Cath came out today...12 days since surgery

bdhilton
bdhilton Member Posts: 846 Member
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
9am appointment to get the old ball and chain removed today and my post surgery pathology report....On the way to the doctor’s office his nurse calls me and tells to call the Doc because the entire office building (a building connected to St Joe Hospital) has been without power since the weekend!!! I So I called the doc on his mobile and he says he will come to my house and remove the cath after he complete a surgery he was doing...Well he does come to the house around 12:15 EST today and I was ready for the worse pain while he ripped out my cath....He asked my wife for a pair of scissors and me for a 5 gallon bucket...he cut the balloon tube let the water drain in my 5 gallon bucket and they pulled out the cath....that was it...no real feeling or anything!!!! Well because of the power outage and the doc not going into the office today I did not get my pathology report results :-(... But I have been totally dry since I had this thing removed from me...hope it continues and he told me if I wanted I could mix a little scotch with all of the water I am drinking.... I will see him on Friday for my pathology report, some ED samples and “if I am man enough” the injection stuff!!!!
Best to all

Comments

• bdhilton
    is the ability to control your bladder at first easy or is this
    well just took a 1.2 mile walk (drank 1.5 pint water right before walk)and about half way through I started to have a sort of fullness then a little pain as i headed up the driveway...yea I had to pee....but still no leakage since the cath was pulled out today at 12:15 (5.5 hours so far)...is the ability to control your bladder at first easy or is this unusually? Thanks
  • luckyman2
    luckyman2 Member Posts: 54
    bdhilton said:

well just took a 1.2 mile walk (drank 1.5 pint water right before walk)and about half way through I started to have a sort of fullness then a little pain as i headed up the driveway...yea I had to pee....but still no leakage since the cath was pulled out today at 12:15 (5.5 hours so far)...is the ability to control your bladder at first easy or is this unusually? Thanks

To pee or not to pee...
    To pee or not to pee... that is the question!

Great to find out that you got the cath out! I went through a similar situation. In fact I went out for lunch with my wife to celebrate that turning point less than an hour after my cath was removed. I had no problems with leaking or squirting. However, there were some interesting situations during my sleep time for the next two nights. I dreamed that I was peeing... and sure enough... I was! My wife and I just joked about it, saying, "I needed to wear a life jacket to bed".

The bed-wetting quickly resolved when I limited the amount of liquids I was having before going to bed. (By the way alcohol and caffine are culprits.)

I then had a few accidents (squirting) during the day if my bladder was full while I lifted something heavy or got in or out of the car. Other than that, the incontinence became a non-issue within a few months. I even got a round of golf in there without the need to wear a pad.

It looks like you are well on your way to a quick recovery! But please don't get discouraged if you have a minor set-back, because you're so far ahead of the curve now!
  • randy_in_indy
    randy_in_indy Member Posts: 496 Member
    bdhilton said:

OK Buster! I was expecting to here we had another memeber
    in the ZERO club. DArn now have to wait all the way until Friday! Will you just call them and get the results so we don't all have to wait already....! lol

Ok, peeing at first is very tenative...at least it was for me...came out very weak and very slow....it was not until I lasted all night and had a bit to lose was it the full regular rush of pee that makes you feel like a Man....You know the kind of stream that you can write your name in the snow with...the manly pee. That is my humor for today...now heading for a beverage of choice....IPA from Darkhorse Brewry.

Randy in indy
  • randy_in_indy
    randy_in_indy Member Posts: 496 Member

in the ZERO club. DArn now have to wait all the way until Friday! Will you just call them and get the results so we don't all have to wait already....! lol

Ok, peeing at first is very tenative...at least it was for me...came out very weak and very slow....it was not until I lasted all night and had a bit to lose was it the full regular rush of pee that makes you feel like a Man....You know the kind of stream that you can write your name in the snow with...the manly pee. That is my humor for today...now heading for a beverage of choice....IPA from Darkhorse Brewry.

