cellulitis/infection again

Options
tommaseena
tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have cellulitis or infection again so the PS in Massachusetts put me on two antibiotics and will see the PS in Portland, closer to home, in the morning after Herceptin treatment.

Boobs are pink and hot again. Wishing something else made them pink and hot--insert laugh.

I just don't understand why now after everything I've been through and a simple procedure of nipple reconstruction and this happens.

I am probably more stressed out then I should be--especially at work--they are talking about us working from home and I will miss the conversation with adults and don't know if I can do it.

I will have to get on this site and communicate with others throughout the day to keep myself sane. Also I was spoken to today as well as two others about not having 40 hours of sick leave on the books. I have a meeting with Human Resources tomorrow afternoon to fill out the paperwork for FMLA(Family Medical Leave Act) so they can't fire me for taking time off for my treatments. I have never abused Sick Leave and am not abusing it now. I have run very low on sick leave and have had to use my vacation time for hospital stay and doctors appts.

I need to relax and have a great vacation sometime soon. Maybe in October when my step daughter gets married in Monterey, CA and Jake and I will go to Disney and other amusement parks and forget about the stress.

Thanks for listening or should I say reading my venting today.

Hugs to all,
Margo

Comments

• Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Did the nipple reconstruction cause the infection/cellulitis? So sorry you are having this pain and hassle!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Did the nipple reconstruction cause the infection/cellulitis? So sorry you are having this pain and hassle!

Monterey sounds wonderful
    Margo,
    I am very sorry. Have you tried to boost your immune system? Vitamins and good nutrition will help your body to fight infection.
    Wishing you fast healing and feel better soon,
    New Flower
  • tommaseena
    Options

Monterey sounds wonderful
    Margo,
    I am very sorry. Have you tried to boost your immune system? Vitamins and good nutrition will help your body to fight infection.
    Wishing you fast healing and feel better soon,
    New Flower

answers
    I don't know if the nipple reconstruction caused this or if it is a fluke.
    I take vitamins and eat good things. Sometimes I think I can hear all the pills shaking inside when I walk--LOL.

Hopefully this is something that will clear up fast and won't come back.
    No fever which is a good thing--I think.

Margo

P.S. I hope they will still be able to do the Herceptin treatment today.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options

answers
    I take vitamins and eat good things. Sometimes I think I can hear all the pills shaking inside when I walk--LOL.

Margo

Margo, so sorry to hear that

Margo, so sorry to hear that you are having more problems and that they are giving you a hassle at work. The last thing you need right now is changes/issues at work. I agree with you about working from home. Most of the time, I prefer to go into the office. Part of it is that my husband works from home, and we would have to share an office. We aren't good office mates. But, the interaction with others is what makes work interesting.

I hope things start to look up soon!

Joyce
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    jk1952 said:

Margo, so sorry to hear that

Margo, so sorry to hear that you are having more problems and that they are giving you a hassle at work. The last thing you need right now is changes/issues at work. I agree with you about working from home. Most of the time, I prefer to go into the office. Part of it is that my husband works from home, and we would have to share an office. We aren't good office mates. But, the interaction with others is what makes work interesting.

I hope things start to look up soon!

Joyce

I have been working from
    I have been working from home for years and you will love it!!! I got to be home with my daughter through her teenage years. Although i did miss the adult conversations, i have a lot of friends, family, and neighbors that i enjoyed seeing and talking to more than when i was working all day in an office. Plus, you will save so much money! Believe me, you will love it. It gets a little depressing when it is snowy, but it is worth it when it is nice out. You can go out in the sun, take a break whenever you want.
    I did have some issues with taking time off work for treatments, i am currently on FMLA so i am protected. I hope your infection clears up, take care
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Options

answers

Margo

So sorry
    Wow, you sure have a lot on your plate! The last thing any of us needs is hassle from work!

I only have one recommendation for you....glad to see you eat healthy! I ended up (still have) dermatitis which was caused from my compromised immune system and lots of anti-biotics. So.....my PCP has me eating Activia every day and also taking Acidophilis. These will eat up any bad bacteria in your system and help maintain your immune system. I still itch, but I'm getting better after following this regimen for a month now.

