First day home after bi-lateral mastectomy

youngnana
youngnana Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi to all. Today is my first day home after surger. Bi-lateral Mastecromy with tissue expanders. I have quite a bit of muscle pain, and am contining with the pain meds prescribed. I definatly slept much better at home. I am a side sleeper, and moving from one side to the other has been quite painful. Today seems some better. I was allowed to take a shower yesterday and advised that I didnt need to re-bandage, but I am just not ready, I didnt look at them yet, and preferred to continue to use the gauze pads inside a sports bra. But the shower felt great. So far, my sentinal node was found negative (big relief), but am still waiting for the pathology report to confirm. I should have those results when I see my doctor on monday 3/23. I was surprised, I was very calm the day of surgery, just so relieved to be having it done. It took me a long time to wake up, 3 hours in recovery, and my husband was right there to tell me the node results....then I cried, what a blessing. The dye for the sintinal node was not what I expected. They dont numb for this procedure. 4 shots of dye around the aereola, 3 of them were ok, and 1 was painful, but it was very short, and then it was done. The drains a bothersome, but will have them removed on Monday. I do find I am only up and about or a short time, then need a nap.
Thanks to everyone for their prayers and support, you have been wonderful. I'll keep checking in, and now maybe I can help others too.
Karen

Comments

• Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Node news is good news!
    It sounds as if you are doing well, Karen. The node news is wonderful. I hear ya about the shower, centinal node injections, drains and all. What a process! No one could truly describe it to someone who hasn't been through it.

Undoubtedly, you will have ups and downs and back again. Please remember that you have every right to cry whenever you need to grieve. You've been through a lot. Keep us posted!
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808

Node news is good news!
    It sounds as if you are doing well, Karen. The node news is wonderful. I hear ya about the shower, centinal node injections, drains and all. What a process! No one could truly describe it to someone who hasn't been through it.

Undoubtedly, you will have ups and downs and back again. Please remember that you have every right to cry whenever you need to grieve. You've been through a lot. Keep us posted!

Hi Karen, You're an amazing
    Hi Karen, You're an amazing woman, had your surgery and even tho some pain, you got on here and let us know how your're doing. So glad its all over with and clear nodes. Now take good care of yourself, rest and relax, get those drains out and heal up quickly and completely. Sending you lots of hugs.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hi Karen
    It takes time to heal. I hope you're feeling better soon.
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    so glad
    I'm so glad you are doing so well! Great news about the nodes, praying the final path report is also good.

You are one strong woman!!! There is no way I could have sat at my computer and composed such a coherent entry on my first day home. Good for you!

Take care, continue healing and let us know how you are doing and the final path report.

Hugs,

El
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    So good to hear your surgery
    So good to hear your surgery went well and you are recovering at home (always the best place!). Know this is still an anxious time...give yourself time to heal, physically and emotionally. Will pray all the rest of the path reports are absolutely clear! Blessings....
    Julie
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169
    Karen, Glad to hear the
    Karen, Glad to hear the nodes are clear! Good luck with the recovery, make sure you get your rest. I only had one side done, can't imagine dealing with a bilateral and all those drains!
    You're doing great!
    Hugs,
    Marcy
  • TulsaMomof3
    TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
    BLM in a few weeks
    Karen,
    I have the same surgery coming up in a couple weeks. Your insight is very valuable! How long was the surgery? How many nights were you in the hospital? Have they told you if you will have Chemo? Any info will help!

Thanks
    B
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Node news is good news!

Good news on your nodes!
    Good news on your nodes! That first shower always feels so great!

Hoping you heal quickly and sending you gentle hugs!
  • youngnana
    youngnana Member Posts: 41

BLM in a few weeks
    Karen,
    I have the same surgery coming up in a couple weeks. Your insight is very valuable! How long was the surgery? How many nights were you in the hospital? Have they told you if you will have Chemo? Any info will help!

Thanks
    B

BLM in a few weeks
    Hello B,

Nice to meet you, so sorry for the reason you are here. I am new to this site, and so very thankful for the wonderful women who have opened their hearts to me. Stay in touch here, there are so many here to help.

