Metastatic brain cancer

corky11
corky11 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I recently had a brain tumor (probably metastatic) from breast. Has anyone had this happen to them? I had Gamma knife radiation proceedure which has effectively reduced the tumor and no other lesions are found. My surgeon feels that this is being effectively cured. One month later I had a shunt installed because I also had 'Normal Pressure Hydrocephallous'. Altho my Doctors feel I am doing very well, I am extremely anxious, sad and fearful at times. Anyone else feel this way too? Any suggestions on how not to dwell on this?

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Welcome to the site
    First of all you need to trust your doctors and believe that you are doing well. Every cancer survivor has good and bad moments , when the fair comes back, wet days of non-stop crying without reason, and sad nights. It is normal and understandable. My Internal med doctor's mother has had stage IV with mets to the brain and she is a 6 years survivor. She is a real person I know. you the best.
    Wishing you the best.
  • Youcandothis
    Youcandothis Member Posts: 79
    Dear sister in pink
    First please accept my admiration for dealing with this in a straightforward way. I know everyone who reads your post will be sending you prayers and spiritual strength. As to not dwelling, can you keep yourself busy and outward oriented? Join a support group, work out, start a project.. I like to listen to books on tape while I clean or do laundry. There's all kinds: action adventure, biography, political, current events...maybe a way to keep your mind off your worry-loop. Good luck and good health!
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950

Dear sister in pink
    First please accept my admiration for dealing with this in a straightforward way. I know everyone who reads your post will be sending you prayers and spiritual strength. As to not dwelling, can you keep yourself busy and outward oriented? Join a support group, work out, start a project.. I like to listen to books on tape while I clean or do laundry. There's all kinds: action adventure, biography, political, current events...maybe a way to keep your mind off your worry-loop. Good luck and good health!

Hey Corkey
    We do have

Hey Corkey
    We do have sister's on here who have dealt with brain tumors. I'm sure some of them will have some good advice for you. I don't know know how to not dwell on the cancers that we have except to just keep living life as normally as possible...go where you want to go and do what you want to do..see who you enjoy spending time with...
    Hugs
    Dee
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    No
    No, I have not had this but I am sorry to hear your news. Take care of yourself and I wish you well.

P
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    I can't even imagine what
    I can't even imagine what you are going through, but you have my support, positive thoughts and, most definately, prayers.

Sue
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Welcome to the site
    First of all you need to trust your doctors and believe that you are doing well. Every cancer survivor has good and bad moments , when the fair comes back, wet days of non-stop crying without reason, and sad nights. It is normal and understandable. My Internal med doctor's mother has had stage IV with mets to the brain and she is a 6 years survivor. She is a real person I know. you the best.
    Wishing you the best.

I am so sorry Corky!
    I am so sorry Corky! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Leeza
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    sbmly53 said:

I can't even imagine what you are going through, but you have my support, positive thoughts and, most definately, prayers.

Sue

My sister also had mets to the brain
    but they decided to radiate the whole brain, just in case. She was so very tired and confused for about 2 mos. Sounds like the process your onc used is much better. My sister never got it back in her brain, though. They told her that was the easiest to get rid of.
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Mama G said:

My sister also had mets to the brain
    but they decided to radiate the whole brain, just in case. She was so very tired and confused for about 2 mos. Sounds like the process your onc used is much better. My sister never got it back in her brain, though. They told her that was the easiest to get rid of.

So sorry about
    your dx. Sounds like your Dr is positive about your treatment. It's OK to feel anxious, depressed and sad - we are all here for you! Anytime! Try to take it one day (minute) at a time - you are in my prayers,
    much love,
    Jenny
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    aztec45 said:

No
    No, I have not had this but I am sorry to hear your news. Take care of yourself and I wish you well.

P

I am so sorry to read this.
    I am so sorry to read this. Offering you my prayers and support!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    sbmly53 said:

Sue

I haven't been thru this
    I haven't been thru this myself. I am truly sorry that you have to go thru it.

Sending you prayers!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

Hey Corkey
    We do have

Hey Corkey
    We do have sister's on here who have dealt with brain tumors. I'm sure some of them will have some good advice for you. I don't know know how to not dwell on the cancers that we have except to just keep living life as normally as possible...go where you want to go and do what you want to do..see who you enjoy spending time with...
    Hugs
    Dee

Corky, I haven't had this
    Corky, I haven't had this happen, but, I want you to know that we are all here to support and help you however we can. Sending you prayers!

Hugs, Debby
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Welcome Corky11, so sorry to
    Welcome Corky11, so sorry to hear of your mets to the brain. My Mom had lung cancer with mets to the brain and they did whole brain radiation, the bad thing with that, is once they do it, they cannot do it again without causing brain damage, glad your onc just focused on the tumor. I don't have any advice for you beings my cancer has not metastasized to my brain, I'm sure you will be getting some good responses soon. Welcome again and my thoughts are with you while my prayers on on their way up right now.
    Mountains of Love and Big Cyber Hugs,
    ~Kari