Oh No

lcarper2
lcarper2 Member Posts: 635 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
ONC office just called and my liver mets came back alittle elevated and they will do a scan of some kind in about 2 weeks to make sure nothing is going on what does this mean never heard this before...

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Clarification?
    Hi LouAnn

Wow, something changed in 3 days, didn't it? One of your last posts was that bloodwork was all clear - and you had beaten 50% - and all was well, but old age in the back.

So, this post needs a little more information to try and answer your question.

Does your latest CT scan actually show liver mets?

I think what you may be referring to (since you just did bloodwork) is some liver ENZYME tests that have come back elevated. Bilburin is one of the things tested.

Another one of the tests that could have run would be a CA 19-9, which measures for cancer activity in the liver and pancreas? Any reading above 36 is a flag.

And from what I can gather from you, I would say they are going to run another CT or an MRI and check to see if they see any "mets" or growths and what size they were if anything. They would then measure those Scans vs Bloodwork just done and make their hypothesis and come back to you with their opinion on what they saw and what the readings were.

It's never uncommon for something to "change" or "be missed" during a cancer battle.

The best thing to do right now is don't overthink this just yet. Go ahead and run the scans - meet with the onc - and then you'll know what needs to be done, based on your consultation.

No worries yet - nothing will change in a few days anyway. If something is there, you caught it and can deal with it. If it's nothing, then it's just that - nothing.

Let's hope for the latter.

-Craig
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Liver mets
    I think what you are trying to say is that in your blood work, the blood tests for your liver came back elevated. Just to check on things he is going to have you scanned. This could be something or it could be nothing. If you mean that your scan came back and you have liver mets that seem a little larger he wants a better picture of what is going on. Other than that I really don't know. Are you talking blood test or scan of liver mets? Take a deep breath - Tina
  • lcarper2
    Sundanceh said:

Clarification?
    Hi LouAnn

Wow, something changed in 3 days, didn't it? One of your last posts was that bloodwork was all clear - and you had beaten 50% - and all was well, but old age in the back.

So, this post needs a little more information to try and answer your question.

Does your latest CT scan actually show liver mets?

I think what you may be referring to (since you just did bloodwork) is some liver ENZYME tests that have come back elevated. Bilburin is one of the things tested.

Another one of the tests that could have run would be a CA 19-9, which measures for cancer activity in the liver and pancreas? Any reading above 36 is a flag.

And from what I can gather from you, I would say they are going to run another CT or an MRI and check to see if they see any "mets" or growths and what size they were if anything. They would then measure those Scans vs Bloodwork just done and make their hypothesis and come back to you with their opinion on what they saw and what the readings were.

It's never uncommon for something to "change" or "be missed" during a cancer battle.

The best thing to do right now is don't overthink this just yet. Go ahead and run the scans - meet with the onc - and then you'll know what needs to be done, based on your consultation.

No worries yet - nothing will change in a few days anyway. If something is there, you caught it and can deal with it. If it's nothing, then it's just that - nothing.

Let's hope for the latter.

-Craig

oh
    I guess they did say enzyme were alittle elevated not mets sorry this is all new to me...any way they are going to do a scan of some kind not sure yet what kind I can't have the iodine for a c scan so will wait till I hear from ONC and yes he did say blood work was fine so I am confused as to how it can go from fine to alittle elevated...
  • lcarper2
    geotina said:

Liver mets
    I think what you are trying to say is that in your blood work, the blood tests for your liver came back elevated. Just to check on things he is going to have you scanned. This could be something or it could be nothing. If you mean that your scan came back and you have liver mets that seem a little larger he wants a better picture of what is going on. Other than that I really don't know. Are you talking blood test or scan of liver mets? Take a deep breath - Tina

no
    it was blood work that came bk elevated
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Are you still on Xeloda?
    Tylenol, gallbladder problems, chemo can cause a rise in liver enzymes. A certain liver enzyme of mine was a little high when I was having gallbladder attacks.

Do you have your gallbladder? My attacks were all BACK PAIN. Horrible back pain. Felt like muscle spasms.
  • lcarper2

Are you still on Xeloda?
    Tylenol, gallbladder problems, chemo can cause a rise in liver enzymes. A certain liver enzyme of mine was a little high when I was having gallbladder attacks.

Do you have your gallbladder? My attacks were all BACK PAIN. Horrible back pain. Felt like muscle spasms.

no
    galblader and my back still hurts and no I am not on Xeloda finished that last weeek and what I had left over I mailed to lisa...,
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Which enzymes
    There are 4 main liver numbers my onc looks at...the ALT, AST, Alkaline Phosphatase and Bilirubin. Each could be elevated for different reasons and one even goes up due to strenuous exercise. So, there can be an innocuous reason for elevation. I think going for a scan just based upon elevated enzymes seems pretty over-the-top. Do you know which enzyme they are concerned with?
  • lcarper2
    mom_2_3 said:

Which enzymes
    There are 4 main liver numbers my onc looks at...the ALT, AST, Alkaline Phosphatase and Bilirubin. Each could be elevated for different reasons and one even goes up due to strenuous exercise. So, there can be an innocuous reason for elevation. I think going for a scan just based upon elevated enzymes seems pretty over-the-top. Do you know which enzyme they are concerned with?

no
    but I think I will call tomorrow and get more info I need to know what is going on...
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    elevated liver enzymes
    If you mean the liver enzymes are elevated, there could easily be a few different reasons this could have happened. Don't panic!

BTW, I got your package today- I'm sending you a PM.

Hugs,
    Lisa