Infusion port question

step@atime
step@atime Member Posts: 17
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a port placed in my chest in July for chemo infusion when I had my bilateral mastectomy. It has been a lifesaver!!! I will have it through probably Dec. 2010 due to Herceptin infusions through August. It will be another little procedure to have it removed and I am not going to let this stuff slow me down, so it will probably be during a school holiday weekend when I have it removed.

My question is: Does anyone know if there is any metal in the construction of the port? I have looked online, but can't find what the silly little thing is made of. Odd story, our principal reminded us to wear our nametags. When I finally found mine (magnetic and I had stuck it on the top of the door frame of my classroom so I wouldn't lose it!) I put it on and went about my day. My left arm started aching, then my shoulder and neck. It felt like something was pulling on my shoulder and I felt awful. At the end of school, thinking nothing of it, took off the nametag. Half an hour later, I feel great. Day 2 and 3, same thing. It was bumping my port a little, so I moved it to the right side on day 4. 30 minutes, I felt fine. That's when I started wondering about metals. It is no big deal to wear it on the right side. Everybody in school (town) knows who I am anyway and was shocked I could find the thing in the first place! :-) Just curious......

(one more weird story in the list of stories. I'll classify this one with the little magnets in the expanders setting off my son's bakkugans!)

Comments

• CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Ports
    Most are plastic/silicone. But there are titanium ports available. Here is a website of the manufacturer of most ports. Some may have small areas of stainless steel or titanium in them.

www.bardaccess.com/port-powerport

There are multiple kinds, you need to check with your MD what kind you had put in.

Glad you can wear you nametag on the right side! What the heck is a bakkugan? LOL

- Carrie
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399

Ports
    Most are plastic/silicone. But there are titanium ports available. Here is a website of the manufacturer of most ports. Some may have small areas of stainless steel or titanium in them.

There are multiple kinds, you need to check with your MD what kind you had put in.

Glad you can wear you nametag on the right side! What the heck is a bakkugan? LOL

- Carrie

Chemo port
    According to this information, ports may be made of plastic or metal:

www.breastcancer.org/pictures/treatment/chemo_port.jsp

I was curious about mine, so I tried to see what would happen if I put a magnet near it. I think it feel like the magnet was pulling toward it. but then I also have a vivid imagination too...so can't tell for sure.
  • Flakey_Flake
    Flakey_Flake Member Posts: 130

Chemo port
    According to this information, ports may be made of plastic or metal:

www.breastcancer.org/pictures/treatment/chemo_port.jsp

I was curious about mine, so I tried to see what would happen if I put a magnet near it. I think it feel like the magnet was pulling toward it. but then I also have a vivid imagination too...so can't tell for sure.

You Got Me ...
    Okay Grace, couldn't resist. I tried it too, with a refrigerator magnet. It was totally unattracted to my port. But I also have a vivid imagination.

I have a really strong magnet used to grab nails, etc off the ground. Maybe I should have tried that one.

Sharon
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399

You Got Me ...
    Okay Grace, couldn't resist. I tried it too, with a refrigerator magnet. It was totally unattracted to my port. But I also have a vivid imagination.

I have a really strong magnet used to grab nails, etc off the ground. Maybe I should have tried that one.

Sharon

Infusion Port
    Actually, as I think about it, not all metal is attracted to magnets, only ferrous metal will be attracted. So even with ports that have some metal in the composition, a magnet is not likely to have a response to it. If stainless is used, it would have to be medical grade, which is probably unlikely to have magnetic qualities. I'd love to hear some opinions about this. Gracie
  • step@atime
    step@atime Member Posts: 17
    It's titanium!!!
    I got online and looked up my model. It is a titanium base with plastic and silicone around it! Titanium is paramagnetic. It is attracted to magnets, but loses all magnetic properties when the magnet is removed. It is MRI safe because the magnets are not in direct contact. The nametag was sitting right on top of it and the layer of epidermis is not thick enough to be a barrier.

What GREAT useless trivia!!!!

(and a bakkugan is a little Japanamation toy that pops open when it hits a magnet. Ugly little critters! Thank goodness that phase has passed!!!)

Thanks to everyone who posted!!!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Ports

- Carrie

Mine is plastic. They showed
    Mine is plastic. They showed me what it looked like before they put it in. Mine looks like a gray plastic cap with a tube. You are MRI safe and air port safe.