Children after Chemo & Radiation?

jpattersonkw
jpattersonkw Member Posts: 4
I'm 27 and 6 months post chemo & radiation. I was diagnosed on Christmas Eve 2008 with Mediastinal Diffuse Large B-Cell NHL. I was trying to conceive my second child when I was diagnosed.

Are there any young women out there who have had children after this disease? I don't feel well enough to jog around the block, much less have a baby though I desperately want to.

Will my overall health (and menstrual cycle) ever return?

Don't get me wrong...I thank god for my healthy 2 year old son but can't help wishing for the things that "normal" people get to have and do.

Comments

• merrywinner
    merrywinner Member Posts: 626 Member
    I don't know
    I don't know the answers to your dilemma but do have an interesting bit of info. While discussing my upcoming chemo with my MD he was talking about the hair loss and said I would lose my hair and that the only person he has treated that did not lose their hair was a pregnant women and said it was probably the extra hormones. He added that both the Mom and baby are fine. I was astounded! Best of luck to you.
  • smileoften48
    smileoften48 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Hi
    Just felt like I had to comment. I know this was from last October but just wanted to offer my story. I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease in 1989. I had chemo and radiation. My treatments and diagnosis appears to be different from yours but I was told having children would be very difficult if at all possible. I was 28yrs old when I was diagnosed and I became pregnant at 35. I did get off "the pill" during treatment and was advised by one of my doctors to stay off of the pill for few yrs to "let my body rest" from it. If you have any other questions for me let me know. Good luck in becoming pregnant.
  • Hi
    Just felt like I had to comment. I know this was from last October but just wanted to offer my story. I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease in 1989. I had chemo and radiation. My treatments and diagnosis appears to be different from yours but I was told having children would be very difficult if at all possible. I was 28yrs old when I was diagnosed and I became pregnant at 35. I did get off "the pill" during treatment and was advised by one of my doctors to stay off of the pill for few yrs to "let my body rest" from it. If you have any other questions for me let me know. Good luck in becoming pregnant.

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

2 girls post treatment
    I was 29 when dx'd w/HD. 3 Yrs after rads, I had a daughter. The HD reoccurred while I was pregnant. Treatment was chemo after she was born. 2 yrs later, I had another daughter! They are almost 14 and 17 now. Best of Luck to you!!
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator