Doxil

Songflower
Songflower Member Posts: 608
Has anyone taken doxil? How was it? when in therapy did your Doctor decide to use it?

Diane

Comments

• upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    I had my second Doxil
    I had my second Doxil infusion last week. It is being used as first treatment option for my UPSC first recurrence. After three rounds plan is to re-scan to see if any changes, determine response to treatment. Main issue of concern with Doxil is a hand/foot syndrome - developing blister-like eruptions on palms and soles. However except for a few mild episodes of burning sensation after first infusion, no further issues with this. I have had a few mild episodes of nausea but none as to require medicating.

Overall tolerating well, but due to previous treatments, I had a delayed nadir and too low neutrophil count at 4th week which delayed second treatment by a week.

Doxil is a form of adriamycin in a liposome to better target cancer cells. I received adriamycin for breast cancer in '93. There is lifetime total dose recommendation for this drug due to cardiac toxicity so I only have a limited course of therapy available to me.
  • d.lee
    d.lee Member Posts: 31
    doxil
    hi, im on doxil. ive been on doxil almost a year. i was on carbo/plat first and i had a very bad reaction so then i was put on doxil and it was a big difference. i didnt get nauseous at all my hair didnt come out i wasnt sick all the time . sometimes i will get tired easily. it was much better for me. but as the months went on i started to get the hand and foot syndrome and u know it effects the skin i would get sores sometimes. you cant be in direct sunlight and u need to wear sun screen. my skin got discolored and eventually i got mouth sores. they go away in a couple of days . when i was on the carbo my numbers never changed i was on it only two treatments it realyy hit me hard i was down for 7 days. when i started the doxil my numbers really went down alot. so for me doxil was ok. i could even put up with the side effects they were not so bad compared to the other one but i have been on it a year almost so it didnt get bad for a while. i also had watery eyes my hands swell up and ache and my feet hurt sometimes ,and i get constipation. i think thats it.
    i really think doxil was ok for me it didnt have me down and out like the other one. i could do my daily things i always done and i might have a couple of days that i didnt feel so good but not all the time .

best wishes, diane
  • Songflower
    d.lee said:

doxil
    hi, im on doxil. ive been on doxil almost a year. i was on carbo/plat first and i had a very bad reaction so then i was put on doxil and it was a big difference. i didnt get nauseous at all my hair didnt come out i wasnt sick all the time . sometimes i will get tired easily. it was much better for me. but as the months went on i started to get the hand and foot syndrome and u know it effects the skin i would get sores sometimes. you cant be in direct sunlight and u need to wear sun screen. my skin got discolored and eventually i got mouth sores. they go away in a couple of days . when i was on the carbo my numbers never changed i was on it only two treatments it realyy hit me hard i was down for 7 days. when i started the doxil my numbers really went down alot. so for me doxil was ok. i could even put up with the side effects they were not so bad compared to the other one but i have been on it a year almost so it didnt get bad for a while. i also had watery eyes my hands swell up and ache and my feet hurt sometimes ,and i get constipation. i think thats it.
    i really think doxil was ok for me it didnt have me down and out like the other one. i could do my daily things i always done and i might have a couple of days that i didnt feel so good but not all the time .

best wishes, diane

thank you for the info on doxil
    Thank you for your time and consideration in telling me about doxil. If you ever want to tell me anything else just let me know. I feel like I am back where I was a year ago; just starting out for cancer of the uterus, reading and not know which way to turn.

You know the feeling I am certain. I can only take so much reading. I suppose with doxil I can't garden which I love. I'm not a sun worshipper but like to go out and boat or swim. Time to find new hobbies.

Love,
    Diane
  • pjba11
    pjba11 Member Posts: 188

thank you for the info on doxil
    Thank you for your time and consideration in telling me about doxil. If you ever want to tell me anything else just let me know. I feel like I am back where I was a year ago; just starting out for cancer of the uterus, reading and not know which way to turn.

You know the feeling I am certain. I can only take so much reading. I suppose with doxil I can't garden which I love. I'm not a sun worshipper but like to go out and boat or swim. Time to find new hobbies.

Love,
    Diane

prayers
    I have not posted to help you with your recurrence questions, I am no help there. But I want you to know you are one of my favorite people on this board and you are in my prayers.
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    pjba11 said:

prayers
    I have not posted to help you with your recurrence questions, I am no help there. But I want you to know you are one of my favorite people on this board and you are in my prayers.

