DCIS breast reconstruction.

lefty7
lefty7 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Posted earlier about DCIS "re-ocurring". 2006 diagnosis with lumpectomy and radiation. Didn't work so, here I go again. Going tomorrow for an MRI. I'm claustrophobic, so I hope I don't chicken out. I've never seen an "open MRI" machine but I'll sure be asking if the facility has one. If not, doctor has give me some anti-anxiety meds. Anyone have the "implant" recontructive procedure done? That would be my preference. Is that a faster recovery time than the "tram flap" or the latissimus dorsi? What about wearing a prosthesis? I'll be talking with my doctor and the plastic surgeon within the next two weeks to determine the best procedure.

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Hey Lefty
    I just had my

Hey Lefty
    I just had my expander taken out and the implant put in today on my right breast.It's a very easy process, just get the expander filled to the size you want over a period of weeks, and then replace the expander with the implant . It was a about an hour surgery and
    now I'm home and playing on the computer. The downside is that it's not immediate. I had my surgeries last spring, then chemo, then rads.....so the expander was in a long time for me, and I still have to go back in a month and have the other breast reduced and another implant put in so they will match.I will also get a "nipple" made from the tissue of the real breast at that time.I can't speak as to whether the flap is better, but some others may have some input.
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    dyaneb123 said:

Hey Lefty
    I just had my

Hey Lefty
    I just had my expander taken out and the implant put in today on my right breast.It's a very easy process, just get the expander filled to the size you want over a period of weeks, and then replace the expander with the implant . It was a about an hour surgery and
    now I'm home and playing on the computer. The downside is that it's not immediate. I had my surgeries last spring, then chemo, then rads.....so the expander was in a long time for me, and I still have to go back in a month and have the other breast reduced and another implant put in so they will match.I will also get a "nipple" made from the tissue of the real breast at that time.I can't speak as to whether the flap is better, but some others may have some input.

Kinda similar~
    I too was diagnosed in 06~dcis lumpectomy with rads. then in 08 had a recurrence in same breast. Your surgeon will help you decide which procedure is best for you~body type, size..many things to consider. We attempted to stretch the radiated muscle with an expander alone, but not great success, so had a latissimus flap done ( i can never spell that right). have a saline implant under the lat muscle~looks smooth, balanced...very happy. I chose not to have a nipple tattooed just cause I felt like i personally did not need it. On the MRI, it was fine to go through~I did ask ahead for an anti-anxiety pill which helped me relax, you have to be soooo still during the procedure. They gave me a little eye mask filled with lavender to cover my eyes and take the focus off of the machine. Take it one day at a time, there is lots to process and think about. I wish you well.
    Melanie
  • Beth_in_MO
    Beth_in_MO Member Posts: 2
    dyaneb123 said:

Hey Lefty
    I just had my

Hey Lefty

I had "immediate
    I had "immediate reconstruction" on my right breast after mastectomy due to DCIS. I didn't have to do radiation, so I don't know how that affects the muscle, but I thought it went great. I have a silicone implant in now. You have to keep the expander in while you let the skin "rest" for 3 months after you've reached the size you want. So I had the mastectomy on Feb 6, '09 and I had the permanent implant put in the end of June, '09. Like I said, I didn't have to do radiation or chemo since I had the mastectomy. It was really pretty easy. Don't get me wrong, it hurts when they do the initial surgery, but the next one is simple. I had a nipple tattooed, but didn't reconstruct the nipple because I didn't really have enough breast tissue left. I'm very happy with the results. Good luck! Beth