It's the Hair

Kat11
Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have about an inch now. I read that I can dye this. Did anyone do it there self or should I have it done? I am use to dying my hair, I did it myself all the time before I lost it. How about the out growth, does it show really bad with hair this short? Do you have to dye it more often? Thanks for any info on this.

Comments

• karen0423
    karen0423 Member Posts: 67
    Hi- I was dx 8 years
    Hi- I was dx 8 years ago...but when my hair came back in it was silver gray, so I spoke to my onologist first before having my hair dyed. I did have a weird skin reaction to it, so I would check with your dr. first before doing it. Good luck.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    karen0423 said:

Hi- I was dx 8 years
    Hi- I was dx 8 years ago...but when my hair came back in it was silver gray, so I spoke to my onologist first before having my hair dyed. I did have a weird skin reaction to it, so I would check with your dr. first before doing it. Good luck.

I would check with your hair
    I would check with your hair stylist--mine told me to wait 6 months after treatment. I lucked out so far my hair has come back darker and with less gray then I had before.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hi Kat
    I'm still more scalp than hair and I'm ready to dye it already! Its salt and pepper. I'm too young for that. I hope it gets a growth spurt soon.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    laurissa said:

Hi Kat
    I'm still more scalp than hair and I'm ready to dye it already! Its salt and pepper. I'm too young for that. I hope it gets a growth spurt soon.

Mine's at the 6 month mark ,
    Mine's at the 6 month mark , but it's white and fuzzy and sticks out in all directions...really lovely..lol..I'm going to give it a couple more months and then go for the olor and style....til then the wig stays!
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Hair dye
    I colored mine at the 5 month mark and instead of dark brown it came out dirty blonde, but at least its better than gray. Its growing so slow and I'm tired of the wig !!!

Judy
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Hi, Kathi, my hair was dyed
    Hi, Kathi, my hair was dyed at 1/2 inch. My regular hair stylist did it as I don't trust myself. Even if you normally dye your own hair, my advice would be to have it done this first post-chemo time professionally by someone you know and trust. Just my opinion, of course.

As for growth, I was worried, too, that I'd have to color my hair more. But that has not happpened. My hair is growing faster than most (this per my hair stylist, NOT my opinion!), but still I have not needed coloring more than the usual 6-8 weeks. Trims, however, I do need more often. My hair is growing back in such strange ways that it has to be shaped more often.

Let us know what you decide. Love the photo of you, BTW.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Moopy23 said:

Hi, Kathi, my hair was dyed
    Hi, Kathi, my hair was dyed at 1/2 inch. My regular hair stylist did it as I don't trust myself. Even if you normally dye your own hair, my advice would be to have it done this first post-chemo time professionally by someone you know and trust. Just my opinion, of course.

As for growth, I was worried, too, that I'd have to color my hair more. But that has not happpened. My hair is growing faster than most (this per my hair stylist, NOT my opinion!), but still I have not needed coloring more than the usual 6-8 weeks. Trims, however, I do need more often. My hair is growing back in such strange ways that it has to be shaped more often.

Let us know what you decide. Love the photo of you, BTW.

Thanks for the help and I
    Thanks for the help and I will take the advice and let my hair stylist do it. I can not stand this grey and white hair. I new I would be gray but not this bad. I have a wedding to go to in Texas next month and I am worried about wearing my wig and getting really hot. So I thought if I colored my own hair here I might just take the blunge and go bare.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Kat, I had mine colored when
    Kat, I had mine colored when I was 3 months out from chemo. I, too, was very salt and pepper, more salt than pepper. I had my hairdresser do the color and it came out beautifully. I thought it would also be very obvious when the hair was growing out but I haven't noticed it. I have it colored twice now and I'm looking forward to the day I NEED a hair cut. Not yet, though. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

P.S. Coloring my hair was just what I needed to shed the scarves and become "free". Do it, you'll love it!!
  • Sharon_D
    Sharon_D Member Posts: 55
    MyTurnNow said:

Kat, I had mine colored when
    Kat, I had mine colored when I was 3 months out from chemo. I, too, was very salt and pepper, more salt than pepper. I had my hairdresser do the color and it came out beautifully. I thought it would also be very obvious when the hair was growing out but I haven't noticed it. I have it colored twice now and I'm looking forward to the day I NEED a hair cut. Not yet, though. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

P.S. Coloring my hair was just what I needed to shed the scarves and become "free". Do it, you'll love it!!

4 months out
    It's been four months since I finished my chemo and my hair is a bout 1/2 in long. I don't care if it's purple! I'm just thrilled to HAVE hair!

But I'm also 62, so salt and pepper is the spice of my life these days.

Hmm, hadn't thought about purple. Sounds interesting......

My husband would PAY me to stop thinking! ;-)
  • Sharon_D said:

4 months out
    It's been four months since I finished my chemo and my hair is a bout 1/2 in long. I don't care if it's purple! I'm just thrilled to HAVE hair!

But I'm also 62, so salt and pepper is the spice of my life these days.

Hmm, hadn't thought about purple. Sounds interesting......

My husband would PAY me to stop thinking! ;-)

This comment has been removed by the Moderator