Sloan-Kettering

Marauders99
Marauders99 Member Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Thanks to the postings on this board I have just set up a consult with Dr. Chung at Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NYC to discuss more aggressive treatment options. I'm receiving my primary care here in New Hampshire and had my colon resection and upcoming Therashpere treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Florida. While my care to this point has been excellent (chemo, radiation, resection, more chemo) my current doctors now seem to be taking a reactive approach to me liver mets rather than a pro-active approach. I read this board every day and gather information and hope in big doses. The institutions that seem to be named often as being aggressive with metastatic colorectal cancer have been MD Anderson in Houston and Sloan-Kettering in NYC. I'm looking forward to my consult on May 3rd. Thank you all for the help. As mentioned above, I will be receiving Therasphere treatment on April 15th. I will be sure to post my experiences as well as results.
Scott

Comments

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Dr. Chung is my dr
    Dr. Chung is wonderful - very knowledgeable and very approachable. I see him in 3 weeks. My onc surgeon at MSK (Dr. Paty) referred me to Dr. Chung as one of the best.

Good luck. One note: There's Eastern Daylight Time and MSK time. Be prepared to wait (and wait) (did I mention and wait). Waiting room is comfortable - snacks et al. Bring a good book.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    abrub said:

Dr. Chung is my dr
    Dr. Chung is wonderful - very knowledgeable and very approachable. I see him in 3 weeks. My onc surgeon at MSK (Dr. Paty) referred me to Dr. Chung as one of the best.

Good luck. One note: There's Eastern Daylight Time and MSK time. Be prepared to wait (and wait) (did I mention and wait). Waiting room is comfortable - snacks et al. Bring a good book.

Don't tell anyone
    I go to SK too, the secret is to get there at 7:30 a.m. My infusion is about 2 hours so after my blood work, I wait around until 9:30 - 10:00 and often I am out of there by noon. When I see my Onc you can usually add another hour to the equation. They have a great B&N book store in the CitiCorp building and the Chrysler Building is a nice 20-30 minute walk if you're into strolling down Lexington Ave!
    -p
  • abrub
    PhillieG said:

Don't tell anyone
    I go to SK too, the secret is to get there at 7:30 a.m. My infusion is about 2 hours so after my blood work, I wait around until 9:30 - 10:00 and often I am out of there by noon. When I see my Onc you can usually add another hour to the equation. They have a great B&N book store in the CitiCorp building and the Chrysler Building is a nice 20-30 minute walk if you're into strolling down Lexington Ave!
    -p

Thanks but this is a f/u, not chemo
    I'm going for follow-up. I have my CT scan that day, and need to wait at least 3 hours before seeing Dr. Chung so that he has the results. My appt is at 4:30 :-(

However, when I had chemo, I always wanted early appts - aimed for first of the day.

Also a nice French restaurant on around 53rd and 2nd Ave - Mangeoire. We love it!
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    PhillieG said:

Don't tell anyone
    -p

Sloan
    Sloan is a great place. I have been happy with the care I have received there.

Phil...

Last week I stopped at reception to check in at 10:00 am and I was walking out the door of the building at 10:45.... That included bloodwork and port flush and pump fill. Not too bad. Sometimes it's too fast though. I bring a book and my PC to hang out and relax in the waiting room and I don't get the opportunity to do so, they finish so fast.
  • mom_2_3
    abrub said:

Dr. Chung is my dr

Dr P
    Dr P was my colon surgeon and I loved him....
  • mom_2_3
    Scott
    Scott,

Good luck on your appointment. Make sure you let us know how it goes. I don't think you will be disappointed with Sloan. They were aggressive with getting my liver mets resected and I am very grateful that we live close enough to MSK that getting there has been so easy. I would have travelled long distances to go there though.
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Scott
    Check out the discussion "tomorrow" posted by "iluvmms" posted on 4/5. She had the spheres several weeks ago and is scheduled for liver resection tomorrow. I'm not sure what hospital she is going to.

Good luck with your upcoming spheres and consult at Sloan.

Don't forget to keep us updated.

Take care- Tina
  • abrub
    mom_2_3 said:

Dr P
    Dr P was my colon surgeon and I loved him....

Dr. P
    I'm seeing him on the 26th as well. I'll be needing more surgery - we're trying to decide when is best.

I'm in love with Dr. P! (Yes, my husband knows, approves, and loves him, too!)
  • mom_2_3
    Scott
    Dr Chung is an oncologist or a surgeon?
  • abrub
    mom_2_3 said:

Scott
    Dr Chung is an oncologist or a surgeon?

Dr. Chung is a colorectal oncologist
    Dr. Chung is my oncologist, and oversaw my chemo. Dr. Paty is my oncologic surgeon, and helped me make sense of what was going on, enabling me to make rational decisions. The two of them are my MSK team.

I haven't been discharged by Dr. Paty yet as I will be needing more surgery to repair incisional hernias. He'll use that surgery to take another look around.

I'll be seeing Dr. Chung regularly for the rest of my life, as my cancer is considered incurable. He is planning for me to be his patient for a very long time.