scar tissue question "worry"

jennN
jennN Member Posts: 40
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,

Does anyone have large masses of scar tissue from their mastectomy? I had surgery in August and have a large mass about the size of a tablespoon right where I had my tumor. It stresses me constantly. I've asked about it, but the doctor seems to think it's fine. I had my mammogram (on the other breast a few weeks ago..all was fine), but they didn't do an ultrasound of the mastectomy side...just palpitation. What determines when an ultrasound is used? Is anyone else lumpy like this?

Thanks,

Jenn

Comments

• Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Scar Tissue
    Jenn, although I currently don't have scar tissue lumps, they seem to be very common. You should hear from others soon. Just wanted to send some reassurance right away.
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    I'm lumpy too
    I have the same sort of problem. I have lots of small spots of scar tissue that make me worried all the time. When I saw the physical therapist shortly after surgery she showed me how to do scar massage to keep the scar tissue from forming. It worked as long as I kept doing it, but when I stopped the scar tissued formed anyway. If I do the massage now it will make the lumps smaller and softer, which helps me relax about what the lump actually is.

I've had the doctor look at it twice and I get the same thing you do - no testing and advice that it is nothing to worry about. I don't see the doctor again until April but I plan to ask about it again. They're follow-up plan for testing the mastectomy site is a chest x-ray every six months followed by an ultrasound only if there is something on the xray they want to look at. I can tell this is going to be one of the things that is hard for me to live with.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    scar tissue
    Hi Jenn, yes I had scar tissue. I had a partial mastectomy, and the lump formed gradually.
    They said it was from the radiation, and is fairly common. It was directly under the tumor site. I had a mammo, an ultrasound and an MRI, all showed no tumor but could only state "unknown" mass. That was the main reason I went for the reconstruction because the docs said they could remove the scar tissue along with all the radiated skin that seemed to be part of the cause for the lumps, and there would be less worry. Because no matter how many tests you get stating otherwise, a lump equals stress on some level.
    I would try to push for an MRI/ultrasound, just for your peace of mind.
    Cat
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    scar tissue
    Hi Jenn, yes I had scar tissue. I had a partial mastectomy, and the lump formed gradually.
    They said it was from the radiation, and is fairly common. It was directly under the tumor site. I had a mammo, an ultrasound and an MRI, all showed no tumor but could only state "unknown" mass. That was the main reason I went for the reconstruction because the docs said they could remove the scar tissue along with all the radiated skin that seemed to be part of the cause for the lumps, and there would be less worry. Because no matter how many tests you get stating otherwise, a lump equals stress on some level.
    I would try to push for an MRI/ultrasound, just for your peace of mind.
    Cat
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Me too
    I was told the same thing as Mickeymom by my physical therapist. Sometimes you just have to keep massaging it and use counter pressure when stretching. Like stretch one way but put pressure on the site and kind of "push it" the other way. She does a lot of massaging for me and I have to say it has really worked for me.

Helen