Randy in indy

Yes I totally agree Alcohol and caffine are definately
    NOT your freinds when it comes to staying dry. And also a very good point about limiting liquids at night prior to going to bed.....about two hours or so before going...do not drink anything. The nurse said that when your laying down the gravity will believe it or not keep you from peeing...well unless you have dreams about it..LOL I think I also had one of those myself..but was wearing a pad so no worries...I only needed to get up once at 2-3am AND CHANGE THE SHEETS...that was first and LAST time I would let that happen as my sleep is a major priority.
  • bdhilton
    luckyman2 said:

To pee or not to pee...
    To pee or not to pee... that is the question!

Great to find out that you got the cath out! I went through a similar situation. In fact I went out for lunch with my wife to celebrate that turning point less than an hour after my cath was removed. I had no problems with leaking or squirting. However, there were some interesting situations during my sleep time for the next two nights. I dreamed that I was peeing... and sure enough... I was! My wife and I just joked about it, saying, "I needed to wear a life jacket to bed".

The bed-wetting quickly resolved when I limited the amount of liquids I was having before going to bed. (By the way alcohol and caffine are culprits.)

I then had a few accidents (squirting) during the day if my bladder was full while I lifted something heavy or got in or out of the car. Other than that, the incontinence became a non-issue within a few months. I even got a round of golf in there without the need to wear a pad.

It looks like you are well on your way to a quick recovery! But please don't get discouraged if you have a minor set-back, because you're so far ahead of the curve now!

luckyman2
    I just might have to change my name to luckyman3 :-)...thanks for the words!
  • bdhilton

Randy in indy

club zero and other things
    God willing I get to be a member of club zero...if not, then it is plan B and yes I have been able to call Northwestern since last Wednesday to find out my results but I want my urologist to give me the update....He is a great guy...how many urologist make house calls and treat you like a barn yard animal LOL and thanks as always for your support...

Best to all
  • chorton581
    chorton581 Member Posts: 15
    bdhilton said:

cath
    bdhilton that sounds like great news. I had my cath out 12 days ago and have zero issues. I contribute it to an excellent surgery. I think this is a very positive sign for you. Just watch farting. :) Keep up the walking and drinking.

carl (davinci 2/24/2010)
    initial psa 5.5 gleason 3+3
    mayo clinic phoenix
  • bdhilton

cath
    bdhilton that sounds like great news. I had my cath out 12 days ago and have zero issues. I contribute it to an excellent surgery. I think this is a very positive sign for you. Just watch farting. :) Keep up the walking and drinking.

carl (davinci 2/24/2010)
    initial psa 5.5 gleason 3+3
    mayo clinic phoenix

thanks
    I take it as a positive as well.... and happy to hear about your positive experience as well....
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    You are the Exception, not the Rule
    BD, I rejoyce with your progress but for most men it is not so easy.

Looking back, I would have not had surgery, just the shots and radiation.

What is done is done. There is no going back, ever.

The day my cath was pulled I ran like a faucet for over two weeks. I was hardly slowing down when I got hit with the hormone shot. The shot was given with no explaination, nothing to prepare for the emotional roller coaster ahead, no warning of side effects, just bang! there you are, now go have a good day. Leaking a lot and my emotions all screwed up- about the worst time of my life.

That is another side of surgery.
    142 Member Posts: 169
    bdhilton said:

thanks
    I take it as a positive as well.... and happy to hear about your positive experience as well....

pads, and pads, and more pads ....
    At DaVinci +20 weeks, still on multiple pads a day. I'll call you lucky.
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    142 said:

pads, and pads, and more pads ....
    At DaVinci +20 weeks, still on multiple pads a day. I'll call you lucky.

My Point Exactly
    BD is the exception, not the rule. It took me 7 months to be dry enoough to start radiation. And then I was still had a lot of stress incontinence. Sure makes backpacking a challenge.

That does not mean I'm not excited for BD- I am. Anyone who can go through surgery in be dry the same week is, in my mind, a miracle!!
  • luckyman2
    luckyman2 Member Posts: 54
    Trew said:

You are the Exception, not the Rule
    BD, I rejoyce with your progress but for most men it is not so easy.

