Survivors

Options
GrandmaJ
GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This may have been done already, but I was wondering about all of the survivors out there. It would be reassuring to hear what kind of bc you had and how many years you have been a survivor.. I just finished my radiation (chemo and lumpectomy before) and just feeling unsure I'm going to survive this.... Seeing oncologist on Fri and got my blood work today that showed my white blood cell count was low....it was never low all during chemo...

Judy

Comments

• rrogers34
    rrogers34 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    I think that is a good idea
    I know each of us are very different, but it does help to know what kind of BC, stage, treatments (Chemo) what cocktail. I had a lumpectomy in Dec 2009. I am on Carboplatin, taxotere, herceptin. I have completed 5 out of 6 chemo treatments. I have stage 1 Ductal invasive, am ER+ and PR+ and Her 2 +.
    My last chemo treatment is scheduled for April 20th, then more surgery for wider margins on May 14. Then on to rads, and will stay on herceptin every three weeks for a year. I will also be placed on Tomoxofin.

My mother is a 20 year BC survivor. She had a mastectomy and one does of booster radiation and was on tomoxofin for 5 years. No problems since. I hope this helps. I feel the same way, wondering if things are working, scared of long term side effects, not to mention a reoccurence.

God Bless
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I had a lumpectomy, with 3
    I had a lumpectomy, with 3 of 15 nodes positive, was staged at 2B,ER+ did chemo and rads, followed by 5 years of arimidex, and as of last week am a 7 year survivor!

Hugs,
    Chen
  • karen0423
    karen0423 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    8 year survivor
    Hi Judy- I was dx 8 years ago today at 35 yrs old with Stage III, turmor 8 cm and node positive, Er+, Pr+ and Her2/Neu+++ breast cancer. I went through tons of chemo/radiation and surgery and am now on Aromasin. I did 12 rounds of Herceptin/Navelbine, followed by mastectomy, then 4 AC, and Taxol,I did have a life threatening reaction to the Taxol so I had to stop after 2 1/2 of them, then did radiation - then finished with 40 weeks of Herceptin - started on Tamoxifen and switched to Aromasin which I will be on until Feb 2012. I wasn't a candidate for reconstruction at the time of mastectomy and waited 7 years for it and so happy I did. I had the DIEP surgery in Jan 2009- I have had several surgeries since, but it was well worth it. I would do it again in a heart beat.

I want you to know that there is hope after the dx. It is very scary and each time you go to the dr. it will be stressful, but hopefully they got it all with the treatment.

I wish you the best!

Karen
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    karen0423 said:

8 year survivor
    Hi Judy- I was dx 8 years ago today at 35 yrs old with Stage III, turmor 8 cm and node positive, Er+, Pr+ and Her2/Neu+++ breast cancer. I went through tons of chemo/radiation and surgery and am now on Aromasin. I did 12 rounds of Herceptin/Navelbine, followed by mastectomy, then 4 AC, and Taxol,I did have a life threatening reaction to the Taxol so I had to stop after 2 1/2 of them, then did radiation - then finished with 40 weeks of Herceptin - started on Tamoxifen and switched to Aromasin which I will be on until Feb 2012. I wasn't a candidate for reconstruction at the time of mastectomy and waited 7 years for it and so happy I did. I had the DIEP surgery in Jan 2009- I have had several surgeries since, but it was well worth it. I would do it again in a heart beat.

I want you to know that there is hope after the dx. It is very scary and each time you go to the dr. it will be stressful, but hopefully they got it all with the treatment.

I wish you the best!

Karen

I was Diagnosed in May/June of 2008
    Stage III C at the age of 46. The tumor was ER+/PR +, Her2 -. I had radical modified mastectomy with immediate DIEP reconstruction, out of 21 nodes removed 10 were positive. I had 6 cycles of Taxotere/Cytoxan and 38 Radiation treatments. I am currently on Tamoxifen. I obtained a full range of motion, while still having lymphedema.

Wishing you and everybody the best,
    New Flower
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

I was Diagnosed in May/June of 2008
    Stage III C at the age of 46. The tumor was ER+/PR +, Her2 -. I had radical modified mastectomy with immediate DIEP reconstruction, out of 21 nodes removed 10 were positive. I had 6 cycles of Taxotere/Cytoxan and 38 Radiation treatments. I am currently on Tamoxifen. I obtained a full range of motion, while still having lymphedema.

Wishing you and everybody the best,
    New Flower

I had cancer age 34 16 years
    I had cancer age 34 16 years ago. back then it was only estrogen pos or neg. mine was ER neg. one cm no nodes. diagnosed while breast feeding. had CMF chemo for 6 months. one year later a local recurrance- radiation. fine until new diagnosis last spring in other breast(wish I'd had it removed was actually looking in to that) genetics negative. This one er pr pos, her 2 neg, lobular . other one was ductal. didnt show on mammo. or exam until I found it. just finished chemo, and am in radiation. then on tamoxifen.