Diane, do you know for sure that it will be Doxil?
    I did so well on the weekly taxol. Is there any chance you could take that instead of the Doxil? I had no side effects from it at all, except for baldness and fatigue. No nausea or neuropathy or bone pain or any of that other stuff. & in 10 weeks I was NED again. Of course you have to listen to your oncologist's recommendations, but it might be worth mentioning.

I know how you feel about gardening. I was out for 3 hours today cutting back the old black-eyed susans and mums and sedums at my DIL's house, in areas where the snow wasn't still in drifts, taking advantage of the 50-degree day today. I will try and make Doxil my WINTER chemo if this comes back!

I think my oncologist will do carbo/taxol with me again (in the 3 week intervals like before) as my next line of chemo if my cancer comes back for the 3rd time; with Doxil as my 4th line. But I soooo hope I won't need to keep traveling in and out of treatment forever. It's likely that's how it will be, but you never know. This remission may just last forever!
  • Songflower

Diane, do you know for sure that it will be Doxil?
    I did so well on the weekly taxol. Is there any chance you could take that instead of the Doxil? I had no side effects from it at all, except for baldness and fatigue. No nausea or neuropathy or bone pain or any of that other stuff. & in 10 weeks I was NED again. Of course you have to listen to your oncologist's recommendations, but it might be worth mentioning.

I know how you feel about gardening. I was out for 3 hours today cutting back the old black-eyed susans and mums and sedums at my DIL's house, in areas where the snow wasn't still in drifts, taking advantage of the 50-degree day today. I will try and make Doxil my WINTER chemo if this comes back!

I think my oncologist will do carbo/taxol with me again (in the 3 week intervals like before) as my next line of chemo if my cancer comes back for the 3rd time; with Doxil as my 4th line. But I soooo hope I won't need to keep traveling in and out of treatment forever. It's likely that's how it will be, but you never know. This remission may just last forever!

I don't know for sure if it will be doxil. I have some problems with taxol; neuropathy which has been improving and some reactions to taxol. My problem is it is now peritoneal carcinacintosis which is hard to treat. One Doc wants to do the surgery for this which I guess is really rough. They strip the peritoneum and instill chemo. My other gyn onc just wants to manage off and on chemo. Again, I am like you not wanting to takeit forever. But I think that will be the likely scenario. I can do bald but hair is so nice once you get it back. The chemo is just rough on me. I have an appt at MD Andersen I cannot decide if going will make any difference in treatment but perhaps make me feel like I have explored all options.

Thank you for thinking of me. I agree, from what I read Doxil is a good winter drug. I love to be outdoors in the summer and was so much looking forward to spring this year. But that choice may not be mine to make.

Thank you for thinking of me,
    Diane
  • lindaprocopio

I don't know for sure if it will be doxil. I have some problems with taxol; neuropathy which has been improving and some reactions to taxol. My problem is it is now peritoneal carcinacintosis which is hard to treat. One Doc wants to do the surgery for this which I guess is really rough. They strip the peritoneum and instill chemo. My other gyn onc just wants to manage off and on chemo. Again, I am like you not wanting to takeit forever. But I think that will be the likely scenario. I can do bald but hair is so nice once you get it back. The chemo is just rough on me. I have an appt at MD Andersen I cannot decide if going will make any difference in treatment but perhaps make me feel like I have explored all options.

Thank you for thinking of me. I agree, from what I read Doxil is a good winter drug. I love to be outdoors in the summer and was so much looking forward to spring this year. But that choice may not be mine to make.

Thank you for thinking of me,
    Diane

I remember reading about that peritoneal surgery long ago.
    I wish I could find the article again, but I do remember reading about that surgury, and that it was a very positive article. From what I read, and my recollection of it, endometrial cancer that seeds and spreads in the peritoneum spreads kind of flat, not penetrating many cell layers, but instead growing sideways. So when they peel away the top layer (like peeling the skin off a grape) the cancer is taken away with it. Mt recollection was that this surgery was often CURATIVE, and that the IP chemo is adjuvant therapy to make sure. I will try to find that article again but I read it over a year ago and may not be able to re-trace my steps. I guess I remembered it because it offered such hope and I read it at a time when I was looking for hope, awaiting my pathology results.

