Anyone on TCH and Avastin clinical trial phase III?

dash4
dash4 Member Posts: 303 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am to start TCH treatment 3/29 and need to decide if I want to participate in this trial...it adds avastin to the 3 week cycles for one year. I feel a responsibility to participate to help out future research... I am so grateful for everyone that has participated in clinical trials before me so my treatment is available. But as selfish as it sounds, I am frightened of the potential damage to my body. My husband was on avastin and it made sense for him and was a blessing -but he was stage IV with large tumors. I on the other hand already had my tumor removed and may or may not have some crazy radical cell loose that we are chasing....so, my mind is going round and round-actually causing more anxiety than the chemo about to start...well, just wondering if anyone else has been offered this trial and what they are thinking.

Comments

• aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Avastin
    The choice is yours. No harm; no foul. I am in a clinical trial for Avastin. I have been on it since July 09. I was dx Stage 2B. Avastin is not as harsh on the system as some of the other drugs. I could have been finished with everything except the 5 yr drug in January. But, I wanted to help and do my part. I figured if I had to have cancer, I should do something with it. I even let the Cancer Center study my tumor. It's your decision. What I did was what I felt was right for me. You need to do what is right for you.

P
  • dash4
    dash4 Member Posts: 303 Member
    aztec45 said:

Avastin
    The choice is yours. No harm; no foul. I am in a clinical trial for Avastin. I have been on it since July 09. I was dx Stage 2B. Avastin is not as harsh on the system as some of the other drugs. I could have been finished with everything except the 5 yr drug in January. But, I wanted to help and do my part. I figured if I had to have cancer, I should do something with it. I even let the Cancer Center study my tumor. It's your decision. What I did was what I felt was right for me. You need to do what is right for you.

P

side effects?
    Thanks Aztec--how often are you getting the avastin? Are you getting it with any other drugs? What kind of side effects? I know on the consent forms they need to disclose everything-even if it is a fraction of a possiblity...but they actually say unsure of the interactions and possible death?..sure has me giving it a second thought...
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    dash4 said:

side effects?
    Thanks Aztec--how often are you getting the avastin? Are you getting it with any other drugs? What kind of side effects? I know on the consent forms they need to disclose everything-even if it is a fraction of a possiblity...but they actually say unsure of the interactions and possible death?..sure has me giving it a second thought...

Avastin Side Effects
    I started Avastin along with Taxotere and Cytoxan in July 2009. I finished my Taxotere and Cytoxan in November 2009. Since then, I have continued to get Avastin every 3 weeks. The only side effects I have had are constipation and diarrhea. I have found that if I watch what I eat, then I do not experience these side effects. Since chemo, I cannot eat fried foods, spicy foods, hamburger meat, and greasy foods. Hope this helps.

P