Anyone herceptin without chemo??

lucks
lucks Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi had 1mm and 3mm invasive cancer - originally they thought it was only dcis, but my results came back ER+ and HER2+ (3) which is the highest so my oncologist wants me to do herceptin for a year (once every 3 weeks), but radiation before that. I met with another oncologist for an opinion and he wants chemo with herceptin, no radiation because their hospital is doing a clinical trial and I am a prime candidate - I felt like I was being a little pressured with his recommendation - he would not budge off his recommendation - even the type of chemo. SO I am going to a third oncologist next week. Anybody in my boat?

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Lucks, welcome to this
    Lucks, welcome to this amazing group. I was not in your same situation but wanted to say that what is as important as your treatment is your comfort and faith in your doctors. So, if 3 opinions is what it takes, go for it!! Good luck and keep us posted.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Lucks, welcome to this
    Lucks, welcome to this amazing group. I was not in your same situation but wanted to say that what is as important as your treatment is your comfort and faith in your doctors. So, if 3 opinions is what it takes, go for it!! Good luck and keep us posted.

I would also get another
    I would also get another opinion. Let us know what you decide to do.

Good luck!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Hi Lucks
    I am Her2 pos ER+ PR+. I have IDC with 2 nodes pos. Been on this journey for a year this April 15. I had surgery, Chemo 4 rounds AC the 12 rounds Taxol with Herceptin, 35 rads with continued herceptin every 3 weeks until around August. Need to do 52 treatments of herceptin total. You have to believe in your doctors, find one you feel good with. Good Luck.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Kat11 said:

Hi Lucks
    I am Her2 pos ER+ PR+. I have IDC with 2 nodes pos. Been on this journey for a year this April 15. I had surgery, Chemo 4 rounds AC the 12 rounds Taxol with Herceptin, 35 rads with continued herceptin every 3 weeks until around August. Need to do 52 treatments of herceptin total. You have to believe in your doctors, find one you feel good with. Good Luck.

Good luck with your new
    Good luck with your new oncologist!

Lex
  • chipoo
    chipoo Member Posts: 32
    I would go for the third
    I would go for the third opinion since both oncologists have such a different plan for treatment. I am ER+ PR+ and HER2+(3). I recently finished 6 rounds of chemo. with Herceptin and will continue with Herceptin for the rest of the year. I started radiation 2 weeks ago and will have 33 treatments. This will be followed by tamoxifen. I am really surprised that your first oncologist did not recommend chemo.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Alexis F said:

Good luck with your new
    Good luck with your new oncologist!

Lex

Yep, I'm triple+, IDC and
    Yep, I'm triple+, IDC and DCIS, stage 1C, 2CM with no nodes involved. Had chemo (Adriamycin/Cytoxan then Taxol),then had radiatioin, now on Tamoxefin and Herceptin every 3 weeks for a total of 17 treatments. I asked my oncol. about a trial and he said he didn't want me in a trial because my survival rate was so good, he didn't want to mess with it. This is the treatment that the ACS and the NCCN recommends for this type of cancer. Check out the ACS booklet called "Breast Cancer Treatment Guidelines for Paitents"

Hope this helps.
    Sher