Emotional

BethInAz
BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
edited May 2023 in Breast Cancer #1
When I was approaching the oncologist's office yesterday 1 month after completing my chemo, a mom (with head cover) and her daughter were just walking out. The daughter gave her mom a big hug and said "Yay, Mom! You're all done! You did it!" Mom was beaming. I began tearing up with emotion, such was my joy for these two. I wonder if I'll always be this emotional and touched by the happiness at successful completion of treatment. I hope I will be. I don't want to be consumed by thoughts of cancer for the rest of my life - but I do want to be consumed with the emotional aliveness of compassion and joy for others who are tolerating this process.
From one emotional soul to all of you!
Beth

Comments

• marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Beth--thanks for sharing
    Beth--thanks for sharing that story. I think we all have a compassion for our pink sisters and celebrate good news. I think it is very important to have a positive attitude along this journey--although not always easy. I have faith that God has a good plan for my life and I will be ok, no matter what. Bless us all. Marilyn
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Yes, thanks, Beth. I think
    Yes, thanks, Beth. I think we have walked the walk and therefore can without a doubt understand the happiness and true meaning of the journey and what has been accomplished. I don't believe that will every go away. Thanks for sharing a heartfelt circumstance with us. I truly found it beautiful and happy!!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Emotional right there with you
    Beth,

I'm tearing up just reading this....If I had been there, I would have had a hard time keeping myself from running over and giving the mom a big hug myself.

I, for one, don't EVER want to lose my compassion for those who are on this journey -- because I don't know how I would have ever made it this far myself without the compassion of others!

Traci
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Emotional right there with you
    Beth,

I'm tearing up just reading this....If I had been there, I would have had a hard time keeping myself from running over and giving the mom a big hug myself.

I, for one, don't EVER want to lose my compassion for those who are on this journey -- because I don't know how I would have ever made it this far myself without the compassion of others!

Traci

So very true!
    Traci, Indeed, the compassion I've received from others has spurred me to "pay it forward" - the meaningful prayers, cards, and phone calls have all meant so much. I vow to reach out to others in the same way I've been reached out to! I'm thinking that sounds a bit like the Golden Rule!
    If I could have controlled myself, I would have run over and given the mom a big hug - but I was trying to pull myself together for my sign in with the receptionist who, by the way, took one look at me and asked what was wrong! I told her what I'd just witnessed and she gave me a box of tissues and smiled.
    I've begun buying tissues in bulk - at Costco!
    Beth
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    BethInAz said:

So very true!
    Traci, Indeed, the compassion I've received from others has spurred me to "pay it forward" - the meaningful prayers, cards, and phone calls have all meant so much. I vow to reach out to others in the same way I've been reached out to! I'm thinking that sounds a bit like the Golden Rule!
    If I could have controlled myself, I would have run over and given the mom a big hug - but I was trying to pull myself together for my sign in with the receptionist who, by the way, took one look at me and asked what was wrong! I told her what I'd just witnessed and she gave me a box of tissues and smiled.
    I've begun buying tissues in bulk - at Costco!
    Beth

WOW, you have all said some wonderful things!
    Marilyn, I hope to have your faith one day.
    I also want to reach out to others and give back some of the love and care that I've received through this endeavor.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Mama G said:

WOW, you have all said some wonderful things!
    Marilyn, I hope to have your faith one day.
    I also want to reach out to others and give back some of the love and care that I've received through this endeavor.

Beth, thanks for sharing
    Beth, thanks for sharing that wonderful story. I've witnessed so much compassion in my life since being dxed, with family, friends, drs., staff and yes strangers too. People have sent cards, emails, flowers, gifts, prayers and good wishes. One dear friend made me a beautiful lap quilt with my favorite scripture (Phil. 4:13) embroidered on it, another one knitted a beautiful white throw, made out of angel design. The ones that have touched me the most are the ones who simply write or say "I'm here for you, whenever you need me". One lady was trying to cheer me up and she was doing a good job. Then a large tear appeared in the corner of her eye and rolled down. She let me know that she is "here for me" in that one simple act. The ladies and men here on this board tho are the most amazing caring compassionate people you could ever want. This is where I come when I'm down, when I need something whether its information, support, love, prayers, compassion and HUGS. And yes, this is where I come when I'm up, to celebrate, be happy and supportive to others, sending you all love, prayers, best wishes and lots and lots of HUGS. If there is a good side to breast cancer (or any cancer), I think it brings out the best in us, helps make us better people and it teaches us how to be loving, caring and compassionate for others. Please continue to share any acts of compassion here, it's such a joy to read them.
  • susanleeann
    susanleeann Member Posts: 58
    that is a really nice story!

that is a really nice story!
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    One Positive to Breast Cancer
    Beth,

Having breast cancer has made me even more responsive and emotional to ALL PEOPLE. Whatever their health issue, it brings out a compassion and desire for me to talk to them and hug them. I always ask first, "Can I give you a hug." So far, I have not been refused. Recently at a major food store, I saw an older woman in a specialized, high-powered wheelchair who was having some difficulties in trying to reach a bag and open it up. Her fingers were misshapen from the MS - multiple sclerosis. I immediately approached her and asked her if I could help her. She said, "Yes." I then engaged in a conversation with her and before I left her, I asked her if I could give her a hug. Again she said, "Yes." I don't know who got the "bigger high" from my hug. I was so happy that I talked to her and hugged her. I am sure that I also made her day.

I think that so many people do not know how to approach and engage in a conversation with a person who has obvious health problems. Many people are afraid or not confident in what to say to that person.

My response is, "Smile, be warm, be pleasant, be yourself, and engage in a conversation. Say what is in your heart. Don't hesitate to make another person's day." (After writing this one, I am fighting the tears that are welling up. I guess today I am somewhat more emotional.)

Lots of Hugs and Lots of Love,
    Janelle
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Thank you for sharing this.
    Thank you for sharing this. There is so much compassion out there and I do think we become wounded healers.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    natly15 said:

Thank you for sharing this.
    Thank you for sharing this. There is so much compassion out there and I do think we become wounded healers.

Thank you for sharing your
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Beth. I think we are all so emotionally tied to each stage of treatment and survival, and this makes us a more demonstrative person. Last night we were having dinner, and a group next to us was celebrating (quite loudly) the completion of the last chemo treatment for the grandmother of the group. Balloons, whistles, flowers, pink attire, were all around. After we finished our meal, I went by the table, reached down, and hugged the elderly lady who was obviously the center of all of this attention. No words were exchanged, but we knew...linked forever by the same beast. My heart always goes out to those who are so easily spotted in a crowd; i.e. a bandana, a bald head, a cancer survivor pin, and there is always an exchange. Not always verbal, sometimes just a nod, a wink, or a smile. We are sisters, and sometimes we don't have to exchange words. Thank you for sharing your experience. Hugs. Judy
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    That is a Great Story
    That is a great story. I don't want to lose my compassion for anyone especially my pink sisters. I know how hard it is and how a shoulder is needed at times. I find I don't hold back anymore because what if there is no tomorrow.

P
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    That is a Great Story
    That is a great story. I don't want to lose my compassion for anyone especially my pink sisters. I know how hard it is and how a shoulder is needed at times. I find I don't hold back anymore because what if there is no tomorrow.

P
  • TerryRN
    TerryRN Member Posts: 2 *

I have stage 4 renal cancer with Mets to lungs. Had previous right radical nephrectomy in 2009.

my husband is in denial and anger. I can’t talk to him about my fears and worries. I’m on Opdivo and has helped but I know it won’t last forever.

I try to be positive but it’s scary . I’m 64

have no children both my parents are dead as well as my siblings. I feel like I’m on a bad journey all by myself

my husband worries about finances after I die. Doesn’t like me spending any money fusses I watch too much tv and play games on my phone. I’ve lost 120 pounds so far week all the time

anyone have any ideas on dealing with my husband if I want to talk about dying he says everyone is dying