mediport

tally
tally Member Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
To any of you who had a port for your chemo- how long after your treatments before it was removed. Thanks for the info.

Comments

• pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Port
    I finished with chemo on October 9th and I have scheduled to have my port out on May 7th. It's been nice having it in this long for having my blood drawn. But I'm anxious now to get it out!

Good luck!
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    pattimc said:

Port
    I finished with chemo on October 9th and I have scheduled to have my port out on May 7th. It's been nice having it in this long for having my blood drawn. But I'm anxious now to get it out!

Good luck!

port
    I finished my herceptin the middle of March ... and as far as I'm concerned the port can stay in FOREVER! I am a real chicken when it comes to being poked and prodded with needles ... so I'm just fine with it staying in there as long as possible ... just in case I need it for blood draws etc.

On April 12th I go to the surgeon who did my lumpectomy and implanted the port ... so I guess I'll see what he says.

hugs.
    teena
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    tgf said:

port
    I finished my herceptin the middle of March ... and as far as I'm concerned the port can stay in FOREVER! I am a real chicken when it comes to being poked and prodded with needles ... so I'm just fine with it staying in there as long as possible ... just in case I need it for blood draws etc.

On April 12th I go to the surgeon who did my lumpectomy and implanted the port ... so I guess I'll see what he says.

hugs.
    teena

I'm on herceptin until Oct.
    I'm on herceptin until Oct. but asked my oncol. when I can have the port removed and he said the following week after the last treatment if I wanted. Real glad I have it but will be REAL glad to get it out.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Sher43009 said:

I'm on herceptin until Oct.
    I'm on herceptin until Oct. but asked my oncol. when I can have the port removed and he said the following week after the last treatment if I wanted. Real glad I have it but will be REAL glad to get it out.

I'm with Tina!
    I want to keep my port forever! Finished chemo 12-11 but still have blood tests and whatever else comes up and I have no veins and only one arm left for them to poke. I've been told they are good for 2000 pokes and I have even had 25, so hopefully I'm good to go for a while. I'll see what my surgeon says about how long they can stay in...maybe I can have it replaced???

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • n01kar
    n01kar Member Posts: 26
    port
    I finished my last round of chemo at the end of january. My oncologist told me that i can have the port removed at any time, it was pretty much left to me to choose the date. The risk involved in leaving the port in is infection. My port was removed 1 month after my last chemo.
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Port
    My surgeon wanted to leave my port in for a full year after completion of treatment, just in case. I wanted it out, so about a month after my last chemo, he removed it. Its been almost a year, but I can still feel the lump under my skin where the tube went up into my neck. Wonder if that will ever go away.

Hugs - Pat
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I had my last chemo Jan 28,
    I had my last chemo Jan 28, 2010 and it will be quite a while before any of my Drs want to talk about it coming out - at least a year and probably/possibly longer. Makes sense to me as my IBC was quite large with node s involved and it is one of the more aggressive forms - so I'd rather keep my post in the ready place just in case it's needed rather than having to have it re-inserted IF needed. Getting it flushed every 6 weeks is a small enough thing to do have the reassurance it's there just in case.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    n01kar said:

port
    I finished my last round of chemo at the end of january. My oncologist told me that i can have the port removed at any time, it was pretty much left to me to choose the date. The risk involved in leaving the port in is infection. My port was removed 1 month after my last chemo.

Good luck to you when you
    Good luck to you when you decide to get your port out. It seems to vary from survivor to survivor.

Leeza
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    n01kar said:

port

Sorry
    double post
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    All Drs seem to respond
    All Drs seem to respond differently~mine "made" me keep the port in for a YEAR after chemo...it wasn't physically painful but it was not good for my psyche at all! I kept thinking my Dr somehow KNEW I was going to have a recurrance and that's why he didn't authorize the removal. Well, I am now a 7 year survivor! YAY

Hugs,
    Chen♥