiation would cause even more fatigue than I already have, which is a lot.
Sorry to rant on.
if anyone has any experience with fibromyalgia or knows someon who does I would really appreciatie your input.

Thanks so much.
Mrsed

Comments

• DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    I had a lumpectomy, so, I
    I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't answer your questions. But, I wanted to wish you good luck. I am sure other bc sisters that have been thru this will post info for you.

Hugs, Debby
  • eileenmorales
    eileenmorales Member Posts: 3
    Fibromyalgia
    Hi,
    I just finished treatment for breast cancer. I was diagnosed almost a year ago with stage 2 breast cabcer on my left breast. I had chemo first, surgery, & then radiation. I have decided to wait a year and then make a final decision about reconstruction. I just could not make a decision and felt I needed to let my body heal. Right now I am having a flare up of fibromyalgia and I am really glad I am postponing the reconstructive surgery. It has not been very hard to get used to having one breast and I have not been wearing a prosthesis. I found them uncomfortable so I just wear sports bras and dress in a way that "hides" or makes it less obvious that I don't have 2 breasts. I think that right now my body is trying to recover from so many treatments and that is why I am having this bad flare up of the fibromyalgia. Anyway, I don't know if this helps at all but I wanted to wish you good luck also and let you know I am here if you have any questions.
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393

Fibromyalgia
    Hi,
    I just finished treatment for breast cancer. I was diagnosed almost a year ago with stage 2 breast cabcer on my left breast. I had chemo first, surgery, & then radiation. I have decided to wait a year and then make a final decision about reconstruction. I just could not make a decision and felt I needed to let my body heal. Right now I am having a flare up of fibromyalgia and I am really glad I am postponing the reconstructive surgery. It has not been very hard to get used to having one breast and I have not been wearing a prosthesis. I found them uncomfortable so I just wear sports bras and dress in a way that "hides" or makes it less obvious that I don't have 2 breasts. I think that right now my body is trying to recover from so many treatments and that is why I am having this bad flare up of the fibromyalgia. Anyway, I don't know if this helps at all but I wanted to wish you good luck also and let you know I am here if you have any questions.

talk to your doctor and do your research
    Sounds to me that you need to ask your doctor how all of that would affect your fibromyalgia and do some research on it also before you make any decision. Also I agree with Eileen that you definatley need to wait until after radiation and then let the plastic surgeon give you his opionion. I had a right breast mastectomy in January, going through chemo now but have not made any decisions on reconstruction yet. I may not do anything for another year until I really feel that is what I want to do. The bras with the prosthesis still hurt my right side where the drain tube was and where lymph nodes were removed if I wear them 2-3 days so then I have to go back to wearing camisoles with a foam breast form in the camisole for 3 days. So I go back and forth. I have to wonder it my side still hurts that much after over 2 months since surgery, what will it feel like after reconstruction? Will I even be able to wear a bra without pain on a regular basis. There are alot of things to think about and always remember that our breasts don't define who we are....it is our heart and mind that people really see and that draws them to us to love us and support us and for us to love and support them. Good luck with your decision and God Bless.
    Lorrie Balentine
  • jbutter
    jbutter Member Posts: 10
    Fibromyalgia
    Hi i had double mesectomy with stage 2 breast cancer with lymph node testing positive with immediate reconstruction done and i have fybromyalgia. I dont half to have radiation but i am starting chemo next week. I got through the surgery and it was tuff but with the pain meds it was managable. The reconstruction with the expanders in is very uncomfortable and when they fill them it is painfull of about a day or two but again the pain meds help. I you went through surgery and didnt have the reconstruction at the same time and half to have radiation you really need to talk to the plastics about the healing process with radiation. I sometime wish i hadnt had the reconstruction done now its is added pain i think you would only know how much you can take, having fibro for 10 years now hasnt been easy i know what you go through on a daily basis this was my worst worry with surgery is how long it was going to take to get back and now with the chemo and then another surgery ahead for the implants is alot to think about right now. Just take a day at a time you only know your body, maybe after all the radiation is done and you are healed you will feel you can tackle another surgery. I wish you luck and hope you will find your answer for you. HUGS, Jan