I wish you well.
  • tommaseena
    Options
    pattimc said:

So sorry
    Wow, you sure have a lot on your plate! The last thing any of us needs is hassle from work!

I only have one recommendation for you....glad to see you eat healthy! I ended up (still have) dermatitis which was caused from my compromised immune system and lots of anti-biotics. So.....my PCP has me eating Activia every day and also taking Acidophilis. These will eat up any bad bacteria in your system and help maintain your immune system. I still itch, but I'm getting better after following this regimen for a month now.

I wish you well.

Update
    No Herceptin treatment today since I am on antibiotics so they are hoping that I can have it next week.

Plastic surgeon I saw said to keep an eye on it and the antibiotics should take care of it this time.

I am taking Acidophilis when I take my antibiotics.

Resting this weekend.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

Update
    No Herceptin treatment today since I am on antibiotics so they are hoping that I can have it next week.

Plastic surgeon I saw said to keep an eye on it and the antibiotics should take care of it this time.

I am taking Acidophilis when I take my antibiotics.

Resting this weekend.

So sorry you're having to go through all of this when you're so close to being finished with any "procedures".

If you're on FMLA, not only can they not fire you, but they should not count any of that time off toward any disciplinary action. Hopefully it won't come to that, but make sure you have documentation just in case you need it.

Hopefully the antibiotics kick in soon and you won't be feeling all hot and bothered!

Take care,
    Cindy
  • tommaseena
    Options

So sorry you're having to go through all of this when you're so close to being finished with any "procedures".

If you're on FMLA, not only can they not fire you, but they should not count any of that time off toward any disciplinary action. Hopefully it won't come to that, but make sure you have documentation just in case you need it.

Hopefully the antibiotics kick in soon and you won't be feeling all hot and bothered!

Take care,
    Cindy

FMLA
    No one told me about the FMLA at work when I was first diagnosed so I have filled out the paperwork for this year and just waiting for oncologist to sign it and then it will go for approval signature.

My supervisor doesn't give me any problems when I need time off it is her supervisor that is causing problems.

Skin is pinker and more of it this morning. What the hell.

Going to forget this some today since the sun is shining today and will do things outside since it is going to rain tomorrow.

Margo
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options

FMLA
    No one told me about the FMLA at work when I was first diagnosed so I have filled out the paperwork for this year and just waiting for oncologist to sign it and then it will go for approval signature.

My supervisor doesn't give me any problems when I need time off it is her supervisor that is causing problems.

Skin is pinker and more of it this morning. What the hell.

Going to forget this some today since the sun is shining today and will do things outside since it is going to rain tomorrow.

Margo

((((((HUGS)))) Margo! There
    ((((((HUGS)))) Margo! There is truly nothing more I can add to the kind words and wisdom you have already gotten from the sisters on the boards. I can only imagine how disconcerting this all is, and wanted to send you healing hugs.

Take good advantage of the sunshine...breathe deeply and know we are all pulling for you. And hugging your Jake isn't a bad idea either! :-)

Chen♥
  • Sharon_D
    Sharon_D Member Posts: 55
    Options
    chenheart said:

((((((HUGS)))) Margo! There
    ((((((HUGS)))) Margo! There is truly nothing more I can add to the kind words and wisdom you have already gotten from the sisters on the boards. I can only imagine how disconcerting this all is, and wanted to send you healing hugs.

Take good advantage of the sunshine...breathe deeply and know we are all pulling for you. And hugging your Jake isn't a bad idea either! :-)

Chen♥

Ouch
    One afternoon in January I was running some errands when I realized I was hurting under my left arm and across my chest where the mastectomy sight was. I thought I had lifted too much or my bra was crooked or something, but it didn't go away.

By the time I got home, I was having chills and actually thought I was coming down with the flu.

No such luck! By the next morning, my chest was past red toward ANGRY and swollen and my fever was 102*.

I ended up in the hospital for 5 days on an IV of the granddaddy of all antibiotics. The dr said it was just one of those flukey things that "just happen". It had been six months since surgery, so it wasn't surgery related. It just happened.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Sharon_D said:

Ouch
    One afternoon in January I was running some errands when I realized I was hurting under my left arm and across my chest where the mastectomy sight was. I thought I had lifted too much or my bra was crooked or something, but it didn't go away.

