Good Information to Know for Newbies or Anyone

pdv
pdv Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just called the 1-800-227-2345 number for the ACS to ask about getting a pamphlet on nutrition while taking chemo and talked to the most wonderful person on the other end. This person gave info that I would have never known about if I hadn't called. The number of services you get from them is tremendous...transportation, financial help with rent or food or ???, moral support, resources, help with insurance or lack of, etc. If you need something while going through this journey, please give them a call. They will help you with whatever you need. They are open 24 hours a day/7 days a week.

Pat

Comments

• Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Pat
    Thank you for posting this. One cannot express enough how helpful the ACS truly is once we receive this horrifying diagnosis. When I first called them, they sent me a wealth of information covering all the bases of treatment. They asked me in what ways they could help make this journey easier for me and told me of the resources available. I get a call once in a while from them checking on me to see how I'm doing, if I need anything, etc... The people answering the calls are very caring, kind, & compassionate also.
    Cat
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Cat64 said:

Pat
    Thank you for posting this. One cannot express enough how helpful the ACS truly is once we receive this horrifying diagnosis. When I first called them, they sent me a wealth of information covering all the bases of treatment. They asked me in what ways they could help make this journey easier for me and told me of the resources available. I get a call once in a while from them checking on me to see how I'm doing, if I need anything, etc... The people answering the calls are very caring, kind, & compassionate also.
    Cat

I can't agree more
    I can't agree more with Pat and Cat, and can't say it any better than Cat has.

When I was first diagnosed, they sent me a huge BOX of outstanding materials, all free of charge -- booklets and pamphlets that are practical and easy to understand. The first time I called, my diagnosis was so new, I was a blubbering idiot on the phone, and the young woman I spoke with couldn't have been more kind and compassionate and helpful.

And I, too, received a call later from a breast cancer survivor at my local ACS chapter, just checking on me.

I'm thankful that I didn't need to take advantage of any of their resources for financial assistance, transportation, etc. -- but I would encourage anyone I knew who had those concerns to call them right away.

And yes, they're staffed 24/7!

Traci
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Cat64 said:

Pat
    Cat

Yes, thanks for posting
    Yes, thanks for posting this! The ACS is great!