Looking back, I would have not had surgery, just the shots and radiation.

What is done is done. There is no going back, ever.

The day my cath was pulled I ran like a faucet for over two weeks. I was hardly slowing down when I got hit with the hormone shot. The shot was given with no explaination, nothing to prepare for the emotional roller coaster ahead, no warning of side effects, just bang! there you are, now go have a good day. Leaking a lot and my emotions all screwed up- about the worst time of my life.

That is another side of surgery.

Rules of engagement
    We have all entered this battle unwillingly and during this time have tried to come to grips with the "rules of engagement". What is normal to some, is an exception to others.

It is so important for us all to remember that we have all endured a trauma to the body... and each body reacts with its own defence. Some (including myself) endure a post-tramatic stress disorder... as if we didn't already have enough to deal with.

Cancer doesn't abide by rules of engagement. It will strike you anytime and anywhere. It will leave you dealing with wounds, both to your body and your mind... if you survive at all. Like combat, we quickly deal with the visible wounds and treat them while hoping that we made the right choice of treatment for the patient's survival. But we must acknowledge that this enemy can deal a blow to the mind too.

For those who have gone through the battle, give yourself the time to let your body heal. It has gone through a tremendous trauma, and for some much worse than others, so don't be too quick to get out there running a marathon. There are no medals to be won here.

For those who are experiencing a slow climb back up from the depths of your wounds, remember: your body is an incredible fortress with its own unique defences. Again, you've got to understand what your own body has just gone through and what it can take. Respect that it will take more time.

For those who are dealing with post-tramatic stress disorder, talk about it. You can get help only if you let someone know how you feel.
  • chorton581
    chorton581 Member Posts: 15

Randy in indy

Pee
    I always had a good stream but looking back prior to surgery i would start and stop a few times. After surgery i have a manly stream :)
    Age at time of surgery maybe key
  • mrshisname
    mrshisname Member Posts: 186
    so glad
    so glad to hear of your success! I will be anxiously awaiting your path report. Hope its all good news! Maria
  • johndz
    johndz Member Posts: 33
    luckyman2 said:

Rules of engagement
    We have all entered this battle unwillingly and during this time have tried to come to grips with the "rules of engagement". What is normal to some, is an exception to others.

It is so important for us all to remember that we have all endured a trauma to the body... and each body reacts with its own defence. Some (including myself) endure a post-tramatic stress disorder... as if we didn't already have enough to deal with.

Cancer doesn't abide by rules of engagement. It will strike you anytime and anywhere. It will leave you dealing with wounds, both to your body and your mind... if you survive at all. Like combat, we quickly deal with the visible wounds and treat them while hoping that we made the right choice of treatment for the patient's survival. But we must acknowledge that this enemy can deal a blow to the mind too.

For those who have gone through the battle, give yourself the time to let your body heal. It has gone through a tremendous trauma, and for some much worse than others, so don't be too quick to get out there running a marathon. There are no medals to be won here.

For those who are experiencing a slow climb back up from the depths of your wounds, remember: your body is an incredible fortress with its own unique defences. Again, you've got to understand what your own body has just gone through and what it can take. Respect that it will take more time.

For those who are dealing with post-tramatic stress disorder, talk about it. You can get help only if you let someone know how you feel.

luckyman2 - rules of engagement - mild pain
    Does anyone have any problem with mild uncomfortable pain around belly button extend to two next cuts after 11 weeks? I have this problem and come and go and made me feel uncomfortable. DR told me it come from my brain etc... - he gave me some anti depress med and some bowel irritaion but it won't help at all. CT scan look normal. I wonder anyone have any similar reaction from body after Davincy? 11 weeks after Davinci, 1 fairly dry pad a day, ED normal - Zero PSA - so far so good just to deal with this mild pain around belly button! I read some one in the forum very active, run for many miles after 6-7 weeks after surgery? I don't think I can - Look like I will need at least 6 months to make sure my body is fully recover! I just walking and biking for now!

Thanks

John