Radiology Oncologist - Weekly checkups

Kiantae
Kiantae Member Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have completed 7 radiation treatments and had my first "checkup" with my radiology oncologist. Not really sure what I was expecting but he just had me open my shirt and he said, "Yep, looks good" and that was it. I asked if I should have swelling under my arm and he said "No". He asked how my arm felt and I said "Fine". Not sure what that little exhange is going to cost, but I was wondering what the experience has been with others. Up until this point, I have been very pleased with the medical staff treating me. Just not sure if this is normal. The gals that actually give the treatments have been great, so I have no complaints there.

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Very much the same in the beginning for me
    For the first few weeks, my visits with my rads oncologist were just like what you describe -- just opened the gown so quickly, I sort of felt like I was "flashing" him! :-)

Later on, when my skin started to change, he checked me out a little more carefully, and he was always willing to take more time with me if I had a specific question about something.

So yes, I think what you experienced is normal -- BUT, if you're concerned about swelling under your arm, and feel like he didn't really check that out sufficiently, definitely bring it up more firmly with him next time.

Traci
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    I agree w/Traci...early in
    I agree w/Traci...early in treatment, you won't be burned, so they just need to take a quick look. Like Traci, as time passed and my breast got redder and more tender, the rad onc would spend more time w/me to ensure no problems were developing, give me lotions and lidocaine lotion to use. Later on, itching was a big issue in addition to a very tender nipple and he took time to take care of those issues. The exam is usually pretty quick, depending on how your skin looks, but they'll take more time to discuss what you need to stay as healthy as you can or get healthy.

Good luck w/the rest of your rads! God Bless...
    Julie
  • Kiantae
    Kiantae Member Posts: 29
    jbug said:

I agree w/Traci...early in
    I agree w/Traci...early in treatment, you won't be burned, so they just need to take a quick look. Like Traci, as time passed and my breast got redder and more tender, the rad onc would spend more time w/me to ensure no problems were developing, give me lotions and lidocaine lotion to use. Later on, itching was a big issue in addition to a very tender nipple and he took time to take care of those issues. The exam is usually pretty quick, depending on how your skin looks, but they'll take more time to discuss what you need to stay as healthy as you can or get healthy.

Good luck w/the rest of your rads! God Bless...
    Julie

Thanks for the feedback.
    It eases my mind that this is normal for where I am in the process. Thanks!
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Kiantae said:

Thanks for the feedback.
    It eases my mind that this is normal for where I am in the process. Thanks!

Sounds about right
    But I saw the radiology oncologist every Monday. The first few were very quick but then as I started to get red, the appointments were longer. Good luck with rads!!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I'll have to ditto the
    I'll have to ditto the coments here. I, too, felt like I was flashing the doctor at first. (Traci, I love your examples!!) I actually had a change in my rad onco and no one ever told me. I was only seen once by the first guy and then all subsequent visits were with the next one. I finally asked what happened to doctor #1 and was told he moved away. H - E - L - L - O, DON'T YOU THINK YOU SHOULD TELL HIS PATIENTS?
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Mine didn't even look
    the first or second time, although the nurse did before the doctor came in the room. I go for my 3rd check tomorrow, morning, so we'll see how it goes.

So far, I haven't had any burning, so I think they would spend more time if there's something more to talk about. He did ask me each time if I had any questions or needed anything, but I didn't so it was a quick visit.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

I'll have to ditto the
    I'll have to ditto the coments here. I, too, felt like I was flashing the doctor at first. (Traci, I love your examples!!) I actually had a change in my rad onco and no one ever told me. I was only seen once by the first guy and then all subsequent visits were with the next one. I finally asked what happened to doctor #1 and was told he moved away. H - E - L - L - O, DON'T YOU THINK YOU SHOULD TELL HIS PATIENTS?

MyTurnNow, it's all becoming clear!
    So let's put this all together:

You finished chemo AFTER me, but somehow managed to get into rads BEFORE me, which we all know was because you shamelessly flirted your way in.

BUT, then your radiation oncologist actually LEAVES TOWN after seeing you only one time?!?

Coincidence? I think not....

:-) Traci
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    TraciInLA said:

MyTurnNow, it's all becoming clear!
    So let's put this all together:

You finished chemo AFTER me, but somehow managed to get into rads BEFORE me, which we all know was because you shamelessly flirted your way in.

BUT, then your radiation oncologist actually LEAVES TOWN after seeing you only one time?!?

Coincidence? I think not....

:-) Traci

Traci, I'm laughing out loud
    Traci, I'm laughing out loud for sure. So.....do you think it was ME???? Hummmmmm.....
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Do you live in central NY?
    I had the same experience with my rad onc. Laid back isn't the word! Then he went on vacation and the doc that filled in for him was Wonderful! He is pleasant, but....
    Like you said, the gals were fine and the nurse was excellent.

Sue
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Very much the same in the beginning for me
    For the first few weeks, my visits with my rads oncologist were just like what you describe -- just opened the gown so quickly, I sort of felt like I was "flashing" him! :-)

Later on, when my skin started to change, he checked me out a little more carefully, and he was always willing to take more time with me if I had a specific question about something.

So yes, I think what you experienced is normal -- BUT, if you're concerned about swelling under your arm, and feel like he didn't really check that out sufficiently, definitely bring it up more firmly with him next time.

Traci

I hope and I bet that your
    I hope and I bet that your rads oncologist will talk more further down in your treatment. As long as you are doing alright now, that is the main thing. Mine checked my skin twice a week and his nurse checked it more than that. Be sure and speak up anytime you have a problem. Hoping that you get thru rads with minimal side effects. Keep the creams on, be gentle with your skin and get lots of rest.