I think of you often, Diane. Please don't think you won't be out in the garden this spring and summer! There was never a time I didn't get out in my garden, no matter how bad I felt. I may not have done a lot of HEAVY gardening work, but I always could go out with my snippers and deadhead the spent blooms and handpick the Japanese beetles from my roses. I still enjoyed my garden and I know that you will too. As for the taxol causing nueropathy, I had some nueropathy with carbo/taxol, but none with the taxol alone, so I am now blaming carboplatin for the nueropathy initially, since it went away once I got off of that. And yet I am prepared to take cabo/taxol again if my cancer returns for the 3rd time.
  • maggie_w
    maggie_w Member Posts: 18

I remember reading about that peritoneal surgery long ago.
    I wish I could find the article again, but I do remember reading about that surgury, and that it was a very positive article. From what I read, and my recollection of it, endometrial cancer that seeds and spreads in the peritoneum spreads kind of flat, not penetrating many cell layers, but instead growing sideways. So when they peel away the top layer (like peeling the skin off a grape) the cancer is taken away with it. Mt recollection was that this surgery was often CURATIVE, and that the IP chemo is adjuvant therapy to make sure. I will try to find that article again but I read it over a year ago and may not be able to re-trace my steps. I guess I remembered it because it offered such hope and I read it at a time when I was looking for hope, awaiting my pathology results.

I think of you often, Diane. Please don't think you won't be out in the garden this spring and summer! There was never a time I didn't get out in my garden, no matter how bad I felt. I may not have done a lot of HEAVY gardening work, but I always could go out with my snippers and deadhead the spent blooms and handpick the Japanese beetles from my roses. I still enjoyed my garden and I know that you will too. As for the taxol causing nueropathy, I had some nueropathy with carbo/taxol, but none with the taxol alone, so I am now blaming carboplatin for the nueropathy initially, since it went away once I got off of that. And yet I am prepared to take cabo/taxol again if my cancer returns for the 3rd time.

peritoneal surgery article

it would be great if you did find that article, linda, but if not, it's still good to hear that it was so positive. i've been posting on and off for several months now, have been ned since november, and feeling good. no doctor appointments for another 3 months, but am always on the lookout for positive information.

i am surprised to learn that your cancer has returned twice, linda. i thought you only had the initial diagnosis, then one recurrence. i hope i'm right. i'm so glad to hear you're ned now, and there's no reason not to hope and believe you are now in a long, long remission. it does happen. i've steered away from statistics, but well meaning friends have blurted from time to time, but statistics never apply to individuals, and we're all individual, so, again, no reason not to hope any of us canl be in the percentage of those who outlive the disease.

warmly,
    maggie
  • lindaprocopio
    maggie_w said:

peritoneal surgery article

it would be great if you did find that article, linda, but if not, it's still good to hear that it was so positive. i've been posting on and off for several months now, have been ned since november, and feeling good. no doctor appointments for another 3 months, but am always on the lookout for positive information.

i am surprised to learn that your cancer has returned twice, linda. i thought you only had the initial diagnosis, then one recurrence. i hope i'm right. i'm so glad to hear you're ned now, and there's no reason not to hope and believe you are now in a long, long remission. it does happen. i've steered away from statistics, but well meaning friends have blurted from time to time, but statistics never apply to individuals, and we're all individual, so, again, no reason not to hope any of us canl be in the percentage of those who outlive the disease.

warmly,
    maggie

A note to Maggie; & 1 to Diane
    MAGGIE: Sorry to be confusing. When I talked about "if the cancer comes back a 3rd time", I was counting my initial diagnosis. I have had only 1 recurrence. (only!!)

DIANE: Do you have ascities? I thought that was usually the tip-off that there might be mets to the peritoneum. That's why I worry about the little bit of fluid that I get inside my pelvic mound that they have been attributing to lymphodema/radiation damage. But I keep thinking mets, and always bring it up in every discussion with any of my oncology team. Do you have fluid gathering in the peritoneal area? If it's excessive, that can be drained and you will be much more comfortable. (((hugs))))
  • fuzzytrouble
    fuzzytrouble Member Posts: 212
    Doxil after 4 treatment
    Hello I thought I would just come in here and tell you that I have hand and foot symptoms. I had my 4th treatment on the 24th of Feb. 2010, so it's about 3 weeks after and now I have blisters on the side of one of my feet and boy do they itch like crazy. I did the ice packs, the lotions, and anything I could think of. I am now using Benadryl gel and that is working as I type this. This is the first time I had the blisters on my foot. I did have the redness and peeling but that's not hurting me,my hands are red and very dry even following instructions on how to deal with it all. I did get blisters on my groin area and that's not fun, so I hope this helps any of you that are on Doxil. The doc already lowered my dosage once so we will see when I see him next time. I also get itchy bumps on my head and my hair did get thinner. I can otherwise function pretty well on Doxil, I am not as tired as I use to be. I was told I would be on this from now until it stops working or it gets to toxic for me.
    Hugs to you all,
    Sharon
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member