I had bi-lateral with reconstruction, expanders. I spent 2 nights in the hospital. I was admitted at 10am, went for the sentinal node dye at 12:00pm, surgery at 2:30pm, 4 hours, then in recovery 3 hours. I had a hard time waking up and breathing correctly, didnt get back to my room until 9:30pm. My node was clear, but am still waiting for the pathology report which I should get at my next visit Tuesday 3/23. I am praying for good news, I am fearful of Chemo. I was surprised to find the surgical site numb, the the muscles very painful. The pain meds helped, but never took it completly away. Sleeping was very difficult. I am a side sleeper, and turning from side to side was almost impossible, I had to ask for help from the nurses. The drains are cumbersome, but you normally only have them for a week, so those will go on tuesday also. I have felt much better since being home. Still have some pain, but not nearly so bad. My second day at home I chose to change the bandages around the drains myself, which forced me to see the incisions. I cried, and I cried again today. It seems like a whole new thing each day I shower and am forced to see them.
    I wish you good luck with your surgery, just take it one day at a time. We are all here for you, and send our prayers.
    Karen
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

so glad
    I'm so glad you are doing so well! Great news about the nodes, praying the final path report is also good.

You are one strong woman!!! There is no way I could have sat at my computer and composed such a coherent entry on my first day home. Good for you!

Take care, continue healing and let us know how you are doing and the final path report.

Hugs,

El

That is great news on your
    That is great news on your nodes! I am praying that the path report will be good news too!
  • youngnana said:

BLM in a few weeks
    Hello B,

Nice to meet you, so sorry for the reason you are here. I am new to this site, and so very thankful for the wonderful women who have opened their hearts to me. Stay in touch here, there are so many here to help.

I had bi-lateral with reconstruction, expanders. I spent 2 nights in the hospital. I was admitted at 10am, went for the sentinal node dye at 12:00pm, surgery at 2:30pm, 4 hours, then in recovery 3 hours. I had a hard time waking up and breathing correctly, didnt get back to my room until 9:30pm. My node was clear, but am still waiting for the pathology report which I should get at my next visit Tuesday 3/23. I am praying for good news, I am fearful of Chemo. I was surprised to find the surgical site numb, the the muscles very painful. The pain meds helped, but never took it completly away. Sleeping was very difficult. I am a side sleeper, and turning from side to side was almost impossible, I had to ask for help from the nurses. The drains are cumbersome, but you normally only have them for a week, so those will go on tuesday also. I have felt much better since being home. Still have some pain, but not nearly so bad. My second day at home I chose to change the bandages around the drains myself, which forced me to see the incisions. I cried, and I cried again today. It seems like a whole new thing each day I shower and am forced to see them.
    I wish you good luck with your surgery, just take it one day at a time. We are all here for you, and send our prayers.
    Karen

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • BLM in a few weeks
    Karen,

Thanks
    B

• TulsaMomof3
    TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
    unknown said:

Thanks so much- That is
    Thanks so much- That is really good information. I am feeling pretty calm about the whole thing, just ready to get it going and find out about the chemo. i want to do all I can to get rid of this :)
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member

Thanks so much- That is
    Thanks so much- That is really good information. I am feeling pretty calm about the whole thing, just ready to get it going and find out about the chemo. i want to do all I can to get rid of this :)

One- night stay
    My surgery was 3-1/2 hours. The hospital stay was one night.

First day of chemo today -- piece of cake ... giant slice of extremely boring cake. I posted more about it at a thread called "calabria and Christine Louise start chemo tomorrow." I plan to continue posting on that thread off and on. You seem apprehensive about chemo in particular, so check out that thread if you find it helpful.
  • Ladydi6365
    Ladydi6365 Member Posts: 26

BLM in a few weeks
    Karen,

Thanks
    B

3 weeks Post op BLM
    Hi B,

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. The surgery for me was 51/2 hours and I was in the hospital for 2 days. Tomorrow I am seeing my oncologist to discusss which Chemo treatments she will be doing. I am Her2+ and am a stage 2 Cancer patien. I was diagnosed just this past Jan so it is still very new to me.
    Good Luck with your surgery you will do well. It just takes time to heal

Diana
  • Ladydi6365
    Ladydi6365 Member Posts: 26
    What a blessing that your nodes are clear
    Karen,

Congrats on making it thru w flying colors. I had a BLM 3 weeks ago and I also had clear nodes. What a miracle the Surgeon was so surprised due to the type of cancer I have and the stage.It will get better believe me I felt that the pain would be there for longer and the drains were uncomfortable.
    I was just diagnosed mid January so it is all still so new and tomorrow I am meeting w my Oncologist to schedule the Chemo.
    Keep up the good work

Diana