Any suggestions for hair coloring, shampoos and body washes without phthalates or parabens

KayNYC
KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a lumpectomy with removal of four nodes on Wednesday.My sentinal node was clear on frozen section.
I just finished reading "Anti cancer, A New way of LIfe" by Servan-Schreiber, MD,Phd. I have a follow-up appt with my surgeon next week when I will also get the final pathology report. She said she would be referring me to a Radiology oncologist and Medical oncologist at that time. Does anyone have any suggestions for phthalate and paraben free shampoo, hair color and body washes? Deoderents or antiperspirants without aluminum? I am sixty but not ready to let my hair grow-out and back to its "natural state."
What has worked for others who are going through similar treatment issues in regard to making healthy life style choices and looking and feeling good too?
K

Comments

• svillalobos01
    svillalobos01 Member Posts: 15
    I can't wait to see the
    I can't wait to see the answers you guys are going to post about this. My hair is finally back, it came back curly, it was straight before chemo and now it has a lot of grays, I am afraid of coloring it yet but if there are some products that won't damage it that much i might try also. K, good luck with all your treatments, ask all the questions you need to ask and remember to take someone with you to those first appt. with new doctors, a lot of info during those visits!
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member

I can't wait to see the
    I can't wait to see the answers you guys are going to post about this. My hair is finally back, it came back curly, it was straight before chemo and now it has a lot of grays, I am afraid of coloring it yet but if there are some products that won't damage it that much i might try also. K, good luck with all your treatments, ask all the questions you need to ask and remember to take someone with you to those first appt. with new doctors, a lot of info during those visits!

Hair coloring - Henna

I have always used henna on my hair. It is a natural product that conditions and colours the hair. Whole foods have a good clean brand of henna. You need to be careful as some henna products contain other chemicals but don't always say so (ie the ones from India or China).

I know Trader Joes has shampoo that does not have sodium laurel sulfates and is paraben free. I am sure Whole Foods would have some too.

Also something great for the skin is 'Shea butter' in its natural form. I usually melt it down, add some apricot kernet oil and essential oils (ie lavendar) and then whip it in the blender as it is cooling down. It makes it easier to apply to the skin. I make a large batch which can last me months.
  • KayNYC

Hair coloring - Henna

I have always used henna on my hair. It is a natural product that conditions and colours the hair. Whole foods have a good clean brand of henna. You need to be careful as some henna products contain other chemicals but don't always say so (ie the ones from India or China).

I know Trader Joes has shampoo that does not have sodium laurel sulfates and is paraben free. I am sure Whole Foods would have some too.

Also something great for the skin is 'Shea butter' in its natural form. I usually melt it down, add some apricot kernet oil and essential oils (ie lavendar) and then whip it in the blender as it is cooling down. It makes it easier to apply to the skin. I make a large batch which can last me months.

hair products and skin treatments.
    Thanks mariam,
    I am going to Whole Foods tomorrow. I will discuss the hair dye with my doctor and hairdresser. I used Henna back in the late 60's and early 70's. I will have to ask her about coverage on gray hair. I am using a Shea butter product from Italy on my skin however I cannot vouch for it's purity. I will try to get some answers on their website.
    Thanks for the helpful information.
    K
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    KayNYC said:

Thanks mariam,
    I am going to Whole Foods tomorrow. I will discuss the hair dye with my doctor and hairdresser. I used Henna back in the late 60's and early 70's. I will have to ask her about coverage on gray hair. I am using a Shea butter product from Italy on my skin however I cannot vouch for it's purity. I will try to get some answers on their website.
    K

check out lindi skin cram on
    check out lindi skin cram on line. It is pretty gentle, and has lots of natural products.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    KayNYC said:

Thanks mariam,
    K

check out lindi skin cream
    check out lindi skin cream on line. It is pretty gentle, and has lots of natural products.
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    check out...
    goodguide.com
    I have found info on hair products, makeup, deodorant, etc that do not contain carcinogenic ingredients according to their website. I couldn't believe that I could find good makeup that was considered "safe". Good luck!
  • KayNYC
    JanInMN said:

check out...
    goodguide.com
    I have found info on hair products, makeup, deodorant, etc that do not contain carcinogenic ingredients according to their website. I couldn't believe that I could find good makeup that was considered "safe". Good luck!

Thanks for your input ladies
    I found a large selection of products that do not contain carcinogenic ingredients at Wholefoods. I have also been told that the Body Shop has creams and cosmetics that are considered "safer" than regular cosmetic products. I will take a look at the Good guide for more ideas. Thanks JanInMN.
    K
  • mariam_11_09
    KayNYC said:

Thanks mariam,
    K

Shea butter - website

I order my shea butter - also known as Karite in West Africa from Agbanga Karite. URL is:

http://www.agbangakarite.com/

If you go to the bulk store, you can get 14 oz unrefined shea butter for $12. They have gone up in price a little. However a pound or 14 oz of shea butter used only on the face can easily last several months and more if mixed with other oils.

The best is unrefined and unfortunately it will have a slight smell. The shea butter you find in the store is oderless and hence refined often using methods that strip it of its good qualities with a process that is harmful not only to the shea but the environment as well. Be careful of this.

A good explanation of the shea butter process can be found at this URL:

http://www.alaffia.com/hand-crafted-shea-butter
  • mariam_11_09

Shea butter - website

I order my shea butter - also known as Karite in West Africa from Agbanga Karite. URL is:

http://www.agbangakarite.com/

If you go to the bulk store, you can get 14 oz unrefined shea butter for $12. They have gone up in price a little. However a pound or 14 oz of shea butter used only on the face can easily last several months and more if mixed with other oils.

The best is unrefined and unfortunately it will have a slight smell. The shea butter you find in the store is oderless and hence refined often using methods that strip it of its good qualities with a process that is harmful not only to the shea but the environment as well. Be careful of this.

A good explanation of the shea butter process can be found at this URL:

http://www.alaffia.com/hand-crafted-shea-butter

Alaffia products - paraben free
    Sorry I meant to add that the Alaffia website has skin product and shampoos that are paraben free and sustainably harvested in smaller quantities than Agbanga Karite.

http://www.alaffia.com/shop
  • healthnut
    healthnut Member Posts: 2

Hair coloring - Henna

natural shampoo, etc
    I can't help but put my 2 cents in about some of the products at trader joes and whole foods. I was searching for a chemical free shampoo and many of the products at those stores have great natural sounding names, but sadly are full of chemicals i can't even pronounce. A friend told me about fundamental shampoo that i had to buy online. But when i looked at the ingredients, it was so natural i thought i could eat it. I suggest reading the labels carefully and if you don't understand what's in it...don't buy it.