Sleeping with expanders

pinkkari09
pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Pinks, I'm looking for some good advice on sleeping with these painful expanders. It seems when I'm asleep I roll to my side because I love sleeping on my side. I wake up in excruciating pain and feel as though my expander is somewhat "twisted" it takes awhile for it to get back to normal and feel ok. I'm so tired sleeping in a recliner, I have six weeks left of radiation and then another seven after that before my PS is going to do anything with 'em. Do we really have to stay on our backs this whole time to avoid the pain. Oh boy if I could do it all over again I wouldn't have these things in, they are a pain in the butt. Any suggestions? Did anyone else sleep on their side and it was ok?
Mountains of Love,
~Kari

Comments

• Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Hi Kari
    I have the same problem... sleeping on my side has been difficult if not impossible, but I have found that if I place bed pillows under each side of me for support its doeable. Of course I am not completely on my side either but enough so that I am at least not on my back all night.. I just wish this process wasn't so long; I want to be done and back to normal....

Dot
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    a month
    It was probably a month before I was able to sleep on my side. And anytime I moved I woke up. When I rolled to my side I had to sort of hold the side of the expander so it would lay flat and find the most comfortable spot to lay. I also put a fat pillow in front of me to rest my upper arm on and one between my knees to help me stay still. I just got my implants and they don't want me sleeping on my side for several weeks. So, I am back to the foam wedge. I can't roll on my side while on it or it feels like I'm rolling off of a cliff. I know if I sleep flat I will roll over. Good luck, I hope you can find a way to get comfortable on your side!

Hugs, El
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    yep
    pillows.... pillows...pillows... I found pillow are the most helpful thing to get you comfortable while you have the expanders in.. My hubby would laugh because I would be surrounded like a caccoon and take all the pillows from the bed and leave him if he was lucky with one.. I too am a side sleeper and was a belly sleeper...

Yes, expanders suck! but you will be happy with the end result once your silicone implants are placed you get instant relief

good luck
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    double post
    sorry to impatient and doubled clicked
  • youngnana
    youngnana Member Posts: 41
    side sleeper
    Hi,
    I have only had my expanders a week, with just a small amount of fluid in them. I am able to sleep on my side without too much discomfort, but I am wondering if as the fluid amounts increase will it become more difficult to sleep? So, has this always been difficult, or has it become increasingly so as the fluid is increased?
    thanks much,
    Karen
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    youngnana said:

side sleeper
    Hi,
    I have only had my expanders a week, with just a small amount of fluid in them. I am able to sleep on my side without too much discomfort, but I am wondering if as the fluid amounts increase will it become more difficult to sleep? So, has this always been difficult, or has it become increasingly so as the fluid is increased?
    thanks much,
    Karen

You''re lucky
    I haven't been able to sleep on my sides at all after mastectomies and expanders. My node removal sites have been part of the problem. Now that my expanders are filled, however, they are full "under" my arms and are extra difficult for side sleeping. The big recliner is comfy and I can turn toward the sides somewhat. I hope you continue to be the lucky side sleeper!
  • Cairmaid
    Cairmaid Member Posts: 64
    Thumbs up to the pillows
    I didn't have expanders but I still had a fluid-filled balloon in my left breast for my radiation, making it about twice its normal size. And the sloshing was painful! I was really upset when my rad treatment was delayed a week, I was so tired of sleeping on my back, even with pillows.

I sleep at an incline normally because of sinus problems but usually on my side, so I had the pillows figured out: a body pillow horizontally across the head of the bed; a regular sleeping pillow horizontally in front of that; another sleeping pillow vertically in front of -that-; one small travel pillow behind the top of the vertical pillow; and another travel pillow in front of the bottom of the vertical pillow (acting as a lumbar cushion). I, too, found it easier to stay on my back if I had something under my knees (I balled up a comforter). I couldn't handle the weight of a warm blanket across my chest, so I wore the ever-so-soft prayer shawl my church gave me, around my shoulders. It took me so long to get settled every night, I didn't WANT to move :-)
  • youngnana said:

side sleeper
    Hi,
    thanks much,
    Karen

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    youngnana said:

side sleeper
    Hi,
    thanks much,
    Karen

Hoping you are sleeping
    Hoping you are sleeping better by now Kari. And, hoping that you are healing and feeling a lot better too.