By the time I got home, I was having chills and actually thought I was coming down with the flu.

No such luck! By the next morning, my chest was past red toward ANGRY and swollen and my fever was 102*.

I ended up in the hospital for 5 days on an IV of the granddaddy of all antibiotics. The dr said it was just one of those flukey things that "just happen". It had been six months since surgery, so it wasn't surgery related. It just happened.

Margo,
    I am so sorry that

Margo,
    I am so sorry that all this is happening. I am glad that you are doing the FMLA thing. That should help to relieve the stress. I will keep you in my prayers and good thoughts that you will soon put this all behind you and you and Jake will go off the Disneyland. Hey, that could be the next Disneyland commercial. Margo, what are you going to do now that all your breast cancer treatment is over? I'm going to disneyland. LOL
    Stef
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Sharon_D said:

Ouch

Dont ya just wish it would
    Dont ya just wish it would let you go? all thes flukey things. I had my bum surgery and was feeling ok after two weeks, so was doing more, trying to clean my messy house a bit etc.. well was in intense pain by the night, being too vertical = swelling=pain. and now I have to be horizontal for awhile. UGH!!! Its like enough already. then I say this too shall pass, but please pass for goodness sake. I hope it clears up for good this time!!!!!
  • Kim59
    Kim59 Member Posts: 43
    Options
    you are not alone
    Margo

I have had nothing but trouble with healing after my bil mastectomy Oct 30. My left breast incison (the one with the ca) continues to become red and opens. I have been on antibiotics forever. I get lots of protein, drinking ensure, Danactive and Juven which is suppose to promote wound healing. The PS says it's because of the chemo and low immunity, who really knows. Back to the PS on Monday for probably more stiches as the incision has started to open up again.
    I don't regret my choice of immediate reconstruction after mastectomy but is sure has tested my patience...

2 more chemos and I am done!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Sorry you are having
    Sorry you are having problems. :>(
    When I had cellulitis on my leg the doctor had to change antibiotics cause the first one didn't work. Hope they get it under control soon.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Margo I developed cellulitis
    Margo I developed cellulitis in August and stopped taking 'vantin" within the past month. Originally I was on "cipro" and one other anitibiotic which did nothing. I wasnt hospitalized because the infection disease doc felt we could handle it with oral antibiotics. I had to take the meds thru most of the chemo. The area still becomes swollen and red after chemo but nothing like it was in August. I pray you get it under control. My incision is still very red and I also pray that I dont have to deal with it again.

How is the infection responding to the new antibiotics?
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Kim59 said:

you are not alone
    Margo

I have had nothing but trouble with healing after my bil mastectomy Oct 30. My left breast incison (the one with the ca) continues to become red and opens. I have been on antibiotics forever. I get lots of protein, drinking ensure, Danactive and Juven which is suppose to promote wound healing. The PS says it's because of the chemo and low immunity, who really knows. Back to the PS on Monday for probably more stiches as the incision has started to open up again.
    I don't regret my choice of immediate reconstruction after mastectomy but is sure has tested my patience...

2 more chemos and I am done!

So sorry Margo. I hope the
    So sorry Margo. I hope the antibiotics clear up the infection really quick!

Sue :)
  • tommaseena
    Options
    natly15 said:

Margo I developed cellulitis
    Margo I developed cellulitis in August and stopped taking 'vantin" within the past month. Originally I was on "cipro" and one other anitibiotic which did nothing. I wasnt hospitalized because the infection disease doc felt we could handle it with oral antibiotics. I had to take the meds thru most of the chemo. The area still becomes swollen and red after chemo but nothing like it was in August. I pray you get it under control. My incision is still very red and I also pray that I dont have to deal with it again.

How is the infection responding to the new antibiotics?

So far so good
    The second round of antibiotics seems to be doing the trick.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

So far so good

Way to go!! Hope this 2nd
    Way to go!! Hope this 2nd round takes care of it!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options

So far so good

So glad to hear that you are
    So glad to hear that you are doing better. xoxoxox Lynn