Can you get implants

sweetvickid
sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Can you get implants put in at the time of your mastectomy?

Comments

• e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    no, not with expander
    no, not with expander reconstruction...
    but I am not sure if you are doing a tram or lat reconstruction and don't have enough fat and tissue to do the reconstruction, I know they will use an implant, but not sure how that is handled??
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    e_hope said:

no, not with expander
    no, not with expander reconstruction...
    but I am not sure if you are doing a tram or lat reconstruction and don't have enough fat and tissue to do the reconstruction, I know they will use an implant, but not sure how that is handled??

Nope I was just thinking
    Nope I was just thinking yank the breast out and throw an implant in.
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member

Nope I was just thinking
    Nope I was just thinking yank the breast out and throw an implant in.

Great question...
    I actually asked my plastic surgeon why he couldn't do this for me instead of putting the expanders in and going through the fills. He said that there wouldn't be any tissue between the implant and the skin to protect the implant. He also said that it wouldn't look right...

Dot
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    I talked to a doctor who does
    I talked with a doctor from Mayo who does put implants directly in and covers them with AlloDerm if there's not enough skin to close the incision. She also does expanders in some cases, it just depends on the patient. My plastic surgeon did not offer this choice, and I'm nowhere near Mayo clinic, so I went with the immediate placement of expanders.
  • TulsaMomof3
    TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105

I talked to a doctor who does
    I talked with a doctor from Mayo who does put implants directly in and covers them with AlloDerm if there's not enough skin to close the incision. She also does expanders in some cases, it just depends on the patient. My plastic surgeon did not offer this choice, and I'm nowhere near Mayo clinic, so I went with the immediate placement of expanders.

Can you get the TRAM and
    Can you get the TRAM and implants? I want the impant for the permant perkyness - and the Tram for the mini tummy tuck and possible they will feel more real? What do you think? I meet with 2 plastic suregns next week
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member

Can you get the TRAM and
    Can you get the TRAM and implants? I want the impant for the permant perkyness - and the Tram for the mini tummy tuck and possible they will feel more real? What do you think? I meet with 2 plastic suregns next week

Either/or?
    I got the idea that it's either/or with the TRAM and implants. My plastic surgeon said I didn't have enough fat for the TRAM (boy was I surprised at that) so I chose silicone implants, which I'll have after my expanders, chemo, etc. I'm not sure why you would get both TRAM and implants. Maybe someone will post.