MRI and CT scan

jk1952
jk1952 Member Posts: 613
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm going to have an MRI tomorrow: the first since my bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction (in 4/09) and then a CT scan next week. I have to admit that I really don't like MRI's (in fact, they freak me out) because of the feeling of being enclosed, and now they will become my routine diagnostic test each year. I would have a mammogram done any day when the alternative is an MRI.

But, I'm thankful that I have a new breast surgeon for follow-ups, and I really like her. My old surgeon retired, and I really miss her. She's compassionately delivered lots of news to me over the years, both good and bad, and she had a great 'instinct' about whether additional tests, or second opinions, needed to be done.

I'd love a few prayers tommorow. Although I'm not really worried, I know it will be a bit unnerving, when I get there, since I'll be in the same room where the last cancer was found.

Joyce

Comments

• prv
    prv Member Posts: 107
    prayers
    best wishes and prayers for you!
    prv
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Joyce,
    I'll be sending good thoughts your way tomorrow.

I know what you mean about feeling unnerved being in the same room again -- these "flashbacks" can be really difficult. I recently had an appointment with my primary care physician -- just routine, not related to my breast cancer at all -- and his office shares a parking lot with the mammography center. Just driving into the parking lot, looking at the mammography center sign, made me start panicking.

All these associations our brains make -- I know they're normal, but they're not easy, are they?

Traci
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    prv said:

prayers
    best wishes and prayers for you!
    prv

Sending you prayers!

Sending you prayers!
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    TraciInLA said:

Joyce,
    I'll be sending good thoughts your way tomorrow.

I know what you mean about feeling unnerved being in the same room again -- these "flashbacks" can be really difficult. I recently had an appointment with my primary care physician -- just routine, not related to my breast cancer at all -- and his office shares a parking lot with the mammography center. Just driving into the parking lot, looking at the mammography center sign, made me start panicking.

All these associations our brains make -- I know they're normal, but they're not easy, are they?

Traci

Hi Joyce, just to let you
    Hi Joyce, just to let you know you're not alone and we'll be thinking of you as you go thru your MRI and waiting to hear the good news. I can't do the MRI, can't be enclosed so my dr. orders a 3D ultrasound which takes about the same length of time, a little more physical and complicated but it gives enough info in place of the MRI. Let us know when we can raise our glass with you.
  • shelbyhome
    shelbyhome Member Posts: 145
    I will be praying for you. I
    I will be praying for you. I hate the MRI they gave me drugs and had my husband hold my hand and I just prayed all thru it and kept taking deep breaths.
    Good luck to you!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

I will be praying for you. I
    I will be praying for you. I hate the MRI they gave me drugs and had my husband hold my hand and I just prayed all thru it and kept taking deep breaths.
    Good luck to you!

Good luck!
    I am sending you positive thoughts and lots of prayers!
  • jk1952
    Kylez said:

Good luck!
    I am sending you positive thoughts and lots of prayers!

Thank you, everyone! I have

Thank you, everyone! I have to go into work for a couple hours before the test...I'm hoping that I'll become absorbed in something there and will forget about the MRI. The enclosed space really bothers me.

Traci, I know exactly what you mean. We go past the hospital where I had my mastectomy on the way to Syracuse University basketball games. The first few times, I had a very uncomfortable feeling as I passed by. And, my husband has voiced that he feels like he's headed to the hospital to visit everytime he takes the route toward the hospital.

Joyce
  • lizziejane
    lizziejane Member Posts: 69
    jk1952 said:

Thank you, everyone! I have

Thank you, everyone! I have to go into work for a couple hours before the test...I'm hoping that I'll become absorbed in something there and will forget about the MRI. The enclosed space really bothers me.

Traci, I know exactly what you mean. We go past the hospital where I had my mastectomy on the way to Syracuse University basketball games. The first few times, I had a very uncomfortable feeling as I passed by. And, my husband has voiced that he feels like he's headed to the hospital to visit everytime he takes the route toward the hospital.

Joyce

MRI
    HOW LONG DOES AN MRI TAKE TO COMPLETE?
    IF I DECIDE ON SILICONE, MY PS SAYS I HAVE TO HAVE AN MRI AFTER 3 YEARS AND THEN, EVERY TWO YEARS AFTER THAT...I'VE NEVER HAD ONE AND DO NOT KNOW HOW I WILL HANDLE IT...IS IT JUST AN E-RAY THING IN THE TUNNEL LIKE THING??? ARE THERE ANY NEEDLES INVOLVED???
  • jk1952

MRI
    HOW LONG DOES AN MRI TAKE TO COMPLETE?
    IF I DECIDE ON SILICONE, MY PS SAYS I HAVE TO HAVE AN MRI AFTER 3 YEARS AND THEN, EVERY TWO YEARS AFTER THAT...I'VE NEVER HAD ONE AND DO NOT KNOW HOW I WILL HANDLE IT...IS IT JUST AN E-RAY THING IN THE TUNNEL LIKE THING??? ARE THERE ANY NEEDLES INVOLVED???

My MRI took about 20

My MRI took about 20 minutes. You lay on your stomach with your breasts hanging out a couple holes (like a stereotactic biopsy). You go foot first into a tube, with your head staying outside. It isn't as bad as an MRI of your back where you are totally inside the tube, but it is a bit unnerving if you don't like tight places.

Before the test starts, you are hooked up to an IV. Contrast solution is injected about halfway through the test. They have improved considerably in the past few years. I don't like them, but I made it through fine and went out into one of the first sunny 50-degree days of the season, so life was good.

Joyce