Kids are just great - honest!

BethInAz
BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
A funny story for you this morning! I visited yesterday with a gal who is a 3 year BC survivor. She was in town for a few days with her grandkids. She hadn't seen me since before chemo so hadn't witnessed me with bald head. I walked over to her house with ballcap and we were sitting in her living room chatting when I heard the grandkids coming in from outside. I asked if I should put my ballcap on for the kids. Would they be startled by a bald lady sitting on the couch? She said they'd be fine. The boys are 7 and 5. When they came into the room, my friend asked if they remembered me. They looked at me quizzically and said "no." I said I got a really short haircut and then my friend said that I'd had to take some medicine that made my hair fall out. The boys absorbed that info and ran outside to play in the snow. Later they came in and were playing in the room. As I got ready to leave, I told the 7 year old that I would have more hair the next time he saw me. With all seriousness, he looked at me and said "I hope so!" As I walked home, I couldn't help but laugh at his candor. And I had to agree with him - I hope I have more hair when I see him next time, too!
Beth

Comments

• ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    kids being honest
    My 4yr. old granson told me when i first started wearing my real short hair proudly that I looked like a man.My son felt bad for me and I just laughed and said if everyone was as honest as kids are.it would be a lot better world.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    ppurdin said:

kids being honest
    My 4yr. old granson told me when i first started wearing my real short hair proudly that I looked like a man.My son felt bad for me and I just laughed and said if everyone was as honest as kids are.it would be a lot better world.

Out of the mouths of babes!
    Out of the mouths of babes! Thanks for the laugh.
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    It will be better soon!
    Aren't kids are the best at making us laugh at ourselves!! I work in an elementary school and I was still in chemo when school started last September. I've always worn a scarf to work because I also feared that the bald teacher might scare the kids. I've answered endless questions all year about why I wear a scarf and many who understand have asked constantly if it's growing back.

My hair is maybe an inch and a half long now. I still thought it was too short to not wear the scarves but over the weekend I finally reached my breaking point and braved into the world with my very short hair. I was pretty nervous when I went to school this morning. Most of the students thought I'd gotten a haircut, but one of my favorite students brought it all back to normal for me. He nearly walked right past me because I think he didn't recognize me at first, but when he realized who I was, he suddenly stopped, looked back at me and said "Well it's about time you stopped wearing that stupid scarf! I like your hair way better!"

He was right - it was way past time to get rid of the stupid scarf! Hang in there! Your hair will be back before you know it!
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    mickeymom said:

It will be better soon!
    Aren't kids are the best at making us laugh at ourselves!! I work in an elementary school and I was still in chemo when school started last September. I've always worn a scarf to work because I also feared that the bald teacher might scare the kids. I've answered endless questions all year about why I wear a scarf and many who understand have asked constantly if it's growing back.

My hair is maybe an inch and a half long now. I still thought it was too short to not wear the scarves but over the weekend I finally reached my breaking point and braved into the world with my very short hair. I was pretty nervous when I went to school this morning. Most of the students thought I'd gotten a haircut, but one of my favorite students brought it all back to normal for me. He nearly walked right past me because I think he didn't recognize me at first, but when he realized who I was, he suddenly stopped, looked back at me and said "Well it's about time you stopped wearing that stupid scarf! I like your hair way better!"

He was right - it was way past time to get rid of the stupid scarf! Hang in there! Your hair will be back before you know it!

Great story
    I loved your story! Kids have such a great way of seeing life without all of the issues we place on it. I think I've become more kid-like through this journey. Perhaps I embarrass people around me too much with my honesty but I think it's a whole lot more real and truthful and relatable. And it makes us less serious about ourselves.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing!
    Beth