Question for my mother

Shana714
Shana714 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello, I'm so thankful for finding this site! My mother was diagnosed five years ago with breast cancer stage III she had a mastectomy with chemo and radiation. She went through so much especially during the radiation. During the past few years she was put on Famara and was ok other then complaining of bone pain which we were told was the Famara. About six months ago she was experiencing pain on her right side. She see's her oncologist on a regular basis and this past visit he said he was concerned about her blood test and wants to order a Pet Scan. Well, we got the bad news last week that the Pet Scan shows several lesion's shoulder, spine and hip. My heart sank while sitting there especially when he said that she should get her affairs in order. He said he would start treating (Zometa) and radiation as well. I'm numb and of course shocked of this news and all I can do is pray but what breaks my heart is that while talking to her earlier she said that she heard the doctor tell her that she had two months not two years and I've tried to explain over and over what he said but she insist she did not hear this so now I am here praying, since she has lost hope, that someone here might have had similar diagnose and did well with treatment. She can hardly walk now because of pain. I'm so heartbroken.

Mentally, I'm exhausted so sorry for the typos

Thank you!

Comments

• jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Shana
    I'm so sorry about your mom and her recurrence...it sounds like she has been thru the gamut already...i don't have any experience w/your situation, but feel certain others will chime in very soon. Will be in prayer for your mother...
    Julie
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    jbug said:

Shana
    I'm so sorry about your mom and her recurrence...it sounds like she has been thru the gamut already...i don't have any experience w/your situation, but feel certain others will chime in very soon. Will be in prayer for your mother...
    Julie

Welcome, Shana
    I'm so sorry for what you and your mother are going through, but know that you've come to the best place for support and encouragement.

I haven't dealt with bone mets myself, but there are definitely women here who have, and I know they'll be along soon to share their experiences with you.

It's completely normal and expected for your mom to be discouraged and in shock over this news, and to have bad days when she assumes the worst -- we've all been there, regardless of what our doctors say to us. Let her feel sad when she needs to, but don't let her lose hope.

Traci
  • Shana714
    Shana714 Member Posts: 3
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, Shana
    I'm so sorry for what you and your mother are going through, but know that you've come to the best place for support and encouragement.

I haven't dealt with bone mets myself, but there are definitely women here who have, and I know they'll be along soon to share their experiences with you.

It's completely normal and expected for your mom to be discouraged and in shock over this news, and to have bad days when she assumes the worst -- we've all been there, regardless of what our doctors say to us. Let her feel sad when she needs to, but don't let her lose hope.

Traci

She is in the hospital due to pain medications
    Thank you Traci and thank you Juli. I'm just devastated. The doctor her changed her pain medication and last night I notice she was spaced out and had shallow breathing I contacted one of her doctors and he said it sounds like a reaction to the pain meds but to check up on her constantly so if it should get worst I should call 911. Well, The ER doctor seemed to be shocked by the combination and confirmed her reaction to this medication. They were able to inject something into her IV to reverse the symptoms but unfortunately was admitted.

I ask you all to please pray for my mom so she can get out and start her treatments.

Thank you all!