Doxil after 4 treatment
    Hello I thought I would just come in here and tell you that I have hand and foot symptoms. I had my 4th treatment on the 24th of Feb. 2010, so it's about 3 weeks after and now I have blisters on the side of one of my feet and boy do they itch like crazy. I did the ice packs, the lotions, and anything I could think of. I am now using Benadryl gel and that is working as I type this. This is the first time I had the blisters on my foot. I did have the redness and peeling but that's not hurting me,my hands are red and very dry even following instructions on how to deal with it all. I did get blisters on my groin area and that's not fun, so I hope this helps any of you that are on Doxil. The doc already lowered my dosage once so we will see when I see him next time. I also get itchy bumps on my head and my hair did get thinner. I can otherwise function pretty well on Doxil, I am not as tired as I use to be. I was told I would be on this from now until it stops working or it gets to toxic for me.
    Hugs to you all,
    Sharon

Sharon glad to hear from you
    Sorry you are still having the hand and foot symptoms from the Doxil. I read somewhere that Hydrocortisone cream helps with the itching, too, if the Benadryl does not work for you.

How often are you getting your treatments? Are they every three weeks? Glad you are not as tired as you were. Hope you are going to have the extra energy when your granddaughter comes to visit. I hope the Doxil works for you for a very long time. In peace and caring.
  • fuzzytrouble
    fuzzytrouble Member Posts: 212
    Ro10 said:

Sharon glad to hear from you
    Sorry you are still having the hand and foot symptoms from the Doxil. I read somewhere that Hydrocortisone cream helps with the itching, too, if the Benadryl does not work for you.

How often are you getting your treatments? Are they every three weeks? Glad you are not as tired as you were. Hope you are going to have the extra energy when your granddaughter comes to visit. I hope the Doxil works for you for a very long time. In peace and caring.

doxil
    Hi Ro, I am on a every 4 week treatment plan, and it seems like around the third week in, is when it peaks and bothers me more. Today the pain and itchy stuff is gone and now it will probably peel. The Benadryl gel helped a lot so I am keeping it close by. We will go see our granddaughter in July, so I can't wait.
    How are you doing? Well I hope you are doing great today.
    Hugs from Oregon
  • janmac35
    janmac35 Member Posts: 6
    Doxil
    I have been a reader more than a writer, but doxil has been reccommended as a last-chance drug. I have been through cisplatin/gemstar and carboplatin/taxol, both kinds of radiation and had two remissions. I was misdiagnosed 4 and a half years ago with cervical cancer (later changed to USPC) so I guess I am lucky to still be around. Although I had metastisis to lungs they look clear now. A tumor in my tummy is my main problem with lesions on my liver, plus am on lovenox because of two bouts of clots (DVT and Pulmonary Embolism.) I can go on hospice if I want to or try the doxile. I have read nothing positive about doxile. Could I hope that it will reduce the size of my tumor? I am currently very uncomfortable with stomach pain, in spite of being on hydrocodone. I am more interested in increasing comfort and life quality than living longer. Funny, I am finally no longer on chemo and could travel and enjoy life, but I feel better being a couch potato. I am thinking it is time to give up the fight and enjoy what little time I have left. That is, when I feel like it. (Going out, even shopping has become a chore rather than fun) Anyway, now I have unloaded, I would certainly appreciate info on whether doxile would be worth a try.
  • Songflower
    janmac35 said:

Doxil
    I have been a reader more than a writer, but doxil has been reccommended as a last-chance drug. I have been through cisplatin/gemstar and carboplatin/taxol, both kinds of radiation and had two remissions. I was misdiagnosed 4 and a half years ago with cervical cancer (later changed to USPC) so I guess I am lucky to still be around. Although I had metastisis to lungs they look clear now. A tumor in my tummy is my main problem with lesions on my liver, plus am on lovenox because of two bouts of clots (DVT and Pulmonary Embolism.) I can go on hospice if I want to or try the doxile. I have read nothing positive about doxile. Could I hope that it will reduce the size of my tumor? I am currently very uncomfortable with stomach pain, in spite of being on hydrocodone. I am more interested in increasing comfort and life quality than living longer. Funny, I am finally no longer on chemo and could travel and enjoy life, but I feel better being a couch potato. I am thinking it is time to give up the fight and enjoy what little time I have left. That is, when I feel like it. (Going out, even shopping has become a chore rather than fun) Anyway, now I have unloaded, I would certainly appreciate info on whether doxile would be worth a try.

