Got marked for radiation yesterday

Diana77
Diana77 Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I went yesterday and had another ct and they marked me with red ink. I was shown the room to wait in and i have my very own cubby for the punk gown im to wear. I never cry and i think that it hit me yesterday that i have breast cancer. I hate ct scans!!! For some reason Im clausterphobic or paniky or something. My doc was there to run the machine and everyone was very nice, but I suddenly realized this is not the club I wish to join and am suddenly frightened. This place is pretty awsome. It offers free weekly massage and yoga and tai chi at no charge. A lending library etc.,but i never cry and did at least ten times yesrerday. Also have cording so three timees week to pt. There also great. Took me off tamoxifen yesterday for one week due to side effects. Just need a safe place to share my feelings. The marks i dont like at all.

Comments

• sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Diana,
    I know exactly how you feel. I just finished my course of radiation, so it wasn't too long ago that I was 'marked'. Big X's and lines in red and dark blue - right up to my collar bone and it showed with the shirt I was wearing. I cried, too.

But, now I know that it was one more step bringing me closer to the end of this road. 33 treatments seemed to go on forever, but suddenly, I am done! Next step!

We all have these moments that take us down when we should be going ahead. Take a deep breath. We are all here for you.

You are in my thoughts and prayers, dear girl.

Sue
  • Apat
    Apat Member Posts: 13
    Diana, I'm so sorry for the
    Diana, I'm so sorry for the day that you had. Yes, I've experienced similar days. We can almost pretend nothing is going on and feel like we did before diagnosis until we are "marked" in some way as a reminder. I'm praying for you.

Angie
  • chipoo
    chipoo Member Posts: 32
    Hi Diana,
    We are both in the

Hi Diana,
    We are both in the same boat. I will be getting marked on Monday and starting 33 radiation treatments soon after. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Marjorie
  • Diana77
    Diana77 Member Posts: 16
    sbmly53 said:

Diana,
    I know exactly how you feel. I just finished my course of radiation, so it wasn't too long ago that I was 'marked'. Big X's and lines in red and dark blue - right up to my collar bone and it showed with the shirt I was wearing. I cried, too.

But, now I know that it was one more step bringing me closer to the end of this road. 33 treatments seemed to go on forever, but suddenly, I am done! Next step!

We all have these moments that take us down when we should be going ahead. Take a deep breath. We are all here for you.

Sue

Thank you,

Thank you,
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Apat said:

Diana, I'm so sorry for the
    Diana, I'm so sorry for the day that you had. Yes, I've experienced similar days. We can almost pretend nothing is going on and feel like we did before diagnosis until we are "marked" in some way as a reminder. I'm praying for you.

Angie

So sorry Diane. Praying
    So sorry Diane. Praying that it will all get better for you!
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    It's OK to Cry
    We never know when it is going to hit us, but eventually it does. It finally slaps us in our faces that we have cancer and this is some serious shtuff. I glad your team is good to you and helps you through it. You make sure you come to the boards when you need to unload. We are here for each other.

P
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Diana
    This is such a great and safe place to share; we've all walked down that path and know...it's ok to cry and vent and hate that you have to go thru treatments of any kind. Will be praying for you! Blessings...

Julie
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    aztec45 said:

It's OK to Cry
    We never know when it is going to hit us, but eventually it does. It finally slaps us in our faces that we have cancer and this is some serious shtuff. I glad your team is good to you and helps you through it. You make sure you come to the boards when you need to unload. We are here for each other.

P

Keeping you in my prayers!
    Keeping you in my prayers! I am so sorry.

Hugs, Debby
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    jbug said:

Diana
    This is such a great and safe place to share; we've all walked down that path and know...it's ok to cry and vent and hate that you have to go thru treatments of any kind. Will be praying for you! Blessings...

