femara and supplements?

cantthink
cantthink Member Posts: 36
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My onc didn't mention anything about supplements. What kind of calcium works? I'm on femara, I got 2 kinds of vitamin D, a b complex, but there are so many kinds of calcium,
anyone know what is most effective? Anything else recommended? thank you and have a good day!

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    I don't know what you should
    I don't know what you should take while on Femara, as I am not on it. Your oncologist should supply you with this information, or, the nutritionist at your cancer center. My oncologist ran blood tests on me to see about my Vitamin D level and mine was fine without a supplement. I do take extra calcium as he prescribed for me. Let us know what you find out.

Sue :)
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Ritzy said:

I don't know what you should
    I don't know what you should take while on Femara, as I am not on it. Your oncologist should supply you with this information, or, the nutritionist at your cancer center. My oncologist ran blood tests on me to see about my Vitamin D level and mine was fine without a supplement. I do take extra calcium as he prescribed for me. Let us know what you find out.

Sue :)

Onc only asked if I was taking Calcium and Vit D
    Onc only asked if I was taking Calcium and Vit D. I have been taking 2 chewable Caltrate 600+D every day for quite a while. My regular GP recommended it when I started going through menopause and my onc just said to keep taking it. I take the chewable because it is hard for me to swallow big pills. I also take chewable Centrum Silver, Garlic, Magnesium and Zinc. I started taking Femara last Saturday.

Donna
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399

Onc only asked if I was taking Calcium and Vit D
    Onc only asked if I was taking Calcium and Vit D. I have been taking 2 chewable Caltrate 600+D every day for quite a while. My regular GP recommended it when I started going through menopause and my onc just said to keep taking it. I take the chewable because it is hard for me to swallow big pills. I also take chewable Centrum Silver, Garlic, Magnesium and Zinc. I started taking Femara last Saturday.

Donna

No particular formula for me
    My oncologist simply said I should take calcium and vitamin D. He wasn't particular about the formula, as long as it was the dosage he recommended. In fact, he said I could just chew Tums if I wanted to, since they are mostly calcium. But those things are like eating chalk, I only use them if I have acid stomach (very rare). I can swallow pills, but I don't like to. So I add the calcium, vitamin D and the multi to my smoothie in the morning and blend it all up. The Femara pill is very small, so that goes down easily. Hugs to you all. Gracie.
  • Flakey_Flake
    Flakey_Flake Member Posts: 130
    Calcium & D with Femera
    My onc told me to take 1500 mg calcium and 1000 vitamin D. The only vitamin D I could find was D3, so figured it had to be right. Do you have another kind? Of course, you can't find pills with those dosages, so I just come as close as I can. I also have osteopeena, which might make a difference in the recommended dosages. My FP has me on a multi B with 1 mg folic acid which she said might help with my memory problems. I guess it's working. I have a problem remembering to take all those pills.
    Sharon