surgery tomorrow..

sanmb
sanmb Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello All,
Thanks for all your support so far. Finally the fearful day is there.. I am scheduled for my right mastectomy tomorrow.:(.. It is so hard to prepare myself..One time I feel ready and next in tears.. not even sure what's going on with me emotionally..

How long does it take to recover (or become new normal - which for me would be pain free)? when would I be able to sleep normally or do my household chores..? For now, I guess I should get some sleep...wish me luck, please.............

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck for your surgery tomorrow. I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't offer advice on the effects of a mastectomy. I am sure that others here that have been thru it will post for you. Sending you prayers too!

Sue :)
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Sending you good thoughts and prayers for tomorrow
    I was diagnosed last week and have an appointment tomorrow with the surgeon. I am thinking of you and hoping you will be on the mend and on your feet again soon. Please let me know how you are doing. To all the brave ladies who have gone through this before us,I send a big hug.
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Mastectomy was less painful than I expected
    I was surprised how little pain I had with double mastectomy Jan. 25. Things felt (and continue to feel) strange and sometimes uncomfortable, but I make a real distinction between discomfort and pain. Any pain was well controlled in the hospital with their morphine. Once home, I couldn't handle my narcotic pain pills (had nausea and vomiting second day), so I stopped taking them and found I didn't need them anymore. Now I use ibuprofen quite successfully when needed.

I could start household chores by week 3 or 4. Doesn't mean I could work for long at all, but I could do a load of laundry, or some dishes, or a bit of meal preparation. Some days are way better than others. Careful, though, it's really easy to over do it!

Normal sleep -- depends on what you mean. Six weeks later, I'm still sleeping in a recliner, but I'm getting good nights' sleeps. I'm just more comfortable propped at a bit of an angle instead of flat on my back.

You'll be blasted at first, so don't beat yourself up thinking you should be "normal" right away. Be patient, relax, surgery is hard on you! Hopefully, you are sleeping right now. I wish I'd seen your post earlier. I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow. I will be thinking of you.
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Sending good thoughts
    I wish I could "fix" all of us, but since I can't, I'll be sending you good thoughts tomorrow.

Victoria
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    KayNYC said:

Sending you good thoughts and prayers for tomorrow
    I was diagnosed last week and have an appointment tomorrow with the surgeon. I am thinking of you and hoping you will be on the mend and on your feet again soon. Please let me know how you are doing. To all the brave ladies who have gone through this before us,I send a big hug.

Good luck with your surgery!
    Good luck with your surgery! Sending you positive thoughts and prayers!
  • Lisa1967
    Lisa1967 Member Posts: 9
    Wishing you well
    I hope your surgery goes smoothly tomorrow.
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    I had a mastectomy of my
    I had a mastectomy of my left breast. I became an emotional wreck the night before my surgery too. I had been brave about it and I try hard not to think negatively, but that all went out the window when I realized what was happening. When I woke up from surgery, I felt extremely relieved... one, that it was overwith and two, that the cancer was finally out of me! The most difficult time of sleep I had was the one night in the hospital because they don't 'let' you sleep. I toss from time to time while I sleep, so when I was home, I slept hugging a pillow and when I would roll over onto my left side, I brought the pillow with me and tucked it slightly under me. I had two weeks off from work but felt like I could go back to work after a week. I think most of the time there are a lot of nerve endings cut during the surgery, so it's mostly numb. I had my surgery in August of 09 and I'm still numb in spots. I can't tolerate pain meds either but I honestly never needed them. If I started to feel anything at all, I took ibuprofin and it was enough. I'm sure you'll do fine. Just concentrate on the positive and that's that you will be cancer-free! And when you feel up to it, please let us know how you are.

Hugs, Mar
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with your surgery today. Give yourself time to rest and recuperate and let us know how you are doing, when you can!!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    MyTurnNow said:

Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with your surgery today. Give yourself time to rest and recuperate and let us know how you are doing, when you can!!

Sending you good luck today
    Sending you good luck today and praying for you!
  • mirj523
    mirj523 Member Posts: 22
    Surgery
    Sanmb, I wish you all the best today. The scariest part is over!!! I was so scared the days leading up to my left mastectomy with lattismus flap but once I opened my eyes after surgery it was fine. There is very little pain and it is controlled in the hospital. Take your meds when you need them do not try to be a hero too soon. I am doing great. I have been doing a little more each day, I just make sure I have relaxing time too and I go to bed early because we need lots of rest right now! I have one of those husband pillow things and prop myself up to sleep which is comfortable enough. Everything else can wait just concentrate on getting better and you will see that in a few weeks you will be typing a note to someone else letting them know how great you feel!!!!
    May God bless you, let us now how you are doing!!!!
    Mirjana
  • Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    good luck
    I had left mast on Jan. 26th after 2 other lumpectomy attempts. I can tell you I wish I had gone with the mast the 1st time (or atleast the 2nd). My first surgery was on Dec. 11th, so I went almost 2 months without moving my left arm around much! BIG mistake! Even with the drains, I wished I had been advised to move some!! I am paying for it now . . . physical therapy twice a week to try and get my range of motion and strength back.

I was freaked out before surgery day as well, but it really hasn't taken long to get used to it. I even think now, that I wish I had done some homework on double mast and been done completely! Who would have ever thought I'd feel that way!!

Rest, relax, don't push too hard. Let others help you when they can and be patient!! Time will pass and you will feel better soon.
    Stay strong and good luck to you!
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Thinking of you
    and hoping your surgery went smoothly today.

Let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it.

Take care,
    Cindy