I'm done with rads - But rads aren't done with me!

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my 25th/last radiation today - Yippy! BUT skin is having problems! Other than slight reddening and a few darker spots until over the weekend there had been no real problems. By Monday, there was a small area under arm that had opened up a bit. Dr. saw it and DC'd the bolus (think that's how it's spelled) but continued. Anywho - let's just say that the open area is a lot bigger and looks like it is going to get bigger. The good part is that it does not hurt at all - there is a lot of nerve damage in the area so no pain but that could also be not the best either. I have Mepilex to cover it with but Hubby got called to work before I got home so til he home, it's uncovered.
(LONG story - weather is nasty here now - 1 of the guys was out about 75 miles from here and totaled the work van on icy roads [he's fine], Hubby who should have been off all day got called to get another work van and go get him. He did but then while taking the guy to the service call they got stuck in a snow bank out in the middle of BFE [nowhere] but a rancher happened by and pulled them out finally. They made it back to about 50 miles from town and the second van 'died' - somebody else finally got there and they are supposed to be on the way)

The big thing is - I finished rads after chemo, surgery and chemo! Skin will heal and tomorrow is another glorius day!

God Bless All!

Forgot to add - I also saw Chemo Dr today and he doesn't want to see me for 6 months - just stay on the Femara.

Comments

• Cairmaid
    Cairmaid Member Posts: 64
    Thankful for good things
    I've noticed that I'm more thankful for the little things in life, like having my husband home safely...I trust yours made it home, finally?

I had accelerated intense radiation, Jan. 18-22. Even though it was only a short time, it felt wonderful to have it over with. The redness has gone down quite a bit but there's still a little, in the spot where it first started. It didn't help that I peeled some of the skin off and got down to raw nerves :-) You'd think that, being a red-head, I'd know better by now. I've stopped wearing my bra and will just wear bulky sweaters for a while.

When you say "opened up" do you mean broken skin/open sore? OUCH. But, as you said, it will heal.

What are you using to help your skin? I'm slathering on aloe gel at night (when I have the time to let it dry) and Curel lotion in the morning, right before I get dressed for work.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Cairmaid said:

Thankful for good things
    I've noticed that I'm more thankful for the little things in life, like having my husband home safely...I trust yours made it home, finally?

I had accelerated intense radiation, Jan. 18-22. Even though it was only a short time, it felt wonderful to have it over with. The redness has gone down quite a bit but there's still a little, in the spot where it first started. It didn't help that I peeled some of the skin off and got down to raw nerves :-) You'd think that, being a red-head, I'd know better by now. I've stopped wearing my bra and will just wear bulky sweaters for a while.

When you say "opened up" do you mean broken skin/open sore? OUCH. But, as you said, it will heal.

What are you using to help your skin? I'm slathering on aloe gel at night (when I have the time to let it dry) and Curel lotion in the morning, right before I get dressed for work.

Hubby made it home all in one piece
    Opened up as in a burn that the skin has sloughed off, an open sore that is 'weeping', probably about 3" X 3". The area that is open should be hurting BAD but isn't because after surgery there is no feeling in that area.

I've been slathering (love that word) on an aloe gel several times a day that they gave me at the CCI and Aquaphor at night.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Sorry
    for the sore site,but glad that your hubby made it home safely!
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Congrats!
    Congratulations on finishing your rads! Sorry you ended up w/a burn...but your right...it will heal! Pretty soon, it's dancing shoe time!
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    I had several open burns,
    Though not as large an area. Mine 'wept' also, clothing stuck to me - yuck! Worse spot was undr my breast - hot skin on hot skin. It would dry up some at night or if I was flat on my back air drying. I cleared up very quickly once I was finished with rads - last Friday. Now I'm mostly dry and flakey!

I hope you will see improvement now that you are done with rads. Try to air out. I also used a little mixture of half peroxide and half water to help dry and keep from infection. Of course, always check with your HCP before using anything.

Congratulations on finishing - what are you going to do with now all that extra time on your hands?

Sue
  • Susan4thecure
    Susan4thecure Member Posts: 7
    Beware of the fatigue!
    Finished mine mid October, did not fare as well. Had numerous open blisters but did not want to skip any treatment, wanted to be done! For me itching was bad for a few weeks afterward. Just layer on those greasy creams, they do help. Don't be alarmed if you start feeling very tired. Mine did not hit until a week or two after the treatment. Lasted for a couple of months. Very frustrating because I really like to go all day. Just had to give in and take naps. When I tried to fight it I started getting "out of it" a bit like brain tired. Not safe to drive. Each treatment stage has its side effects, no one said this one would last so long. Making it all day now but it has been three months.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    jbug said:

Congrats!
    Congratulations on finishing your rads! Sorry you ended up w/a burn...but your right...it will heal! Pretty soon, it's dancing shoe time!

Congratulations on finishing
    Congratulations on finishing rads! Praying that you heal quickly!
  • Cairmaid
    Cairmaid Member Posts: 64

Beware of the fatigue!
    Finished mine mid October, did not fare as well. Had numerous open blisters but did not want to skip any treatment, wanted to be done! For me itching was bad for a few weeks afterward. Just layer on those greasy creams, they do help. Don't be alarmed if you start feeling very tired. Mine did not hit until a week or two after the treatment. Lasted for a couple of months. Very frustrating because I really like to go all day. Just had to give in and take naps. When I tried to fight it I started getting "out of it" a bit like brain tired. Not safe to drive. Each treatment stage has its side effects, no one said this one would last so long. Making it all day now but it has been three months.

Fatigue Lightbulb
    The lightbulb just went on :-) I had no idea the fatigue from radiation could kick in late and last a while afterward. I'm fatigued but didn't feel too bad until Daylight Savings time started. I was so drained yesterday, I took a 2.5 hour nap before bedtime last night, and had trouble sleeping through the night for the first time since starting my Femara (4 weeks ago). I felt better throughout the day today, though. I have a lot of muscle pain and have just started giving in to taking Tylenol (I hate taking pills...I have a pill party every night, anyway, with the Femara and 3 calcium+D caplets, then on Friday nights I add a mega-dose of Vit. D. If I take Tylenol on top of all that, I have to stop posting messages earlier just to get ready for bed...bummer!)

I guess rads aren't done with me, either!