Breast reconstruction

dottie68
dottie68 Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, I'm new to this site. I was found to have breast cancer 4 weeks ago. I had a Lumpectomy and a lymph node taken out. The Lymph nodes were fine, but found out the cancer is in my ducts. Now I am going to have a mastectomy. They talked to me about reconstruction after the mastectomy, but don't know if I am going to.
I hear people saying there is more than one surgery for reconstruction, and others say if I have radiation, I should wait untill radition is over.
Don't know what to do.
I am really thinking about forgetting about the reconstruction, for right now and just wear a bra and a prostectic(spelling) but don't know how well they will be when I move at work. My husband is great says all he wants is me, and it is up to me what I do.
I also went on a diet and am losing weight, if I get reconstruction, I might have another problem.
Sorry I just have a lot of questions.

Comments

• Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    Each of us is different and have different needs and wants. I will have my mastectomy and rads and do not know if reconstruction is in option at this point. I have inflammatory breast cancer and it may rule the option out.
    At this point I am not everly concerned, I am 57, ain't no one screaming for my chest and I do not think "it" will bother me. I have chosen to face that twist in the road later, and just rid the beast for now.
    Whatever your choice it is yours, it is great your husband is supportive.
    Peace
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    Mastectomy is tomorrow any last advice?
    I have enjoyed this site and been inspired by so many, so I am looking again!
    Long 6 months, chemo allegies, work issues,Mom broke both feet etc, all handable!
    Surgery is tomorrow am, a day or two in the hospital followed by radiation. Naturally I have become a nervous wreck and have failed on getting my much needed rest. I will have a caregiver for a week, and follow up in 2 weeks and then the rads, some PT and maybe 3-4 weeks out of work.
    Thoughts?
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    my thoughts
    Hi, and welcome.

I just thought I would give you my thoughts concerning reconstruction. There is no harm in getting a consultation with a plastic surgeon. Then you will have answers to your questions for when or if you decide to have reconstruction. I do know, from my plastic surgeon that the reconstructed breast doesn't change sizes. So, that makes it sound like waiting until you finish losing weight is the thing to do if you decide to go forward. You can also choose to do it several years from now. It's kind of nice in the whole cancer journey to feel like there is one thing you have total control over.

Best of luck with your surgery!!!

El
  • my thoughts
    Hi, and welcome.

I just thought I would give you my thoughts concerning reconstruction. There is no harm in getting a consultation with a plastic surgeon. Then you will have answers to your questions for when or if you decide to have reconstruction. I do know, from my plastic surgeon that the reconstructed breast doesn't change sizes. So, that makes it sound like waiting until you finish losing weight is the thing to do if you decide to go forward. You can also choose to do it several years from now. It's kind of nice in the whole cancer journey to feel like there is one thing you have total control over.

Best of luck with your surgery!!!

El

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Hi Dottie
    I had a right mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. (Still awaiting my final implant). To me, it came down to looking normal in a tee shirt. I am 49 years old, and will no longer be wearing a bikini, but still wanted a little bit of my normal cleavage, and did not want to worry about prosthesis.

I am not big, only a b cup, but having a single side is a little awkward. You have a normal breast hanging out as usual, and a mastectomy side that is flat. There are ways with the prosthesis, my MIL has a single side and has a hard time getting comfortable with the artificial breast, she has weighted and unweighted. In retrospect, she wishes she had a bilateral since she did not have reconstruction.

It is good you have the support of your husband, my hubby also supported my decision either way. There is no wrong or right answer, just the best decision you could make with the information you had at the time. I would definately advise a consult with a Plastic surgeon, just so you can have all the information available to you. I wish you the best of luck with this difficult decision.
    -Carrie
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    To wait or not to wait
    Dottie, I've opted to wait to decide on reconstruction. I had a bilat mastectomy so if I do it, I'll be getting a new set! My husband, too, said this was a very personal decision and he is supportive no matter what I decide to do in the future. At this point I don't think I could get behind another surgery having just finished up chemo treatments and beginning to feel better again. I'll decide in a year or two if I want boobs again - but for now I'm satisfied with my prosthetics - they look great under clothes.
    Blessings on you as you make your decision!
    Beth
  • cocarolyn
    cocarolyn Member Posts: 7
    implants
    I had a double mastectomy almost a year ago. I had expanders put it at the time of the mastectomy. Then I had to have another surgury to have for the silicone implants. This is normal. I had radiation after the expanders & before the implants. Please talk to a plastic surgery about reconstruction. The bottom line issue is the healing of the skin after radiation. This is truly a personal decision and will be OK either way. I hope your surgery goes well.
  • dottie68
    dottie68 Member Posts: 31
    cocarolyn said:

implants
    I had a double mastectomy almost a year ago. I had expanders put it at the time of the mastectomy. Then I had to have another surgury to have for the silicone implants. This is normal. I had radiation after the expanders & before the implants. Please talk to a plastic surgery about reconstruction. The bottom line issue is the healing of the skin after radiation. This is truly a personal decision and will be OK either way. I hope your surgery goes well.

