surgery site has split open!

Sharon40
Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had an infection with one of the stiches. It started oozing pus (yuck) and then my surgery site started spliting open! I have a whole that is about 1 inch long and 1/2 deep in my skin! YUCK!! I am now packing it with sterile pads and covering it and taking antibiotics.

GOOD NEWS is I can still keep doing rads. BAD news is it will take twice as long to heal!
Has anyone else had this?
My doctor laughed and said he wasn't surprised it happened to me . . . it seems I don't have very good luck (LOL)!!

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Sharon, no, I have not
    Sharon, no, I have not experienced what you have and I cannot believe that your doctor would laugh about that. It's not a laughing matter. I'm glad for you that you can continue rads and finally be over the treatments but please be very careful with this site and possible infection. Take it easy and rest so the healing can continue. Please continue to post and let us know how you are doing. Take care!!
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Hi Sharon,
    I didn't quite

Hi Sharon,

I didn't quite have what you had but I did get an infection around the surgery site on my stomach (from the DIEP flap). The plastic surgeon then opened me up in two places (an inch long by 1/2 inch deep), drained some of the stuff and then gave me an antibiotic. This was a week after my sugery back in January. The one opening healed quickly, the other one, is only now almost completely healed. I had to pack it for 6 weeks.

Good news for me was that I was able to start chemo at the end of Feb. even though it was still a little open.

take care of it one day at a time and before you know it will be over
    Mariam
  • susanleeann
    susanleeann Member Posts: 58
    i decided that bad things
    i decided that bad things are not supposed to happen to anyone, but they are just things that happen. sometimes they are things that happen no matter how hard you and your medical team try to keep them from happening. don't know whether it is bad luck or not, just like getting cancer in the first place. sounds like your surgeon is taking care of you, wound infections happen.
    prayers are with you. keep at it. don't give up! another fence to jump over.
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    stitches
    Yes, I had a similar experience. A long suture actually came out of my incision and my surgeon had to do an in-office surgery right away. He aspirated the surrounding fluid and then cut off the stitch, which was about 2 inches long. I got to watch all of it on the ultrasound screen, and was VERY thankful I was still pretty numb from the surgery.
    Take care!
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Yes, Me too!
    Hi Sharon,

My site (masectomy) also opened up in the approx. dimensions you describe, yes a bit oozing - just a huge hole - they saw a hole in the scabbing and proceded to take off all the scabbing to reveal a HUGE hole...So, yes, packing (certainly NOT FUN!) for AT LEAST 6 weeks if I remember right...in fact it seemed like longer......It seemed like it would never heal but eventually it did, little by little and finally - "poof" no hole!

It is good you are taking anitbiotics and I know that packing is no fun at all, I am sorry you have to go thru this, I thought I was the only unlucky one.....because I, too, have been very unlucky I think...like if it is going to happen - you know - it will to me! (No doubt) haha..

Hang in there - it WILL heal. Keep up with your antibiotics and do your packing twice a day for sure. I have just had Rad #19 today....where are you in Rads?

Tracy
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Sharon, no, I have not
    Sharon, no, I have not experienced what you have and I cannot believe that your doctor would laugh about that. It's not a laughing matter. I'm glad for you that you can continue rads and finally be over the treatments but please be very careful with this site and possible infection. Take it easy and rest so the healing can continue. Please continue to post and let us know how you are doing. Take care!!

So sorry Sharon. I didn't
    So sorry Sharon. I didn't have this happen to me. I am surprised that your doctor laughed though. Sorry, but that doesn't sound very professional or caring to me. But, just my opinion. Glad you can continue radiation treatments. Keep us updated on how you do.

Good luck to you!

Sue :)
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    lizzie17 said:

stitches
    Yes, I had a similar experience. A long suture actually came out of my incision and my surgeon had to do an in-office surgery right away. He aspirated the surrounding fluid and then cut off the stitch, which was about 2 inches long. I got to watch all of it on the ultrasound screen, and was VERY thankful I was still pretty numb from the surgery.
    Take care!

Never had this happen.
    Never had this happen. Sorry that it did to you. Update us on yourself and good luck with rads!

♥ Diane
  • Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93

Yes, Me too!
    Hi Sharon,

My site (masectomy) also opened up in the approx. dimensions you describe, yes a bit oozing - just a huge hole - they saw a hole in the scabbing and proceded to take off all the scabbing to reveal a HUGE hole...So, yes, packing (certainly NOT FUN!) for AT LEAST 6 weeks if I remember right...in fact it seemed like longer......It seemed like it would never heal but eventually it did, little by little and finally - "poof" no hole!

It is good you are taking anitbiotics and I know that packing is no fun at all, I am sorry you have to go thru this, I thought I was the only unlucky one.....because I, too, have been very unlucky I think...like if it is going to happen - you know - it will to me! (No doubt) haha..

Hang in there - it WILL heal. Keep up with your antibiotics and do your packing twice a day for sure. I have just had Rad #19 today....where are you in Rads?

Tracy

Day 10 for me in rads! My
    Day 10 for me in rads! My rad techs are actually packing the site for me before rads . . . so gross for them! Tonight is my last night with the extra layer of "skin" so I expect I will start to burn soon! I think the antibiotics are working, because it isn't nearly as "gross" as it was, but still it's a hole!! I was just so glad I was able to continue on with rads. I'll let you know how it goes!!

Thanks to all for the info! Packing is gross! I always thought "packing" ment you carried a gun! LOL
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Sharon40 said:

Day 10 for me in rads! My rad techs are actually packing the site for me before rads . . . so gross for them! Tonight is my last night with the extra layer of "skin" so I expect I will start to burn soon! I think the antibiotics are working, because it isn't nearly as "gross" as it was, but still it's a hole!! I was just so glad I was able to continue on with rads. I'll let you know how it goes!!

Thanks to all for the info! Packing is gross! I always thought "packing" ment you carried a gun! LOL

Hey Sharon
    That is good that it is starting to heal! It is great to have some help from the techs also. I know that it is not fun, my husband helped me out quite a bit. He was pretty used to "packing" since I had an appendectomy 3 mos. before cancer diagnosis..haha..now THAT was a huge, gross hole!!!!! I think he almost fainted when he saw that one for the first time!

When you say "extra layer of skin", do you mean the bolus? That actually sends the radiation deeper than without it - at least that is what I understood. Anyone else out there with comments? You can check on it but I am pretty sure that it radiates deeper (farther down) into your body. They have used one every time since day #1 on me.

Hang in there Sharon, it will heal when you are not looking some day and surprise you. Take care of yourself,
    Tracy
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Sharon40 said:

I am so sorry Sharon. Glad
    I am so sorry Sharon. Glad that the antibiotics are working for you!

Praying that you heal quickly and that you do well with the rest of your rads!

HUGS
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Sharon40 said:

If my oncologist or surgeon
    If my oncologist or surgeon laughed at this, I think I would slap them. I think that is very insensitive and unprofessional. Glad the packing is helping. Continuing prayers and positive thoughts for you!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Sharon40 said:

I am so happy that your
    I am so happy that your antibiotics are working for you. Hoping that rads go easy for you!

Sue :)
  • rm22111
    rm22111 Member Posts: 54
    I only had a small split on
    I only had a small split on each side after my first surgery. I also had dead skin. So, my ps had to go in and get rid of the dead skin and sew me up. The first time glue was used. I will hopefully get my stitches out Thursday. When I first asked my PS about what to do to heal better he mentioned the eating protein, but did not say anything about the vitamin C. My oncologist seemed more concerned about my not healing so he did a blood test and said my protein levels were very low. He had me go and get some protein shake powder. I was told to drink it twice a day. I found some great low sugar high protein chocolate shake powder at a local store that sells things like that. I also eat some kind of protein with every meal and I eat almonds for my snack each day. He also had me take vitamin c. So I take extra and I try to eat Vitamin c rich foods. I am healing much better now. But the PS thinks I also had a reaction to the antibotic onitment he was having me use so I switched to something else. If it is not one thing it is anohter. Good luck healing hope this helps.

rm22111