Shout Out To All Of My Los Angeles Area Sisters!

chenheart
chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
On May 8th, I will be participating in my 5th ( I think) 5K for Women's Cancer. It is the Entertainment Industry Foundation Revlon 5k walk/run for Women's Cancer. It is always held on the day before Mother's Day , and it is soooooo incredible! There are at least 60,000 participants, if not more...my residual chemo-brain can't exactly remember!

It is NOT a race, though the runners are no doubt trying for a personal best! There are hats, t-shirts, sunscreen ( yeah!!) snacks, and even a gift-bag from the sponser, Revlon!

Anyway, google the Revlon 5K run/walk; there is one in NY and one in LA~ and I have already registered for the one in LA.

If any sisters in the area ( TraciInLA, KathiM) want to join me...that would be awesome!

Think about it, LA Kindred Spirits!!!!!

Hugs,
Chen♥

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    You give me hope, Claudia
    I love hearing about your participation in events like this, Claudia, because it gives me hope and encouragement that I WILL eventually get enough strength and energy back to participate in events like this with you!

Right now, recovery is such frustratingly slow going for me, and I know that May would just be too soon -- I have my sights set on the August 15th San Fernando Valley Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk.

I know it's not okay to solicit donations on this board, but I hope it's okay to OFFER them? I would be honored to donate to you or your "team" -- please PM me and give me the info whenever you have it.

Traci
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Don't forget
    your San Diego sisters:) Actually, I'm from L.A., only been living down here nine years, but I always driven up for the Revlon Walk. Don't know if I'll make it this year, though, just had my lumpectomy Thursday and quite possibly will be in the middle of rads by May.

BUT... if it's in the cards, I'd love to meet up and walk with you.

Victoria
  • chenheart
    TraciInLA said:

You give me hope, Claudia
    I love hearing about your participation in events like this, Claudia, because it gives me hope and encouragement that I WILL eventually get enough strength and energy back to participate in events like this with you!

Right now, recovery is such frustratingly slow going for me, and I know that May would just be too soon -- I have my sights set on the August 15th San Fernando Valley Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk.

I know it's not okay to solicit donations on this board, but I hope it's okay to OFFER them? I would be honored to donate to you or your "team" -- please PM me and give me the info whenever you have it.

Traci

Traci,
    I am sorry that your

Traci,

I am sorry that your recovery is not as fast as you would like it to be. August in San Fernando is probably a much better idea for you.

Thanks so much for the donation offer; if your event is also accepting donations, just give it to them~ in the end, it all pretty much goes to the same place, namely Kicking Cancers A$$!

Just remember that on May 8th,I am walking for you! As with the Relay, I envision all of the names on the boards and I chant them either under my breath or in my head as I walk...never to forget WHY I am out there! The Kindred Spirits are always with me!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • chenheart
    aisling8 said:

Don't forget
    your San Diego sisters:) Actually, I'm from L.A., only been living down here nine years, but I always driven up for the Revlon Walk. Don't know if I'll make it this year, though, just had my lumpectomy Thursday and quite possibly will be in the middle of rads by May.

BUT... if it's in the cards, I'd love to meet up and walk with you.

Victoria

Victoria,Don't you just
    Victoria,

Don't you just LOVE the event? Aside from just being there with all of the people, I especially love two parts of the event~ the drummers right before you enter the tunnel at USC, and then emerging from the tunnel into the stadium with 60,000 of our "closest friends" and the music and the flowers and the whole feeling of WOOT WOOT!

I will be doing the 5K with you and for you if you can't make it this year, ok? And if we are both there..we will somehow manage to find one another, ok? Plans will be made! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Heck, yeah
    Plans will be made. It's completely possible to find people -- we have cell phones!! I've walked it for eight years now, but never for myself, always for all of you. Oh well, I'll just add my name to the list on my back:)

I'll keep you abreast!!

Victoria
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    LA Chicks
    Hi Claudia, I am an LA chick too, and was wondering if I would be able to make it out there this year. The last two years there were three women in my office walking for us and I would so love to join them. Hopefully if all the surgery complications are finished I might see you there!
    Cat
  • chenheart
    cats_toy said:

LA Chicks
    Hi Claudia, I am an LA chick too, and was wondering if I would be able to make it out there this year. The last two years there were three women in my office walking for us and I would so love to join them. Hopefully if all the surgery complications are finished I might see you there!
    Cat

Hey Cat! That would be sooo
    Hey Cat! That would be sooo wonderful! As we get towards the end of April, let's all PM each other and exchamge cell numbers...we HAVE to meet up!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    I Think
    I think that is just so awesome. And even more awesome is that this is your 5th one. I plan to go to Dallas this November and help with the Susan G Komen 3-day run since I don't think I can actually do the run. Maybe next year.

Thanks for walking for us.

