I am STILL alive!!!

blazytracy
blazytracy Member Posts: 157
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi! It has been awhile since I have written, sorry 'bout that..no excuse really. I have been reading other posts as I need to help me on MY journey every once in awhile. (I must be greedy!) And thanks, Marlene, for urging me to write.

I finished and survived 4 rounds of A/C on January 4th and am going for my 19th (out of 25) rad today.... My questions are: When you experienced radiation people have went 19 times, is your skin super red (like mine) and is your general body temperature all screwed up? Between the hotflashes (chemo-induced menopause) and the heat radiating out of my rad site (masectomy),and my freezing cold hands, I am a mess..Most of the time I just want to rip my clothes off and stand in front of a fan. hahahaha...How long does it take for the rad site to get better? (redness go away) I am not rebuilding anything (haha) Is your skin ruined forever??

Thanks, Tracy

(I will really try to write more)

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Hi, Tracy, and welcome back.
    Hi, Tracy, and welcome back. We've missed you and a few others as well. I have to say that my experience with rads was that I did get pink but not really blistered. I used aloe gel the entire time and nothing else. My redness went away within 2 weeks of completion of rads. I finished on 12/24/09 and still do have a nice tan. I continued to use the aloe for 2 weeks following completion. Other than that, I really had nothing to report other than a small amount of fatigue. So, no, your skin is not ruined forever. Mine is back to normal with the exception of the "tan". Good luck and continue to post. Take care.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hi Tracy
    Glad to hear from you. You're almost done! I'll be starting rads soon. Sorry you're going through all that. I'm sure it's not pleasant. Feel better soon.
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Welcome back!
    Although we've stayed in touch, it's great to see your pic on the board again. I just adore that picture of you & your hubby :)

As you know, I can't answer your question about rads because I'm just starting them, but I wanted to say I'm glad you're back and you're welcome!

Big hugs, Mar
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Glad to hear you are still alive!!!!!!
    I haven't started rads yet but have already bought two aloe plants to use when I do. I have heard that aloe is the best thing to use.

Hoping things get better for you.

Sending hugs and prayers.

Donna
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Happy you are back and
    Happy you are back and posting. I was really wondering how you were doing. I love these boards, but don't like the fact that we cant keep updated on everyone's progress unless they post. I think we all get a bit concerned when we dont hear from the gals. So happy you are finished with chemo and so happy to see you posting again.

I get my 7th chemo tomorrow with one more to follow so cant comment on rads just yet. Seems like all the chemo chicks are way ahead of me. I'm a little jealous but so happy everyone is getting on with treatment.
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Tracy
    How much skin reaction is different for everyone, but i got very red after the first 2 weeks and it got redder and hotter from there! I didn't have to cope w/hot flashes, so can't answer that one. I had 25 regular and 5 boosts...rad onc said the radiation would continue to "cook" for about a week after completion and then skin would heal rapidly. He was very right, I was amazed at how fast my breast healed up. I finished rads 22 Jan and have used the lotions since...most important right after you finish to keep that burned tissue nice and moist. I still have the "rad square" but it's fading.

Good luck w/the rest of your treatments....God Bless...
    Julie
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    I burned with rads and it
    I burned with rads and it took about a week after finishing before burn went away. Then I peeled and now I am just fine. Hot and cold, never know which one I am going to be. I have a fan next to me at night for the heat and lot's of blankets for the cold.
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Thanks Everyone SO MUCH for your kind and helpful comments!!
    I saw my Dr. today and got prescribed "another" prescription. I am now on Mometasone for itching and SSD (Silver Sulfadiazine - which was just prescribed today)for burns, also the Vinegar and Water soak. I have to say that today, and I am sure every one of the 6 days left, will continually get worse. Because today I feel like my chest is on fire. I can also feel the burn from the "scatter" of radiation in places that are not even red yet...like "above the line"...oh well, should not complain, I only have 6 left and I will make it I know.

And for those that know my story, you know that my skin is much thinner than most because of the immunosuppresant drugs that I have been on for 5 years...that may factor in too.

Thanks again for all your support...Tracy
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Thanks Everyone SO MUCH for your kind and helpful comments!!
    I saw my Dr. today and got prescribed "another" prescription. I am now on Mometasone for itching and SSD (Silver Sulfadiazine - which was just prescribed today)for burns, also the Vinegar and Water soak. I have to say that today, and I am sure every one of the 6 days left, will continually get worse. Because today I feel like my chest is on fire. I can also feel the burn from the "scatter" of radiation in places that are not even red yet...like "above the line"...oh well, should not complain, I only have 6 left and I will make it I know.

And for those that know my story, you know that my skin is much thinner than most because of the immunosuppresant drugs that I have been on for 5 years...that may factor in too.

Thanks again for all your support...Tracy

Hi Tracy. I didn't get
    Hi Tracy. I didn't get burnt during rads. I just got a dark pink and it was tender. I was really careful with my skin. I used a lot of Biafine and gobs of Aquaphor. I used Dove soap also. I continued to use the Aquaphor for weeks after I was done and my skin is great! Looks and feels like new baby skin. Hoping that you get thru your rads with no more pain or burning. Good luck! You are almost at the finish line!

Sue :)
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Ritzy said:

Hi Tracy. I didn't get
    Hi Tracy. I didn't get burnt during rads. I just got a dark pink and it was tender. I was really careful with my skin. I used a lot of Biafine and gobs of Aquaphor. I used Dove soap also. I continued to use the Aquaphor for weeks after I was done and my skin is great! Looks and feels like new baby skin. Hoping that you get thru your rads with no more pain or burning. Good luck! You are almost at the finish line!

Sue :)

Hi Tracy
    I am glad seeing you back. We missed you.
    As for body temperature, I wear three different pajamas during night and keep extra blanket by my side. I change depending on weather I get hot or cold. Usually 2-3 times per night. But it is getting better.
    Good luck with your treatment.
    New Flower
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Hi Tracy
    I am glad seeing you back. We missed you.
    As for body temperature, I wear three different pajamas during night and keep extra blanket by my side. I change depending on weather I get hot or cold. Usually 2-3 times per night. But it is getting better.
    Good luck with your treatment.
    New Flower

Happy to see you back Tracy!
    Happy to see you back Tracy! I didn't burn except got very dark pink next to my collarbone, but, the Biafine and Aquaphor took care of it. My skin looks great now that I am done with rads.

I don't have hot flashes, so, I can't answer you on that.

Good luck and Welcome back!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    laurissa said:

Hi Tracy
    Glad to hear from you. You're almost done! I'll be starting rads soon. Sorry you're going through all that. I'm sure it's not pleasant. Feel better soon.

Hey Tracy! Sorry that you
    Hey Tracy! Sorry that you have to go thru what you are. Soon rads will be in your past!

Hugs, Leeza