Arimidex - Side Effects

bjannis1
bjannis1 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have been on Arimidex for about a year now. In only the last week or so, I have started having swollen ankles, pain in the joints of my fingers and stiffness in my feet and legs. Could this be side effects of Arimidex? If so, why after almost a year? I will call my ONC on Monday but as usual these questions come up on the weekend.

Comments

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Sorry you are having these
    Sorry you are having these problems. I am not on Arimidex, but, wanted to say hi and to welcome you to this great site. I am sure someone who is on it will post to you with more help.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    It could be from the Arimidex.
    I don't know about the swollen ankles but the joint issues are likely to be side effects of Arimidex. Usually the side effects get better over time so I don't understand why you are experiencing them after a year. I would look to see if anything else has changed such as new meds or supplements that could interact to cause these symptoms suddenly.

Wish I could be of more help.

Roseann
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Sorry to hear about your
    Sorry to hear about your side effects!
    I have been on Arimidex about 5 weeks and have noticed some swelling in my fingers. The biggest SE that has effected me is a rash on my cheeks? I always had a good complexion, so I know this is from the Arimidex. It really bothers me everytime I look in the mirror....sigh.
    The Arimidex gives me symptoms of a mild flu that I hope I will get use to. Fatique, musle aches, nausea, hot flashes and a general feeling of 'yuk'. I think I have not been on it long enough to know if I can tolerate it, so I decided to give it 90 days (gotta give it a fair shot) and see where I am at that point.
    I was told that SE's can develope at ANY time (not neccessarily right at the start) and differ, of course, for everyone.
    Good luck...hope Onc will be able to help relieve your symptoms.
    Keep us posted....Pammy
  • JudyAS
    JudyAS Member Posts: 48
    I can tell you from
    I can tell you from experience it is probably the Arimidex. I only took it 36 days and couldn't even walk across the room, my ankles were so swollen, the pain in my joints was so bad and my lower back I just couldn't tolerate it. So they took me off that and put me on Aromasin, well it took 5 months for it to really take a tole on me, but when my hands were so swollen I couldn't bend my fingers I called my oncologist and he took me off it right away. I think he is going to start me on Tamoxifen in about 3 weeks after the Aromasin gets out of my system. Off it one week and I already feel better. So good luck, it sounds like you just can't take that stuff just like a lot of us. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Hugs Judy