stage3

Darling
Darling Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My brother in law was diagnosed w/stage 3 colon cancer & has spread to his liver..I dont know much about it & he seeks me 4 advise since ive been battling breast cancer,any info please help!!! THANKS

Comments

• dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Hi Darling, actually, when
    Hi Darling, actually, when colon cancer has moved beyond the colon and lymph nodes into an organ such as the liver, that makes the patient Stage IV.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother in law. Has he already had surgery and began his chemo or do they want to try and shrink the cancer in his liver first?
  • Darling
    Darling Member Posts: 11

Hi Darling, actually, when
    Hi Darling, actually, when colon cancer has moved beyond the colon and lymph nodes into an organ such as the liver, that makes the patient Stage IV.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother in law. Has he already had surgery and began his chemo or do they want to try and shrink the cancer in his liver first?

I just found out Monday &
    I just found out Monday & not sure of the plan just yet,as for the staging part they told him stage3 so maybe they are gonna check the liver & he is confused
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Hello Darling
    Diane is right, when it moves to another organ it is Stage IV. My hubby is Stage IV. You can find out a lot by reading our bios, just click on our names. You didn't tell us much and didn't fill out your bio. Where is his tumor? Has he had surgery yet? Does he have a treatment plan yet? How old is your brother in law? If it is colon cancer as opposed to rectal cancer, the treatment may be different but generally the chemo drugs will be the same.

Good luck with this most difficult journey and feel free to ask any question you may have and someone will answer when they see your post and sign in. Tina
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Darling said:

I just found out Monday &
    I just found out Monday & not sure of the plan just yet,as for the staging part they told him stage3 so maybe they are gonna check the liver & he is confused

Hey Darling,
    It will be

Hey Darling,
    It will be confusing for a while. Don't worry about learning everything all at once. Just know that we will be here for you and your brother. Ask questions any time and we will do our best. Relax and take care.
    Roger
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Hi Darling
    You have come to the right place for help. I am fairly new here myself, but the folks here are very helpful about sharing their experiences as well as offering moral support.

As you get more details, share them here with your questions and I am sure that one or more will respond based on their own personal knowledge.

Perhaps your brother-in-law should have someone go to doctor visits with him to take notes. It is not always easy for the patient to take it all in.

Take care and let us know how we can help.

Marie