thank you
    I want to thank you all for your thoughts and encouragement. you all have helped me greatly. I was worried that the prosteses would ride up or lose them. I am not going to have reconstruction and see what lies ahead down the road. I do have time. Just got to get over the shock, and try to get use to all of this.
    Again, thank you.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    dottie68 said:

thank you
    I want to thank you all for your thoughts and encouragement. you all have helped me greatly. I was worried that the prosteses would ride up or lose them. I am not going to have reconstruction and see what lies ahead down the road. I do have time. Just got to get over the shock, and try to get use to all of this.
    Again, thank you.

Sending you hugs and prayers
    Sending you hugs and prayers Dottie! We are always here for you!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    BethInAz said:

To wait or not to wait
    Dottie, I've opted to wait to decide on reconstruction. I had a bilat mastectomy so if I do it, I'll be getting a new set! My husband, too, said this was a very personal decision and he is supportive no matter what I decide to do in the future. At this point I don't think I could get behind another surgery having just finished up chemo treatments and beginning to feel better again. I'll decide in a year or two if I want boobs again - but for now I'm satisfied with my prosthetics - they look great under clothes.
    Blessings on you as you make your decision!
    Beth

I am sending you strength,
    I am sending you strength, hope and prayers! Good luck with your surgery!

Lex♥
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    DianeBC said:

Sending you hugs and prayers
    Sending you hugs and prayers Dottie! We are always here for you!

Hi Dottie!
    Welcome to the site that we're all glad is here but wish we didn't have to be on. I had my masectomy two years ago and still don't feel the need for reconstruction. One, my husband is OK with any decision I make and doesn't seem to mind and secondly, I'm not nuts enough about surgery, hospitals or doctors, not necessarily in that order, to put myself thru it! Plus I'm almost 60 and Playboy has not been exactly banging down my door begging me to be their centerfold! However, it may be a good idea for you to see a plastic surgeon just to see what one would say and what all is involved. I think it's all just very personal and you need to be comfortable in whatever decision you make. Good luck on your journey. Also I have no problems with the prothesis slipping up or out and it looks just fine inside a bra ( it even has a nipple!).
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Hugs and prayers, Dottie
    Hugs and prayers.

Sue
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Wishing you good luck. Take
    Wishing you good luck. Take your time in making your decision. As the others said, there is no rush. Good luck to you!
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    choice
    Every one handles their diagnosis a little different when it comes to surgeries...

Let me first start with I had just turned 36 when I was diagnosed...

So...For me, I choose to have a double mastectomy with expander reconstruction...
    * I had the mastectomy with expanders placed
    * followed by chemo and radiation
    * a second surgery to place the silicone implants
    * followed by a third surgery to have nipples reconstructed, and to have fat from my stomach injected into the one breast where it wasn't has full as the opposite side.
    * I will in about 3 months have tattooing to make areola's

For me... I just want to go back looking as "normal" as possible...

There are other choices with reconstruction.. such as a TRAM or Latis. where they will take fat and muscle from either your stomach or back to reconstruct you...

I would meet with your plastic surgeon and discuss your options.. and read up on it.. its a personal choice.... one that should not be entered into lightly...

I wish you luck with what ever choice you make.. What you need to keep in mind is at the end of the day, You need to what makes you happy! you are the only one who has to live in your skin and look in a mirror and accept what you see...
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Lynda53 said:

Mastectomy is tomorrow any last advice?
    I have enjoyed this site and been inspired by so many, so I am looking again!
    Long 6 months, chemo allegies, work issues,Mom broke both feet etc, all handable!
    Surgery is tomorrow am, a day or two in the hospital followed by radiation. Naturally I have become a nervous wreck and have failed on getting my much needed rest. I will have a caregiver for a week, and follow up in 2 weeks and then the rads, some PT and maybe 3-4 weeks out of work.
    Thoughts?

Hope you are doing well
    Lynda, I hope your surgery went smoothly and you are resting comfortably at home. You have had a long haul with the health issues. It is tough, to be sure. How good that you have a caregiver! As they always say on this site: It is do-able. Not pleasant or fun, but do-able. Please let us know how you are doing.