fox chase visit

amyb15
amyb15 Member Posts: 109 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone:
My sister (Brenda3.16) had an appt. at Fox Chase in Philadelphia today. The oncologosdt agreed that her chemo is working well and stated that since the cancer is in the liver and lungs, she is most likely not a surgical candidate at this time. It was kind of disappointming, but we realize that it is great that her chemo continues to work with very little side effects. She had been taking xwloda for several month and recently Avastin has been added. We are hoping for great results at the next scan. (Doesn't everyone hate scans?)
Please let us know if any of you with liver and lung mets have had surgery, radiation, etc. we still want to explore all options. This board has been a huge support for us. It truely offers great hope.

Amy

Comments

• geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Amy
    I was so looking forward to you posting that Fox Chase had something more to offer than chemo. It looks like you are getting the same info that we are but I can't help thinking there has to be something out there than just more chemo, chemo, chemo.

Ok board members, any ideas?

Brenda and George are in the same boat with mets to the lungs and liver and we seem to be getting the same answer, chemo, chemo, chemo, epecially since chemo is working for both of them, at this time, and working very well. What happens if the present regimen stops working as well as it is. Different chemo, and more chemo, blah blah blah. I know there is no silver bullet but gosh, wish there was more that we can do than so much chemo.

Tina
  • imagineit2010
    imagineit2010 Member Posts: 152 Member
    geotina said:

Amy
    I was so looking forward to you posting that Fox Chase had something more to offer than chemo. It looks like you are getting the same info that we are but I can't help thinking there has to be something out there than just more chemo, chemo, chemo.

Ok board members, any ideas?

Brenda and George are in the same boat with mets to the lungs and liver and we seem to be getting the same answer, chemo, chemo, chemo, epecially since chemo is working for both of them, at this time, and working very well. What happens if the present regimen stops working as well as it is. Different chemo, and more chemo, blah blah blah. I know there is no silver bullet but gosh, wish there was more that we can do than so much chemo.

Tina

Thermotherapy
    You might try looking into Thermotherapy. Many studies have shown an increased effect of chemo when given with heat therapy. It has been long known that heat kills cancer. Chemo in conjunction with heat improves it's effectiveness. Some studies have shown heat alone can have an impact on tumors. I'm looking into this as an alternative to chemo and radiation. Depending on your physical condition (ask your doctor) you may be able to just use a sauna on your own. As long as your heart and lungs are still strong and as long as it can't hurt you It MIGHT help you.
    Best of luck to you.
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Amy
    Did the DR say not a "likely" candidate for surgery at this time? Did you ask him what that meant? Was he an oncologist or a surgeon? If there were just liver mets would they be operable? If there were just lung mets, would they be operable themselves? I just read on Luvjay's thread that member "Taipei" was diagnosed in 2003 with both liver and lung mets and had surgery so obviously having both simultaneously does not preclude surgery, at least with some surgeons. A friend of mine had liver surgery at Sloan even though he had lung mets at the same time. Let's find out where Taipei had surgery done.

All the best,
    Amy
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Brenda and I
    Hi Amy,

I know we've talked before how your sister Brenda and I seem to be in very similar situations with cancer in the liver and lungs and not being current surgical candidates. My liver current situation actually might be able to have surgery (again) or even cyberknife, but not at the moment. I need the chemo & that's what I again started on, as you know. My lung tumors are too numerous and too small for radiation or surgery right now. I'd hate to think that letting the lung tumors grow larger would help me become a candidate for cyberknife. Anyhow, I'll see what chemo does to them.

I am looking forward to hearing her next scan results. We're in this together & Brenda is so lucky to have you for a sister. :)

God bless,
    Lisa
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    lisa42 said:

Brenda and I
    Hi Amy,

I know we've talked before how your sister Brenda and I seem to be in very similar situations with cancer in the liver and lungs and not being current surgical candidates. My liver current situation actually might be able to have surgery (again) or even cyberknife, but not at the moment. I need the chemo & that's what I again started on, as you know. My lung tumors are too numerous and too small for radiation or surgery right now. I'd hate to think that letting the lung tumors grow larger would help me become a candidate for cyberknife. Anyhow, I'll see what chemo does to them.

I am looking forward to hearing her next scan results. We're in this together & Brenda is so lucky to have you for a sister. :)

God bless,
    Lisa

Hey Amy!
    I'm pretty much the same, I have cc with mets in the liver, that my onc described like "shattered glass", the tumors are shrinking though, I have none in my lungs, but I am still inoperable, and have been on Folfiri chemo since Feb 09, and will most likely be on maintenance chemo for the rest of my life or as my onc said "till other options come up" and when the chemo stops working, there are too many cocktails out there to keep trying then, but so far, the Avastin and Folfiri have kept the cancer at bay since my diagnosis last year. I always have hope though, that one day, something will come up to help my liver!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna