Fatigue during maintenance chemo

Options
froggy1
froggy1 Member Posts: 205
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hello Ladies,
I have resumed maintenance chemo(taxol every 21 days for a year) after my bowel resection. They keep telling me it's no big deal, BUT I am totally exhausted. I did get a call last week after my labs, saying my iron count was 11. This resulted in a $600.00 bag of iron infusion! LOL I have read that sometimes after bowel surgery malabsorbtion is a problem. I asked the doc and he said we would not know until after the chemo is over.
Has anybody experienced low iron during maintenance OR total fatigue? I just want to sleep all the time and can't keep up with anything. (It is 11 o'clock and I am still in my nightgown) My cancer counts are low and this is supposed to be my "good time."
Any input appreciated, Ginny

Comments

• Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    I start Taxol maintenance
    I start Taxol maintenance soon and will let you know, Froggy. I just finished Taxol/Carbo (6 sessions). The maintenance I am getting is supposed to be a reduced dosage. Is yours partial or full strength?

Carlene
  • froggy1
    Options

I start Taxol maintenance
    I start Taxol maintenance soon and will let you know, Froggy. I just finished Taxol/Carbo (6 sessions). The maintenance I am getting is supposed to be a reduced dosage. Is yours partial or full strength?

Carlene

Taxol maintenance
    Hi Carlene,
    Mine is a reduced dosage. I should know exactly, but sometimes I don't chose to pay attention to all the details! I don't have room for another filing cabinet! LOL Ginny
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    taxol
    Hi Ginny,

I've recently had my third infusion of carbo/taxol (3 of 8). I don't know if I'm taking the same strength, etc. as you are on, but I can tell you that I'm extremely tired. My oncology nurse says it's called chemo fatique. I don't know why, but different people seem to have different and changing reactions. Here's hoping that this will be temporary, but you're not alone. Please give in to that sleepiness and don't try to overdo. Hey, I fell asleep yesterday waiting in the car while my husband ran into the store to pick up a few things!
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • froggy1
    Options
    Mwee said:

taxol
    Hi Ginny,

I've recently had my third infusion of carbo/taxol (3 of 8). I don't know if I'm taking the same strength, etc. as you are on, but I can tell you that I'm extremely tired. My oncology nurse says it's called chemo fatique. I don't know why, but different people seem to have different and changing reactions. Here's hoping that this will be temporary, but you're not alone. Please give in to that sleepiness and don't try to overdo. Hey, I fell asleep yesterday waiting in the car while my husband ran into the store to pick up a few things!
    (((HUGS))) Maria

Taxol
    Hi Maria,
    Thanks for the response. I had 8 doses of the "heavy duty" carbo/taxol. What I'm getting now is a milder maintenance dose that isn't supposed to have much effect(????) I think my Doc thinks I should be running marathons! LOL This is nothing like the first round, but I still have laundry and dust everywhere! Ginny
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Maintenance Taxol
    I had 11 lower doses of Taxol of maintenance before my CA-125 started back up. I did not get extremely fatigued and handled it pretty good. I did take Energizing Iron from the Health Food Store and did not have any blood problems. It just quit working after about 9 doses which caused the halt after 11.
    Saundra