HAs anyone ever??!

Tracie1981
Tracie1981 Member Posts: 125
So yesterday I went in to do my second treatment with ABVD, they drew my lab work and everything came back great except my white blood count, which came back as 2.0. So the Dr. decided not to do the chemo and was just going to give me a shot of neulasta. So I wait in my room for an hour before he comes back with another Dr. who tells me they are going to go ahead and do the treatment. He says that they are doing studies on white blood cells and how they go up and down with chemo and other meds. He said that if they give me the neulasta it will only bring them up for the chemo to knock them back down again, therefore yet again doing the same thing and having to post pone my next treatment also. Has anyone ever had this treatment with their white blood count being low? I'm really scared about getting an infection and the bad thing is I feel like I have absolutely no control over this. There is nothing I could eat or drink to bring them higher, unlike the red blood cells. So now its just a big waiting game until next week to find out how bad they really are. Thanks and God Bless all!

Comments

• MNK
    MNK Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone?
    Tracie,

During my ABVD treatments, the only time a treatment was postponed was when my WBC registered 1.6, at anything higher my Doctors gave me the chemo. In fact I was given neulasta the day after one of my treatments when my WBC registered 1.9 and my WBC levels skyrocketed for the next 2 treatments. As my doctor explained there is an counter-intutive relationship between your WBC and the chemo, i.e. during the 1st week after your chemo the WBC generally don't change or go higher and then during the 2nd week your WBC levels begin to drop. Moreover, in addition to your WBC levels, what are your GRAN levels, my Doctor has told me that those two items combined help determine your susceptibility to infections. Finally, don't be overly afraid about infections since our doctors have the ability to prescribe us antibiotics that most people don't get. Levaquin is one. Keep the faith, you too shall make it through this process.
  • Tracie1981
    MNK said:

Has anyone?
    Tracie,

During my ABVD treatments, the only time a treatment was postponed was when my WBC registered 1.6, at anything higher my Doctors gave me the chemo. In fact I was given neulasta the day after one of my treatments when my WBC registered 1.9 and my WBC levels skyrocketed for the next 2 treatments. As my doctor explained there is an counter-intutive relationship between your WBC and the chemo, i.e. during the 1st week after your chemo the WBC generally don't change or go higher and then during the 2nd week your WBC levels begin to drop. Moreover, in addition to your WBC levels, what are your GRAN levels, my Doctor has told me that those two items combined help determine your susceptibility to infections. Finally, don't be overly afraid about infections since our doctors have the ability to prescribe us antibiotics that most people don't get. Levaquin is one. Keep the faith, you too shall make it through this process.

Thank you!
    Thank you so much for your response, its just kind of scary because they made such a fuss about it yesterday. As far as the GRAN levels? Not for sure what those are but I will definitely ask the Dr. at my next appt. They did prescribe me an antibiotic, its called Cipri, they told me not to take it unless i get a fever, but if i get a fever they already told me i would have to be admitted :( But im staying positive that i wont get sick :) Thank you sooo much I feel a lot better knowing that someone else has been through this. God Bless!
  • brigit
    brigit Member Posts: 7

Thank you!
    Thank you so much for your response, its just kind of scary because they made such a fuss about it yesterday. As far as the GRAN levels? Not for sure what those are but I will definitely ask the Dr. at my next appt. They did prescribe me an antibiotic, its called Cipri, they told me not to take it unless i get a fever, but if i get a fever they already told me i would have to be admitted :( But im staying positive that i wont get sick :) Thank you sooo much I feel a lot better knowing that someone else has been through this. God Bless!

