Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's back to work I go..

sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
And I just can't believe it. Honestly, I feel like Pam from Dallas "It was just a dream" albeit, a bad one. It's been 3 months exactly from surgery and I have either pampered or pitied myself - both of which mean I was in bed or on the couch.

To those of you who have worked through this - you are tough cookies and totally amazing!

Sue

Comments

• cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Good luck, Sue!
    It will probably be a bit of a reality check to get back to work, but it does also help to take the focus off the cancer by having something else to occupy your mind.

Don't overdo it - just keep listening to your body and rest when you can.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Thanks
    I worked through my chemo, RADS, everything. There were days when I prayed for strenghth just to stay on my two feet. You will make it. Just take it slow and don't try to jump in like nothing was ever wrong with you. Try to conserve your energy. Park close to the building. Use the elevator. Don't lug yourself down carrying stuff.

Good luck,

P
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Good luck, Sue!
    It will probably be a bit of a reality check to get back to work, but it does also help to take the focus off the cancer by having something else to occupy your mind.

Don't overdo it - just keep listening to your body and rest when you can.

Take care,
    Cindy

Good luck to you going back
    Good luck to you going back to work. Just take it as easy as you can.

Sue :)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    aztec45 said:

Thanks
    I worked through my chemo, RADS, everything. There were days when I prayed for strenghth just to stay on my two feet. You will make it. Just take it slow and don't try to jump in like nothing was ever wrong with you. Try to conserve your energy. Park close to the building. Use the elevator. Don't lug yourself down carrying stuff.

Good luck,

P

Wishing you good luck!
    Hugs,

Wishing you good luck!

Hugs, Leeza
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Whistle while you work...
    Good luck tomorrow. Take it easy and I bet it goes great!!

Victoria
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    aisling8 said:

Whistle while you work...
    Good luck tomorrow. Take it easy and I bet it goes great!!

Victoria

Take it as easy as you can!
    Take it as easy as you can! Good luck!
  • kms3566
    kms3566 Member Posts: 57
    Good Luck Today!
    Please post on how it goes. I had a double mastectomy on 1/29 and have not been back to work yet. My 1st chemo treatment is on Wednesday 3/10 and I plan to go back to work on Monday 3/15. I hope I am being realistic.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Sue, all I can say is take
    Sue, all I can say is take it easy. Try not ot overdo but I agree it will take your mind off bc. Good luck today and rest if you need to. Let us know how it went. Take care.
  • sbmly53
    MyTurnNow said:

Sue, all I can say is take
    Sue, all I can say is take it easy. Try not ot overdo but I agree it will take your mind off bc. Good luck today and rest if you need to. Let us know how it went. Take care.

I made it!
    I worked all day and I am tired, but it's a good tired and not that nasty old fatigue. Of course, having said that, fatigue is waiting to pounce.

I see my onc tomorrow for the next step. I think that is going to be Arimidex, but not sure.

Thank you all for your support! I am going to shower now so I can sleep as late as possible tomorrow (almost 7). I am not a morning person. It will be a very early bedtime tonight.

Hugs,

Sue
  • Cairmaid
    Cairmaid Member Posts: 64
    sbmly53 said:

I made it!
    I worked all day and I am tired, but it's a good tired and not that nasty old fatigue. Of course, having said that, fatigue is waiting to pounce.

I see my onc tomorrow for the next step. I think that is going to be Arimidex, but not sure.

Thank you all for your support! I am going to shower now so I can sleep as late as possible tomorrow (almost 7). I am not a morning person. It will be a very early bedtime tonight.

Hugs,

Sue

Good for you!
    Congratulations on your first day back to work! Taking a shower at night is a great way to get an extra 20 minutes of sleep. However, I'm back to staying up later than I should to post messages :-)

I stopped carrying my very heavy purse. It helps keep me from getting physically and emotionally tired, as in "I really don't feel like lugging this thing back to the car." I put my checkbook/credit cards/ID's in my coat pocket. I'm not missing the purse much but I'll have to figure out something else to do by summer, when I no longer have coat pockets.

I've also been taking my lunch to work and eating at my desk...I'm really good at concentrating on my Facebook games and ignoring the activity around me. If you have a lunch room or other place you can get to easily, it saves time and wear & tear on your energy level, instead of going home or driving somewhere else to eat.
  • Flakey_Flake
    Flakey_Flake Member Posts: 130
    Happy Work Wishes to You
    I always though the song went "I Owe, I Owe, so Off to Work I go." Thats how it is in my case. Except that now I don't have a job, and doubt anyone would want to hire an overweight, bald, chemo-brained person with numb fingers. I am happy for any of those who not only have a job to go to, but the strength to go to it.

I totally understand what you mean by pampering and piting yourself. I have been doing the same, but am trying to get out of that mode. Since I am done with chemo, I feel like I have more energy too.

I wish you all good things in your return to the work world. Hopefully your job isn't physically strenuous.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    That's
    great news,Sue!
  • sbmly53

That's
    great news,Sue!

I made it!
    Worked a full 40 hr week. I plan to sleep a lot this weekend. Will definately miss the 'spring ahead' hour.

Thank you all for your encouragement!

Sue
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    sbmly53 said:

I made it!
    Worked a full 40 hr week. I plan to sleep a lot this weekend. Will definately miss the 'spring ahead' hour.

Thank you all for your encouragement!

Sue

AWESOME!!!
    Glad you made it through the week now go to bed. :)

P
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    back to work, a good thing!
    When I went back to work after my double mastectomy it was very difficult in the beginning.
    No one knew what to say to me, and I know my skin tone was gray and I was barely able to stand by the end of the day. NOW....12 months later--work is my salvation!!! It distracts me from my new look :( and distracts me from the pending doom I usually feel. I love my job and even though I would like to retire in a year or so, I probably won't. Just know that as time passes, it DOES get better.