Julie

Hi Diana,
    Oooh, I know just how you feel about being clausterphobic. I will never have an MRI unless they give me IV Sedation! I did have a CT when I was hospitalized but it was the abdomen, the machine was an open donut and it didn't take but a couple of minutes and I was pretty sick. I've only had chemo and no rads but I have thought about if I ever do that I would have to take a ton of Ativan to get thru it. Which brings me to my suggestion, before I have any procedure (including a port flush) I take an Ativan cause I'm relaxed. Maybe something like that would help get you thru.

Your center sounds wonderful and that will be a help. If this is the first time you cried, you needed it. It hits me every once in a while that I'm a cancer survivor and although I'm thru with treatment, I'll never be thru of "it". I've cried 100 times and more. Only a couple of times a real boo-hoo but lots of tears. It's a great release and nothing to be ashamed of. We don't get extra bonus points for not showing any emotion so when the mood strickes, let it go and come on this board and we'll all give you cyber hugs.

Keep everyone posted with your progress...

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • dlannon82
    dlannon82 Member Posts: 3
    Tatoos
    Five months out of radiation, and on a silly internet questionnaire being circulated among family and friends, yesterday I answered that I have 4 tatoos. Knowing my feelings about his one, discreet tatoo, my son wrote back saying, "Mom, you do NOT have 4 tatoos." I laughed, realizing I had finally claimed them for my own as a sign of my recovery. And some day you will, too! Your feelings are normal. Good luck!
  • dlannon82
    dlannon82 Member Posts: 3
    Tatoos
    Five months out of radiation, and on a silly internet questionnaire being circulated among family and friends, yesterday I answered that I have 4 tatoos. Knowing my feelings about his one, discreet tatoo, my son wrote back saying, "Mom, you do NOT have 4 tatoos." I laughed, realizing I had finally claimed them for my own as a sign of my recovery. And some day you will, too! Your feelings are normal. Good luck!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    sbmly53 said:

Diana,

Sue

We all get hit by the fear,
    We all get hit by the fear, the treatment, or, just plain the fact that we have breast cancer and the tears start flowing. It is very normal, and, happens to all of us. Keep your chin up and good luck to you!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    dlannon82 said:

Tatoos

I cry when confronted with
    I cry when confronted with this as well. i am a little embarrassed, but OH well. its scary. i am having my planning on the 18th then start rads too. I am hoping i can use my check off list attitude. I hadradiation inthe past so its not ashard as the chemo just dreading the drive, and how much my skin will react. Oh well one daya t a time.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    The thought of a TATTOO was
    The thought of a TATTOO was terrorfying to me. I envisioned big Xs or 'crosses' or who knows what! Much worse than anything else.

The first day when they mapped I only got one 'tattoo'/dot. Thought they had quite a bit of drawing all over there were only a few 'intersections' that they wanted preserved so they put tegaderm over those and said go ahead and wash the rest off - just try to not wash them off as it would take a bit more time to redraw them before the other tattoos were done.

In the end - the "tattoo" are only small dots no bigger than a freckle and no one will ever see them other than me, Hubby, and my Dr's/nurses.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Rague said:

The thought of a TATTOO was
    The thought of a TATTOO was terrorfying to me. I envisioned big Xs or 'crosses' or who knows what! Much worse than anything else.

The first day when they mapped I only got one 'tattoo'/dot. Thought they had quite a bit of drawing all over there were only a few 'intersections' that they wanted preserved so they put tegaderm over those and said go ahead and wash the rest off - just try to not wash them off as it would take a bit more time to redraw them before the other tattoos were done.

In the end - the "tattoo" are only small dots no bigger than a freckle and no one will ever see them other than me, Hubby, and my Dr's/nurses.

I go on Thursday for my tattoo
    I guess we're all "marked women"... Not looking forward to it, but at least you'll know you did everything you could to beat this thing. From what the radiologist told me I feel it's the right thing to do. and it doesn't hurt! much...
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I'm clausterphobic too. What
    I'm clausterphobic too. What I did for the ct scans was close my eyes and pretend I was in the open room.

Hang in there. Hugs.