have you ever
    My WBC count usually drops with every treatment. One time they were a little less than 2 but I still had my scheduled treatment. I then did 3 days of neupogen. They came up to an acceptable number. The next treatment the same thing happened. My WBC was about 2. Once again they did the treatment. My doctor was on vacation so the PA that I saw wanted to give me a shot of Neulastin but my MD had told me that she didn't want me to have Neulastin due to some recent studies and wanted me to have neupogen shots. We told the PA this and had to fight with her but we won and did 8 days of neupogen shots (I have treatments on Friday so I start the shots on Sunday). Now I have treatments on Fridays and start the neupogen shots on Sunday and finish the next Sunday. I don't have to go in for blood work in between treatments anymore and my WBC count has been between 5 and 6. I've only had 2 sinus infections or head colds during treatments but never had a fever. I also have a 2 year old in daycare and he's been sick the same time that I have been so I'm sure he brought it home from school. I'm also working 4 days a week. I've been lucky that the neupogen works well and I can continue on with life for the most part.
  • Tracie1981
    brigit said:

have you ever
    My WBC count usually drops with every treatment. One time they were a little less than 2 but I still had my scheduled treatment. I then did 3 days of neupogen. They came up to an acceptable number. The next treatment the same thing happened. My WBC was about 2. Once again they did the treatment. My doctor was on vacation so the PA that I saw wanted to give me a shot of Neulastin but my MD had told me that she didn't want me to have Neulastin due to some recent studies and wanted me to have neupogen shots. We told the PA this and had to fight with her but we won and did 8 days of neupogen shots (I have treatments on Friday so I start the shots on Sunday). Now I have treatments on Fridays and start the neupogen shots on Sunday and finish the next Sunday. I don't have to go in for blood work in between treatments anymore and my WBC count has been between 5 and 6. I've only had 2 sinus infections or head colds during treatments but never had a fever. I also have a 2 year old in daycare and he's been sick the same time that I have been so I'm sure he brought it home from school. I'm also working 4 days a week. I've been lucky that the neupogen works well and I can continue on with life for the most part.

Hmmm
    Well the thing about the treatment that I took, they didnt even offer any shots or anything to raise my WBC. I have no idea why they wouldnt have, you would think that they would. I'm definitely going to have to get a hold of my DR because i have tons of questions now. Thank you and God Bless!
  • winthefight
    winthefight Member Posts: 162

Hmmm
    Well the thing about the treatment that I took, they didnt even offer any shots or anything to raise my WBC. I have no idea why they wouldnt have, you would think that they would. I'm definitely going to have to get a hold of my DR because i have tons of questions now. Thank you and God Bless!

Low WBC
    Hi Tracie,

After my treatments, my wbc would drop too. I was also given the neulasta shot to bring my counts up. These shots were given to me after every treatment. So I am glad you will present questions to him about it. If he says there are studies showing not to give these shots to the patients because they are just going to fall the next time. Ask him for a copy of these studies. You should be getting shots for purposes of recovery.

There is a great book called, "100 questions and answers about lymphoma". You may want to get a copy of this book. Your Oncologist should have a free copy. This too may help you understand more about the disease, treatments, side effects, and medicines/prescriptions/ chemo drugs.

Take care and God bless you as you win this fight.
  • Low WBC
    Hi Tracie,

After my treatments, my wbc would drop too. I was also given the neulasta shot to bring my counts up. These shots were given to me after every treatment. So I am glad you will present questions to him about it. If he says there are studies showing not to give these shots to the patients because they are just going to fall the next time. Ask him for a copy of these studies. You should be getting shots for purposes of recovery.

There is a great book called, "100 questions and answers about lymphoma". You may want to get a copy of this book. Your Oncologist should have a free copy. This too may help you understand more about the disease, treatments, side effects, and medicines/prescriptions/ chemo drugs.

Take care and God bless you as you win this fight.

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Tracie1981
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thank you so much!
    Yea I need to talk to my dr. for sure, I'm hoping we wont have to post pone treatments, I want this cancer gone asap. As for my husband, hes a quiet guy so I dont know much about what he thinks about all this. I miss my energy though, the treatments are rough on ya. I'm just glad I have this site, it has really helped talking and communicating to you all. It puts my mind at ease to know that there are people who have been through it. Thank you so much, I'm trying to keep my spirits up, somedays are much harder than others but I'm thankful for everyday God Blesses me with. Lord knows, sometimes I feel like I dont deserve them but I'm keeping the faith! God Bless you!