New to discussions and have questions

pinkvictory
pinkvictory Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello, I am new to the discussion boards. I was diagnosed on January 12, 2010 with breast cancer. On Feb. 4 2010 I had bi lateral masectomy with tram flap reconstruction. I am schedule for 6months of chemo with 6 1/2 weeks of radiation. I had my first chemo coctail A/C on March 8th. March 9th I received the Neulestra injection.
I am a child of God and have a strong faith in the Lord. I am going through this journey with Him comforting me all the way. Even though I have been feeling really bad. I feel His presences. I am so fatigue. Nauseated all the time even though I am taking to nauseated medications. Just taking a shower and brushing my teeth wears me out and I need a nap. I taking sleeping pills to help at night. Yet the Neulestra is the worst. Every bone in my body hurts, not ache, hurts. I feel washed out and tired all the time. Yet I still find a way to make it around the house just to take a walk.
I watch a lot of movies, of course I don't usually finish 'cause I fall asleep. lol I do find myself becoming depressed at times cause I feel so useless. And everyone has to help me with everything. I'm used to doing it all myself. I love to help people. I have a great support family and friends to no end who are always calling to find out what they can do for me or just come sit with me. I am blessed. I have no choice but to let them help. It does make me feel good yet I depressed that I can't do for them.
One question I have is whats next? Will I feel like this my whole treatment. I go once a week for treatment. with the Neulestra injection. By the time I'm just about and I do mean just about to feel a little better its time again for another coctail.

Comments

• Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Hi Pinkvictory. Sorry to
    Hi Pinkvictory. Sorry to hear you're so wiped out. I had the A/C every 2 weeks with the Neulastra shot. Every treatment reaction was different for me. Ask your doc. for pain meds. There's no reason for you to be in pain. Listen to your body and do what it tells you to do. Now's the time for you to be taken care of. Your job is to fight the cancer.

Best of luck
    Sher
  • dash4
    dash4 Member Posts: 303 Member
    newbie too..
    Hi Pinkvictory,
    I won't know till tomorrow what my chemo plan is, but just wanted to tell you that I am adding you to my prayers...I know you will get lots of answers from many others on this board-it is the best for advice and especially support...
    mk
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Welcome, pinkvictory
    I'm glad you found us. Sher is so right -- there's NO reason for you to be in terrible pain during chemo. Talk to your doctor about pain meds -- I know it probably feels like you're just piling on pills and more pills during chemo, but it's temporary, and it's worth it to feel as good as you can during chemo, so that you have the strength to take care of yourself and do some of the things you enjoy, too.

Several women on this board have also mentioned that Claritin (the allergy medicine, available over the counter in any drugstore) really helped them with the Neulasta pain. Definitely ask you doctor about that, too.

I know what you mean about feeling useless. While I was glad and grateful to accept any and all help from others during treatment, I also missed being able to help others, too. One thing I did was join Dr. Susan Love's Army of Women, so at least occasionally I could fill out an online survey to help with breast cancer research -- it helped me feel I was still participating in something worthwhile outside of my treatment.

Traci
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Hey Pink
    If you're on the

Hey Pink
    If you're on the every 3 week plan, the 1st week is the worst, but it gets progressively better til by the third week you feel pretty normal..then you get t do it all over again!
    But you are fortunate to have great friends and family...and it doesn't sound like you have to worry about work...so just dont fight the fatigue...go to bed and rest and now you are 1 down, 5 to go!
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Welcome
    Welcome to this site. You are amongst friends and in good company. Chemo is tough and it will wipe you out because your red and white blood cells are low. Take it easy and get plenty of rest. Take care of yourself and if you are feeling depressed, come on to the boards and talk about it and do contact your Onc.

P
  • Flakey_Flake
    Flakey_Flake Member Posts: 130
    Welcome Pink
    Welcome Pink,

Chemo was hard for me too. I was so fatigued and depressed I could barely stand myself. But when my son would come home from school (he is in college, living with me so he can afford to concentrate on his education) and ask what I needed, the love and concern he showed seemed to make me feel very proud of him and I was glad we had a time when I was the weak one, and he could be the one who doing for me. It was a growing experience for the both of us. I could see the reward you get when you do for others. Sometimes it is our turn to be done for instead of doing for others.

You will feel better, I promise. In the mean time tell your oncologist how you are feeling. There is no shame is using pain medications. Make yourself as comfortable as possible and rest all you can. It sounds like you have alot of good people around you. They probably are honored to be your blessing at this trying time.
  • allforlee
    allforlee Member Posts: 2
    Tired
    I went through chemo 2 yrs ago. I had CAT, 6 times every 3 weeks. And yes I was tired. But I had a nurse expalain to me that it was my time to be taken care of. It was ok to be tired and ok to let others help. For the moment it was about me. I know it is hard to let others take care of things but you need to keep your strength to fight the battles in your body. Your family and friends want to take care of you. Probably many wish they coulod take your place. By the way - I am a huge Brad Pitt fan and would watch Legends of The Fall over and over again. I could fall asleep and wake up and never miss anything because I always knew where I was at in the movie. Maybe you could find something like that. Hang in there! There will be a day when you are walking and sharing again. My prayers are with you!
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    allforlee said:

Tired
    I went through chemo 2 yrs ago. I had CAT, 6 times every 3 weeks. And yes I was tired. But I had a nurse expalain to me that it was my time to be taken care of. It was ok to be tired and ok to let others help. For the moment it was about me. I know it is hard to let others take care of things but you need to keep your strength to fight the battles in your body. Your family and friends want to take care of you. Probably many wish they coulod take your place. By the way - I am a huge Brad Pitt fan and would watch Legends of The Fall over and over again. I could fall asleep and wake up and never miss anything because I always knew where I was at in the movie. Maybe you could find something like that. Hang in there! There will be a day when you are walking and sharing again. My prayers are with you!

Brad Pitt, blankies, and other comfort objects!
    allforlee, your story about "your" Brad Pitt movie strikes a chord with me. My comfort movie that I watch over and over is the version of "Pride and Prejudice" with Colin Firth. The countryside, costumes and language are soothing and beautiful. Like you, I often fall asleep to it. Friends gave me a soft, furry throw that I cried into for several weeks. I'm now sharing this special blankie with my teenaged daughter who's having a rough time with my cancer and her own teenaged stuff. Remember how little kids are unashamed about seeking comfort? They know what works, and it's okay for us to be that way, too.

Embrace whatever comforts you, and let others take care of life's details. For everything there's a season, and this is the season for you to recuperate. Eventually, the season changes, you know.
  • svillalobos01
    svillalobos01 Member Posts: 15
    Neulestra Injection
    Hi, when I was doing the chemo, I only had to have the shot the last two times, both times my nurse suggested I take a Claritin D pill like 30 min. before the shot. My body still hurt but it could of been worst without it, I don't know. For the nausea, I took EMEND, it's 3 capsules, you take one before the chemo and then 2 more the following 2 days in the morning. Besides EMEND, my oncologist also prescribed ONDANSETRON for the nausea, I only needed one extra pill every cycle. Make sure you ask your dr. about these medications, they worked great for me, but you know that every system is different. EMED is very expensive, but my insurance covered it.

It's not going to be easy, but you so are gonna make it. I am all done with my treatments. My life starts to feel kinda normal again. Take this journey day by day, you soon will be at the end of it and most important of all, do not loose your faith, that is what kept me going and the support of my family and friends. Don't even bother thinking that they are doing too much for you, they do it because that is probably the only way they can show you their love and support, so take care of yourself and just do what your body ask you to do, rest. Keep your energy for all those other treatments that are coming, as i said, it soon will be all over.

Anything else you need, we are here for you.
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Emend and Pain Pills
    Welcome pinkvictory, I was on your same cocktail mix. I took Emend, one pill before chemo began and one pill each day for two days after, it wiped out the nausea, it was an amazing drug. It is very expensive but my insurance covered 400.00 and I paid 75.00, yep for three pills. And for the neulasta shot, my bones hurt terribly, I took hydrocodone, prescription pain med, it was a life saver for the pain I endured, that shot wreaked havoc with my body. Please let your oncologist know what you are going through and don't suffer any more than you need too, there's plenty of good meds out there to help you get through this.
    Mountains of Love and Big Cyber Hugs,
    ~Kari
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Hi Pink
    Just wanted to add my welcome...this is a great place to find support any time. Blessings...
    Julie
  • Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    welcome
    Welcome to "our" site! You are among folks who will hold your hand and walk through this nightmare with you. I love the "pink victory" name!
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Sharon40 said:

welcome
    Welcome to "our" site! You are among folks who will hold your hand and walk through this nightmare with you. I love the "pink victory" name!

Wanted to welcome you too,
    Wanted to welcome you too, Pink. I haven't went thru much yet but these ladies here are the best and will share their experiences and info. Everyone says its "doable" and thats what I keep in my mind. Take care of yourself and let your family and friends help out. I'm sure it helps them to know they're helping you and God blesses the giver and the receiver, so let them help you. Your faith and courage will get you thru this, and we're all here for you too. Keep posting and let us know how you're taking that one step at a time, heading toward the finish line. Lots of prayers and hugs from all of us here.
  • Youcandothis
    Youcandothis Member Posts: 79
    Sunrae said:

Wanted to welcome you too,
    Wanted to welcome you too, Pink. I haven't went thru much yet but these ladies here are the best and will share their experiences and info. Everyone says its "doable" and thats what I keep in my mind. Take care of yourself and let your family and friends help out. I'm sure it helps them to know they're helping you and God blesses the giver and the receiver, so let them help you. Your faith and courage will get you thru this, and we're all here for you too. Keep posting and let us know how you're taking that one step at a time, heading toward the finish line. Lots of prayers and hugs from all of us here.

Plenty of good advice
    I can't add to all the worthwhile things people have said, but I want to tell you how right-on these posts are. You are in the arms of an awesome legion of warriors and survivors. Among us you will find wisdom, strength, examples, and experience. You will add your own input and we will lean on one another.