P
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    aztec45 said:

I Think
    I think that is just so awesome. And even more awesome is that this is your 5th one. I plan to go to Dallas this November and help with the Susan G Komen 3-day run since I don't think I can actually do the run. Maybe next year.

Thanks for walking for us.

P

Thank you for the invitation
    Claudia
    I would love to go. I am not sure if I can make 5 miles at this point. Where can I get more information about this event?
    Tracy,
    Can you provide give a link for San Fernando Valley even. It will be hot in August.
    New Flower
  • Youcandothis
    Youcandothis Member Posts: 79
    aisling8 said:

Heck, yeah
    Plans will be made. It's completely possible to find people -- we have cell phones!! I've walked it for eight years now, but never for myself, always for all of you. Oh well, I'll just add my name to the list on my back:)

I'll keep you abreast!!

Victoria

Keep that attitude!!!
    Everyone who wants to know how to cope with this particular beast just read these posts. We are one strong bunch of chicks and we will all of us kick cancer's a$$ for each other. I'll be away in may, but I'll be racing in august, two years post surgery. Victoria, I'm sorry about your diagnosis. Your attitude is exactly right to see you through this very tough time.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Central Cal Here
    Sense I am in central California I will have to walk with you in spirit...you go girls Chen you amaze me!

RE
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

Claudia
    I would love to go. I am not sure if I can make 5 miles at this point. Where can I get more information about this event?
    Tracy,
    Can you provide give a link for San Fernando Valley even. It will be hot in August.
    New Flower

New Flower,
    I just PMd you with the link to the San Fernando Valley walk in August. Nothing much there yet, but something to bookmark for now.

Traci
  • chenheart

Claudia
    Tracy,
    New Flower

New Flower, thankfully, it
    New Flower, thankfully, it isn't 5 MILES, it is a 5K which is 3.1 miles! And it isn't a race; one of the women who walks with me is 80+! (oh yeah, I have to keep reminding myself that I will be 61 this summer...OMG)There are baby strollers, young people, grandmothers, thin ones, fat ones, and everyone in between! And as many men as women. There are even shuttles along the route,"just in case!" If you Google EIF Revlon Run Walk, the site will magically appear for you! LOL

Hope to see you!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    I'll be there!
    I signed up last month to join a local HR group (PIHRA) that will be participating. I'm not sure I'll make the whole walk, but I'm going to try!

I'd love to meet up with you, Claudia, and any other sisters that will be joining as well.

PM me and let me know where you think we could meet.

See you!

Cindy
  • chenheart

I'll be there!
    I signed up last month to join a local HR group (PIHRA) that will be participating. I'm not sure I'll make the whole walk, but I'm going to try!

I'd love to meet up with you, Claudia, and any other sisters that will be joining as well.

PM me and let me know where you think we could meet.

See you!

Cindy

OMG! I don't know where, I
    OMG! I don't know where, I don't know how, but WE WILL MEET! For starters, we will exchange cell numbers, and then I will call you ( or you me!) saying.."It's 7:45, I just picked up my T-shirt and gift bag, and am headed for the First Aid station"...And I will meet you there! WOOOOT WOOOOT! Or something like that, anyway!!!!! AWESOME!

Hugs,Chen♥
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    chenheart said:

OMG! I don't know where, I
    OMG! I don't know where, I don't know how, but WE WILL MEET! For starters, we will exchange cell numbers, and then I will call you ( or you me!) saying.."It's 7:45, I just picked up my T-shirt and gift bag, and am headed for the First Aid station"...And I will meet you there! WOOOOT WOOOOT! Or something like that, anyway!!!!! AWESOME!

Hugs,Chen♥

Wish I could
    be there walking with you guys,but alas...I live in Ohio... Guess I will have to be with you in spirit!
    Hope you all have fun and are encouraged!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    chenheart said:

New Flower, thankfully, it
    New Flower, thankfully, it isn't 5 MILES, it is a 5K which is 3.1 miles! And it isn't a race; one of the women who walks with me is 80+! (oh yeah, I have to keep reminding myself that I will be 61 this summer...OMG)There are baby strollers, young people, grandmothers, thin ones, fat ones, and everyone in between! And as many men as women. There are even shuttles along the route,"just in case!" If you Google EIF Revlon Run Walk, the site will magically appear for you! LOL

Hope to see you!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Thanks
    Yes it is 5000 m and I should know it. How long can I blame a "Chemo Brain"? Are you coming from Santa Barbara to LA or you have your local chapter?Sorry for funny question, maybe Chemo brain again.
    New Flower
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I will investigate!
    I'm still in The Netherlands, it just stopped snowing here. A surprise! snow storm...we already were seeing signs of Spring...

BUT, I will be back to California later this month, and good to go till the end of June...I will try my darndest...I'll keep you posted...

Hugs, Kathi