Doxil
    Doxil has worked for me. I had cancer pressing on a nerve and alot of pain. after the second doxil the pain went away (because the chemo killed the cancer). Ive thought to myself that I would take a couple of doxil's If I got to the end and pain was a problem. You deserve to have your pain controlled so you can enjoy life. One pain management specialist told me, "If you are not enjoying life than your pain is not controlled." Chemo is sometimes used to control pain by shrinking the tumors. I know we all react differently. Doxil has liposomes which allow it to go directly to the tumor. prozac helps to chemo sensitize the cells. adding avastin may give you some relief too. This cuts the blood supply to the tumor. You can take chemo and get paliative care. I had to face controlling my pain because I had reactions to taxol (pain). I didn't like the idea of taking narcotics but it made my life more normal and I was happier when I was with my family.

I know none of us live forever. There is no reason to suffer the way you are!
    Sending prayers your way!
    Diane
  • janmac35
    janmac35 Member Posts: 6

Doxil
    Doxil has worked for me. I had cancer pressing on a nerve and alot of pain. after the second doxil the pain went away (because the chemo killed the cancer). Ive thought to myself that I would take a couple of doxil's If I got to the end and pain was a problem. You deserve to have your pain controlled so you can enjoy life. One pain management specialist told me, "If you are not enjoying life than your pain is not controlled." Chemo is sometimes used to control pain by shrinking the tumors. I know we all react differently. Doxil has liposomes which allow it to go directly to the tumor. prozac helps to chemo sensitize the cells. adding avastin may give you some relief too. This cuts the blood supply to the tumor. You can take chemo and get paliative care. I had to face controlling my pain because I had reactions to taxol (pain). I didn't like the idea of taking narcotics but it made my life more normal and I was happier when I was with my family.

I know none of us live forever. There is no reason to suffer the way you are!
    Sending prayers your way!
    Diane

Doxil
    Thanks for your prayers. I am on morphine now and doing better. It is amazing how tiring pain can be! I wonder if others have had troubles with their waistlines and bralines really expanding. I guess that is tumor's expansion. I have heard avastin can help shrink tumors but my present doctor doesn't reccommend it. I am glad to hear the doxil has helped you. The effective drugs are so limited especially if you are allergic to the main ones. Thanks for the info. I will look into doxilea little more.
    Blessings,
    Jan
  • armaiti
    armaiti Member Posts: 5
    janmac35 said:

Doxil
    Thanks for your prayers. I am on morphine now and doing better. It is amazing how tiring pain can be! I wonder if others have had troubles with their waistlines and bralines really expanding. I guess that is tumor's expansion. I have heard avastin can help shrink tumors but my present doctor doesn't reccommend it. I am glad to hear the doxil has helped you. The effective drugs are so limited especially if you are allergic to the main ones. Thanks for the info. I will look into doxilea little more.
    Blessings,
    Jan

Doxil and ascities
    I realized this was on uterine cancer after I first posted, but I do have some doxil info so I thought I'd post anyway even though my cancer is ovarian, hope that's ok.

I had my second treatment of Doxil two weeks ago. I have ovarian cancer that re-occurred this year - last year I had the a 5 pound tumor, and stage 3C ovarian cancer, with the full hysterectomy, etc. operation, and carboplatin and taxol afterwards, but two small growths were found in my abdomen this May, so my oncologist recommended Doxil. I have to say that I also do a LOT of alternative treatment supplements, homeopathics, reiki, etc - the ascities I had was really bad in the beginning, but once I started acupuncture treatment, it now is completely under control and I haven't had to have my stomach drained again of fluid. I too get the sores on the hands and feet, but it's more like a mild athlete's foot for me, not too bad so far. And mouth sores that last one or two days. I do find myself really tired alot but I don't know if that's the doxil, the painkillers, or the cancer or a mix! I do know my tumor marker dropped by 1/2 after my first Doxil treatement. My oncologist has me set up for just six rounds, since we caught the cancer so early. I'm hopeful with all my alternative treatments combined with the Doxil that I can get this back under control

Good luck to all of you! It's nice to find a site to come to to find out more and also find other people going through the same thing.

Blessings,

Anna Armaiti